Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
wavebox microwave - anyone have it?

I dumped my microwave - took it to the office because it was too big for very small counter, a bit heavy to move around and generally something I only use once a week or so... but I was watching HGTV today and saw this portable designed for construction workers. I like it. Whatdayathink?

The WaveBox Portable Microwave

Paula Ford
Old 09-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Paula,

That looks really cool. I just dumped my micro also.....just didn't hold up to the rigors of trailer travel. As this one is portable, it is probably built to take a beating.

It also looks like the 120VAC and direct-to-battery 12VDC connections will provide the unit with the necessary amperage to get the full 660 watts of cooking power from the unit.

I'll have to get with Cabelas and check one out!

Thanks for posting the link!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Franklin , Tennessee
Gerry,

We very much appreciate your interest in the WaveBoxTM – the worlds first and only portable microwave lunchbox!

Cooking times in AC 115v and direct to battery mode are like your home microwave. A cup of hot water takes maybe 2 minutes to get hot enough for coffee. Heating times when using DC through a 20amp power outlet are about double that.

Unfortunately, the wait for the WaveBoxTM in the United States goes on due to final pending approvals from the FDA. The final approval date is unpredictable because the FDA works on a schedule that is theirs alone. We are hopeful that we will be able to ship in the next 45 days, but we really cannot predict the FDA timing – it could be longer. Rest assured, the WaveBoxTM is a safely built, well performing product, and the FDA approvals are close to completion.

To note, we are currently selling the WaveBox in European markets, and will be in touch with all of our European customers who have been waiting shortly. All other major global markets, including Canada, will be served in the next 2-3 months.

Once we receive FDA approval, we will email you to advise that its time to order your first-off-the-production-line WaveBoxTM. At that time, you may enter your credit card information and actually pay for a WaveBoxTM. You have no obligation to do so, but we will hold your premier delivery spot in line for 30 days after we are ready to take orders. We will also announce at this time any retail locations where you may find the WaveBox.

Thank you for sticking with us – and we look forward to sending your WaveBoxTM soon.

Regards,

Bob
The WaveBox Team
nangoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Found something else interesting

World's Smallest Microwave - the iWave Cube - Switched: Gadgets, Tech, Digital Stuff for the Rest of Us

Spotted this on AOL today - the i-Wave. At least it's small.

Paula
Old 03-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Paula to Paula

Hi!

I too was getting very excited about the new iwave - Sharper Image is the only place you can buy it and they just filed for Chapter whatever. So I guess we better snap these up before they're all gone. They retail for about $149 and are only available in black currently - however, there were plans to introduce the "silver" (our color) later in the year. So hopefully another retailer will step up and carry this line. paula
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasa
Hi!

I too was getting very excited about the new iwave - Sharper Image is the only place you can buy it and they just filed for Chapter whatever.
Aren't they available at Sky Mall? Also, at the size of a small ottoman, it sounds like they would present the same space consumption issue that a Wal-mart special would have for 1/3 the price.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Size of MICRO wave

When I did my research a few weeks ago - I believe the dimensions are about 12 X 12 X 13 - basically a cube. I did go the SkyMall website today, but couldn't find these little babies - maybe I didn't look hard enough. I'm flying next week so I'll check the SkyMall magazine. I'll report back here unless someone else does so first.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I tried Sky Mal online and it says the IWave comes from Sharper Image, if you click on add to cart I get this
We're sorry, but the system was temporarily unable to process your request.

I sure would like a silver one. Not having space for one, if I am dragging it out it might as well be gadgety, even if I have to shove my food in a cup.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
gotta have one!

OK, I'll check the Sharper Image store near me and see if they at least have the black ones on the shelf. Surely someone else will step up to carry these.
Maybe I can source the silver ones on my travels across the pond.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I tried Sky Mal online and it says the IWave comes from Sharper Image, if you click on add to cart I get this
We're sorry, but the system was temporarily unable to process your request.

I sure would like a silver one. Not having space for one, if I am dragging it out it might as well be gadgety, even if I have to shove my food in a cup.
Hi Carol!
FYI, Sharper Image is in bankruptcy reorganization.
There might be deals out there!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Michael, good idea! I called our Troy Michigan store, same listed price, darn, but they have one white one now and three black ones coming. It's more than a hop skip and a jump from here but then we are going shopping...perhaps, perhaps.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
We're in the process of ordering our 28' Safari SE which only gives us the the option for a microwave or gas oven and not both.

We're opting for the oven since we like to bake and we don't do much in the microwave except defrost and heat up.

I was looking at compact microwaves and even the smallest ones are upward of 40 to 50 poinds. That's way to much weight to schlep. The wavebox looks like it could be a good option.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
For want of a handle....

I had a small Sharp that wasn't so much heavy as awkward. I just hated having to stow it under the dinette, then dig it out every time I travelled. If the darned thing had a handle on the top, it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

I have the 25 FB SE - with the narrow pantry, but the other day I was looking and went "HMMMM?" I'm going to get myself in trouble BUT, didja notice that there is an almost 4 inch void BETWEEN the pantry and the inside wall of the bathroom? Well look where the folding room divider nests... and takes up room forward of the pantry? The room divider takes up about 8 inches toward the CENTER of the Airstream. Between the side bulkhead and the rear of slot for the folding room divider there appears to be a void ...2.5 inches plus 2 layers of 1/2 inch particle board.. and then you have the pantry. I'm not 100% sure, but if there isn't a plumbing vent in that wall, and if one were willing to cut the pantry down to countertop height, there might be enough room for a microwave... on a counter. Sort of the same size as the tiny Tappan in the 27 FB.

Of course I've also been playing with the idea of ripping out the counter, getting a lobster bowl sink and putting in a two burner stovetop. Then there would be some counterspace for a small Tappan Microwave. I've never used all three burners on my stove at the same time.

Of course if my new Dutch oven (i.e. "colonial crockpot") works as well as I think it will, I may just say "chuck it" to the gas oven and trade it in on a convection microwave one. KISS theory you know.

Paula
Old 03-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Or as yet another alternative

I could just give in and buy a 27 FB SE....

Paula

After all, it does also have a much bigger closet!.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
I could just give in and buy a 27 FB SE....

Paula

After all, it does also have a much bigger closet!.
How many new Airstreams do you want Paula?

We have the micro/convection oven and it really does a good job with microwaving and oven baking. I actually think it has a slightly larger oven than the gas oven that comes standard. My wife bakes at least once on nearly every camping trip we take plus she does things like baked potatoes, rice, and thawing/reheating in the microwave. It works well for our family.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote