Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
"We Will Have Our Dinner When the Sun Goes Down"

This is a summer habit I attribute to my aunt, who partially raised me. She got into this habit after visiting Greece. Greeks do not like to eat a heavy meal during the daytime heat.

My aunt.......

The Greeks (and my aunt) were onto something. Here in B.C., we are still floundering through an extended heat wave. During the white-hot heat of the day, the appetite is zilch.

One of my aunt's favourite sundown meals was a Greek "nibbler plate" as she called it. Pita, humus, olives, cold meatballs, chicken, or lamb, cheese, stuffed grape leaves, spiced yogurt dip, some raw veggies - delicious.

Is this something you do too? If so, what is your favourite sundowner meal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GreekPlatter15-thumb-596x350-252309.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	244347  
Old 07-31-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I do not do this, FaN, preferring my main meal no later than mid afternoon, but your posts are always fun to read.

I am going to Greece, you know......end of September, cashed in my miles which paid for almost all of it. I'm not getting any younger.

At any rate.....one small group activity I signed up for is a meal in a tavern with live music.

I scheduled the lunch meal because it starts at 3:30pm.....as opposed to the dinner meal which starts at 9:30pm.

Looks yummy....enjoy.

Maggie
Old 07-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Back in the early 1970's, while station in Greece (U.S. Navy), I saw this during the hot periods. For the most part, the Greeks, in mass, shutdown about 1:00 P.M. and start to come out in early evening. All the shop and resturaunts close during this time and re-open around 6:00 P.M. and stay open until mid-night. It's a wonderful way to stay cool and save energy when it's really hot outside. The Navy also followed by going to "Tropical Hours" since the local contract labor's would not work while it was so hot.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Just south of here they have four traffic jams daily. Back to work after the midday meal and siesta. Plenty hot.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I do not do this, FaN, preferring my main meal no later than mid afternoon, but your posts are always fun to read.

I am going to Greece, you know......end of September, cashed in my miles which paid for almost all of it. I'm not getting any younger.

At any rate.....one small group activity I signed up for is a meal in a tavern with live music.

I scheduled the lunch meal because it starts at 3:30pm.....as opposed to the dinner meal which starts at 9:30pm.

Looks yummy....enjoy.

Maggie
Maggie, like my aunt, you are an amazing woman. My aunt's name was Margaret, but most people called her "Maggie." When she came back from her month in Greece, she was almost fluent in the language! She then taught me the language, but I have forgotten most of it - except for one phrase: sagapo para poli. "I love you." I was also immersed in Greek mythology, which is fascinating. If you can, read a bit beforehand because it will acquaint you with the Greek culture.

Have the time of your life - Opa!.....and this one's for you!.....

Old 07-31-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
For the most part, the Greeks, in mass, shutdown about 1:00 P.M. and start to come out in early evening. All the shop and resturaunts close during this time and re-open around 6:00 P.M. and stay open until mid-night.
Not all that different from the traditional Mexican siesta, and for the same reason.

That picture of the nibbler plate in the first post looked an awful lot like something my former neighbors from Romania used to prepare, right down to the stuffed grape leaves. Only difference, they put tomato sauce on the stuffed grape leaves.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Cute, Fan, and thanks.

I don't look to be doing any of that dancing , but may get to watch some.

Hadn't thought about reading Greek Mythology.....will see what I can find.

Maggie
Old 07-31-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Made two pots of Mahshi ( stuff grape leaves) last week.
It is one of our favorite dishes.
We have our own grape vine, from my grandparents house.
So just head to our back yard to pick the grape leaves,
then blanch them, make the stuffing with lean ground meat, rice, cinnamon,salt, pepper and tomato sauce. Then we sit around the table and roll the grape leave with grandkids or who ever wants to learn.
In our family this has been passed down now through four generations.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

All the above posts re: Greek culture have my taste buds yearning. The video from Fly @ Night....all. I can say is OPA!OPA! It was hard to stay in my seat as I watched and listened! I resisted the urge to jump up and join in , but,feel sure this aging body would have ended up in the E.R. Tonight! LOL! Thanks for the uplift, F@N! BTW, WHAT IS THAT DANCE CALLED?
Reminds me about 20 yrs ago...Joe took me to a Greek restaurant in Denver, they served me UZO....I had never tasted it before, and a bit of a lite wt re: alcohol. After the drink, we were invited to join. In the traditional dance, and before it was over, the entire restaurant clientele were dancing. It is a wonderful memory!

Maggie, I urge you...do actively participate, given the opportunity....just pretend Doug is dancing with you. If need...just dance 1/2 or 1/4 time, but, immerse yourself and enjoy the experience! Wish I could go with you! God bless. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Evelyn. I may.....

I'm also a lightweight with alcohol, but looking forward to trying UZO.

Am also signed up for a small-group cooking class.....you prepare a traditional Greek meal...then eat it.

It may well be eggplant, which I despise, but I will give it my best shot.

Maggie
Old 08-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

My Joe was Italian, and I enjoyed the Italian cuisine...perhaps a bit too much at times. For Joe, I learned to cook Italian, truly enjoyed serving him his favorite...lasagna. I eventually replaced my southern and scotch Irish method of cooking with a pairing of Italian and as much healthy foods as I could. I still love to cook Italian, in the cooler months.
Greek food seemed to fit in quite well. My favorite Greek restaurant closed a year ago. Still looking for replacement.
Enjoy the culture, the food, and the wine! Did I say I wish I could go, too? LOL!
God bless. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1955 18' Globetrotter
Carrollton , Texas
Looks like I know what I'll be getting this weekend! Yum! Love Greek food - and I like the idea of cold meatballs - with the triple digit heat, anything cold sounds wonderful. ;-)
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
///Bump///

It's too hot to cook.

I doubt if my aunt would approve (she thought fast food was an abomination) but tonight I made a huge Caesar salad....topped with six McNuggets from McD's. I poured the hot mustard dipping sauce into the Caesar dressing. It wasn't bad.

Not bad at all.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That sounds quite tasty and nice thread resurrection.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
That sounds quite tasty and nice thread resurrection.
Hi Hittenstiehl, thanks. It would work well on the road too. The Caesar salad fixings are in the AS; now, all we have to do is find a McD's.

I really liked the hot-mustard dipping sauce infused Caesar salad dressing.

Think I'll have the same thing tonight!

Tasty travels to you too.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
The Buffet Table of Memory

**bump** it's not only that time of year again, but have been thinking about my aunt.

My aunt was crazy. I was partially raised by my aunt. So, you know where I get it from.

One of the few sane moments involved cooking. I enjoyed helping her prepare food for a "do" as she would call it. This little buffet was a favourite. We made it winter and summer. The photo was obviously for a holiday "do." Not Christmas dinner, but I bet it was for a "do" sometimes between Christmas and the New Year. We would also make it in the summer. The menu consisted of....

Roast turkey
Roast ham
Potato salad
Green salad
Cranberry
Pickle platter
Home baking

The only thing that was omitted in the summer was the Purdy's Chocolates in the silver dish (lower right of photo). Purdy's is a Vancouver institution -- akin to See's Chocolates in San Francisco/LA.

Very basic by today's standards. Defintely not a meal for "foodies," but people seemed to enjoy it (then). The crisp green salad was always popular. My aunt's secret was running the iceberg lettuce, cucumber, tomato and onion under cold water, then letting it sit in the cold water (with ice) in the sink. The dressing was a simple corn oil/vinegar mix, with a liberal sprinkling of salt and pepper.

I think I'll make that salad tonight...for the memory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aunt marney0001.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	348335