Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Volcano Stoves ~ anyone use one?

OK, it's y'all's fault . . . sorta.

I got to reading the Dutch Oven thread (a good thread, BTW) and went investigating Dutch ovens on the web when I ran across this little gem. It's called a Volcano Stove. Albeit, not the cheapest camp kitchen item on the market, it looks to be extremely versatile. It can be fired with wood, charcoal brickettes, or with an optional propane burner attachment. It can be used as a portable campfire similar to Campfire-in-a-Can, Yukon Legend, or Port-a-Fire. There is even a collapsable version for saving packing space.

Yep, had to have one, it's on it's way. But I'm curious to know if anyone in Airstream land has had experience with this stove. I found the best prices and free shipping at EndlessVariety.com.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
OK, it's y'all's fault . . . sorta.

I got to reading the Dutch Oven thread (a good thread, BTW) and went investigating Dutch ovens on the web when I ran across this little gem. It's called a Volcano Stove.
Yep, had to have one, it's on it's way.
That Dutch oven thread got me to pull out my ovens and get them ready for the season. I also saw that Volcano Stove. Lots of gadgets out there, but this one looks like it would be quite functional, especially where friends and campground operators would take exception to one digging a Dutch oven cook hole in their lawn.

I'll be looking for your reports on the new stove!

DJ
Old 03-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Looks pretty interesting - I'm lookng forward to hearing more about it.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Home made variety

I saw something very similar last year. It was bigger and I just couldn't figure out what was so familiar about it, so I asked the owner where he'd gotten his neat fire basket/stove. Turned out he'd gone to the junkyard, taken the basket out of an old washer, drilled three holes through the bottom, and made legs out of old bolts, then used it as a fire basket for over four seasons. slap a grill on top and it was a cookstove. Said his was almost burned through by now so he would be looking at curbs and dumps for a replacement.

I like the look of this though, and I agree it's a decent thing to use when the campground objects to on-the-ground cooking. I plan to use my Weber baby-Q the same way. Hope it's sturdy enough.

Paula
Old 03-19-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
You can do some pretty efficient cooking on just a large size barbeque lighter-sort of a lower tech Volcano stove.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
It here . . .

The Volcano arrived. I bought the collapsible one and just from looking at it out of the box it's pretty cool and I'm looking forward to using it. The stove is 12.5 inches across so a 12" dutch oven ought to fit in there just perfectly above the coals. But I don't have a dutch oven (yet) and probably won't get a chance to try it before the Cherry Blossom Rally.

I'll get some pics up when I start experimenting.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Volcanic Adventures

Last week I finally got a chance to play with the Volcano when camping at Shellmound on Nickajack Lake. Yeah, right, try it at the Cherry Blossom Rally ~ what was I thinking?

Here's what you get in the box: The stove itself, a propane burner with hose, regulator, and attachments (if you ordered it), a small grate, and larger grate, and a heat diffuser that fits over the propane burner when used. The grates and difuser are heavy-duty weighing as much as the stove itself. All fits nicely into the zippered balistic nylon storage bag.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8355.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	60125 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8358.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	60126

When lifted by the bail handle, the stove opens easily and the legs extend. The top of the stove is 12.5 inches in diameter. You can compare the size against a fairly standard camp fire ring.

Name:	DSCN8359.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	60127 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8361.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	60128

I set up to cook with a charcoal fire. The small grate fits into the bottom of the stove and the large fits on top to act as your grill or cooking surface. I used a charcoal chiminey starter to make coals than placed the appropriate on the lower grate. There is a vent at the base that can be adjusted for more or less air flow.

Name:	DSCN8365.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	60129 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8366.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	60130

Stay tuned . . . .
Old 05-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Adventures in Cooking

OK, I’ve NEVER cooked with a Dutch oven before. I went to the Lodge factory in South Pittsburgh, TN, just a few miles from my campsite. Those Lodge camp ovens are HEAVY. So I’ve wimped out for now with a GSI anodized aluminum #12 Dutch oven. I would really like to have a well-used vintage #12 Griswold or such, but I’m still searching. I swear the old ones are lighter weight than the newer Lodge versions.

Remove the upper grate and a 12 inch Dutch oven fits perfectly into the Volcano. So I mixed a quick test batch of biscuits, inverted a pie pan in the oven, preheated the oven, and placed them on foil in it. In about 20 minutes this is what I had. Not the best batch I’ve ever made, but certainly not the worst. I need more Dutch oven practice ~ it really is an art. I have since been told that several Mason jar canning rings in the bottom make the best trivet ever for Dutch ovens.

Name:	DSCN8367.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	60132 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8372.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	60133

Then I fired up more coals and tried a rice/vegetable dish in my trusty #8 Griswold skillet. It turned out perfectly.

Name:	DSCN8375.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	60134 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8378.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	60135

Bottom line: So far I love it, glad I bought it. If you use Dutch ovens, this is your answer when you can’t dig a pit.

I’ll try the propane next time. It stands to reason temperature control would be similar to any other gas stove and easier to manage. Eventually I’ll try using the Volcano as a free-standing wood campfire pit, but it will require appropriately sized wood.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I have one. Very nice to have when you are trying to use a 12 inch dutch oven when it's windy. You don't spend all your time getting a new batch of coals going to keep the heat, and it doesn't require as many brickets to cook with as it traps the heat and keeps the wind from cooling the pot.

It's very easy to setup and collapse.

My only beef with it is it's made by Camp Chef for Camp Chef dutch ovens: Lodge and Cabela's 12 inch dutch ovens don't fit like they should.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Great thread folks!!

Sweet!! we tried using our dutch oven this spring when it was super windy, and being total dutch oven newbies even with a wind shield and oven thermometer, it didn't work so great the temps were too hard to control for us (recognizing our newbie status here) so I'm thinking this volcano thing looks good!! thanks for the great thread and photos sugarfoot!!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sequim , Washington
Thanks for the report and the fine photos! Looking forward to more of both.

DJ
Old 05-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Now we're cooking with gas!

No photos right now, but I've tried the propane attachment. It assembles quickly and easily. Regulating cooking temps are naturally easier and more precise with the propane. Cooking is basically the same as your gas stove. We didn't do anything fancy this time, only popcorn in the dutch oven which we ate in short order.

It has an air intake mechanism below the burner that can be adjusted with a thumb screw. Interestingly, if you close it completely to air and it becomes a tall inefficient but fuel-rich flame just like the propane portable campfires. Kinda gives a whole new meaning to the name "Volcano" stove. Eventually I'm going to try some ceramic logs and push the multitasking on this thing a little further.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #13

Rather not , Utah
A new link

I was reading your post and followed the link you gave but the page it went to said it could "not load the infomation requested." So, I found the people who make the Volcano. They're here.
Griller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
This Thread Makes Me Hungry

Ummmm.....I'm thinking that some of Dacia's "Bread Pudding" sure would be good about now.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Ummmm.....I'm thinking that some of Dacia's "Bread Pudding" sure would be good about now.
Y'all and that "bread pudding". I think it's really the Jack Daniels sauce that you want. You just have to come to the Can Opener to have a taste.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #16

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Y'all and that "bread pudding". I think it's really the Jack Daniels sauce that you want. You just have to come to the Can Opener to have a taste.
Sauce....Why I never considered such a thing...

Well maybe just little bit...

Ohhh who am I kidding...

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Salt Lake City , Utah
Hello All...

I have been using Volcano Stoves for many years now and wouldn't part with my odd collection. Although I don't have the propane attachment, I know what these stoves can do. They sure put out a lot of heat with a minimal amount of fuel.

A few years back, the word here in Utah was that they were going out of business, which was hard for me to believe. I still see them selling locally and it doesn't surprise me because they have such a good product. Some of the best bbq's I ever had were grilled on Volcano Stoves. I've even seen people use them indoors at large events, but wouldn't recommend that inside an rv or camper.

You won't be disappointed once you get the hang of cooking on these type of stoves!

That's my five cents worth...
agentsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Looks a lot like me Cobb SS cooker, which I read about here on Airforums...

Cobb Portable Grill from Cobb America - The Ultimate Cobb portable grill, BBQ, Smoker and Cooker.

Except the Cobb won't accept a dutch oven...

I love the Cobb for it's easy and efficient operation - most meals use only about 8-10 briquets...

I cooked a whole chicken on the Cobb using 10 briquets, and added some wine/water into the 'moat' in the bottom for added moisture, and the chicken was great after about one hour...the 'dome' on the Cobb gives the dutch oven effect...

The whole rig is SS, so no rust, and when home, you can toss it all in the dish washer for a good cleaning...

I actually bought ours online from Target for the best price I found for a grill with some options...

The Volcano looks like a great oven as well...
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
If the Cobb is of interest, I found another site with an extensive review of the grill...

Cobb BBQ

The current model has SS mesh around the bottom that stays cool while in use - not the black material shown in the review...
Old 05-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Maple Plain , Minnesota
Volcano Stoves

Just bought one myself and have only used it once so far. Have the propane attachment and the fire-resistant cloth dome (made from similar cloth that forest-fire fighters carry as a safety blanket). This should allow me to eliminate top coals on the dutch oven and/or use the system in snotty weather.

The dome was in the $30 range, pricey but seemed to make sense. I'm going to make some slip-over tubular leg extenders to raise the stove up off the ground for easier tending

I'll send photos soon as I use it again. Maybe early next week.
tomp1937 is offline   Reply With Quote