Old 03-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Pork chops, (one each or more if you are hungary)
Season with salt & pepper to taste
Top with a THICK slice of white or yellow onion ( about 1/2" thick slice on each chop)
Cover with Cream Of Mushroom soup, undiluted
Bake at 350* until juices in chops run clear.

MM MM good

1991 34' 60th Aniversary Limited Edition #008
2007 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
One big parade float & a 40' Wells Cargo 5th wheel trlr.

"Wake each morning & Smile at the GREAT DAY you about to experience"

www.catson4ponds.com
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Another cat's favorite pretty low tech
I remember the one with tuna, cream of mushroom soup, milk instead of water in the can, and egg noodles. Oh I think there were peas in it too, canned peas.
Ahhhh - you just described an old favorite - tuna noodle casserole. We did ours a little more upscale though - we used frozen peas.

You know - maybe I'll do it for dinner Friday!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
A quick version of creamed turkey on toast or rice called for onion sauteed in onion, cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup with a half can of milk, cubed turkey meat and a few dashes or worcestershire sauce.
That should read onion sauteed in butter.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
That should read onion sauteed in butter.
I thought you REALLY liked onions. LOL! ...I sure wish we could edit our own posts for longer than a few minutes.

I do not have a recipe other than my wife makes a great "kicked up" Cambell's Chicken Noodle by adding some expertly grilled chicked breast. I do have a question though... Where are y'all finding this Vintage Canned Soup?
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I'd say if you did get ahold of any vintage soup, don't open the can!!! Campbell's has history pre 1890. Campbell Soup Company - History I used to have the Campbell Kids mugs, now my children have them for theirs. I call the recipes vintage because they were handed down from our moms and grandmoms. Once the soup was advertised on TV I think it really became a staple in every kitchen.
Attached Images

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
Susan - you mentioned the canned (tuna style) chicken but I'll betcha it's also good with a can of tuna instead of the chicken.
I am not a tuna eater, but those who do would probably enjoy it!

And funny side story about cats and cans--my two have eaten Science Diet dry food every single day of their 11 years. I have NEVER fed them people food or treats. I have been doing a bunch of research on good cat food and found that wet food is strongly recommended, especially as the cats get older (gives them water). I got them some wonderful smelly wet stuff and set it out for them yesterday. They both turned up their noses and walked away! One of them went back and licked at it a little, then walked away again and didn't go back. Wow. I have some weird critters.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
vintage canned soup recipes

One of my favorite recipes (and I don't know why I don't make it more often) is Pocupine Meatballs. I believe that it was a recipe on Campbells Tomato Soup back in the early-mid 1960s. I haven't seen the written recipe for several years, but the basic idea was to make your favorite meatball recipe subsituting Minute Rice for the bread crumbs then baking the meatballs until they were nicely browned and evenly done. Then the meatballs were placed in a baking dish and covered with one can of Campbells Tomato Soup, one can of water, and one can of Minute Rice (I usually double the sauce recipe as it is quite popular around my house). The casserole is then baked until the rice is done and the sauce is rich and bubbly.

I am also something of a recipe book collector and found the following two books that have some interesting Manufacture and Name Brand recipes:

Forgotten Recipes From the Magazines You Loved . . . and the Days You Remember. Compiled by: Jaine Rodack, The WIMMR Companies, Memphis, TN 1981.

The Old-Time Name-Brand Cookbook . . . Recipes, Illustrations, and Advice from the Early Kitchens of America's Most Trusted Food Makers. Compiled by: Bunny Crumpacker, Abradale PressHarry N. Abrams Publishers, Inc. New York, NY 1998.

The first of the two books has an unusual recipe for Beet Aspic -- I remembered Tomato Aspic as a staple of Sunday dinners growing up, but had never heard of Beet Aspic.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Sunny South , Florida
Could you remind me, what is aspic? I love beets and that sounds interesting.
Another recipe, Aunt Martha's green bean casserole baked with "cream of anything soup" and those crunchy little pre-packaged onion ring things, delicious! And you can even use fresh green beans to make it healthier.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Kevin, those look like great cookbooks! I found them at Amazon and the Old-Time Name-Brand cookbook had this comment, "I would call it a compendium of social, industrial, culinary, agricultural, USAmerican women's history...it's homey,...quite usable...and the many contexts in which recipes are invented, reproduced, and prepared..." Of course you knew that having collected them. I think I would like to have those too. Thanks for pointing them out.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/SimpleLife
Could you remind me, what is aspic? I love beets and that sounds interesting.
Aspic is one of those dishes that I have never known whether to class as a desert, salad, or side dish. I think that the earliest versions of the recipe had their roots in the Knox Gelatin recipes. It is listed as a salad in the book. Basically, the beets are drained and the juice reserved. The beets are placed in a large Jello Mold. Knox Gelatin is made with the beet juice and enough additional water to complete the gelatin recipe -- the cooked mixture is cooled to room temperature and poured over the beets -- the dish is then refrigerated over-night, unmolded and served. This recipe also calls for vinegar and several other spices to be added to the beets prior to the gelatin.

Kevin
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Carol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Kevin, those look like great cookbooks! I found them at Amazon and the Old-Time Name-Brand cookbook had this comment, "I would call it a compendium of social, industrial, culinary, agricultural, USAmerican women's history...it's homey,...quite usable...and the many contexts in which recipes are invented, reproduced, and prepared..." Of course you knew that having collected them. I think I would like to have those too. Thanks for pointing them out.
I use both of them on a fairly regular basis. In both cases, the recipes have been updated to reflect current practices. What I enjoy is the fact that most have no more than six or eight ingreadients and most are readily available in almost any market, as well as the fact that few require excesses of kitchen equipment so are practical for travel. The one place where they have remained true to the original versions of the recipes is that butter is still specified (I don't remember any that mention margerine) and some specify flavoring with pan drippings.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 PM   #26
B&D
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1955 22' Safari
Columbus , Indiana
A little water in bottom of dish, chicken breast, cream of chicken soup, a package of dried onion soup (golden) a small onion sliced very thin seperate and put on top. 350 for 2 hours. Take out chicken breast add cooked light & fluffy noodles to broth serve. My Grandkids love it......
Old 03-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
I've been seeing an ad on TV for Campbell's Cheesy Chicken and Rice casserole. It actually sounds pretty good. Here's a link to it...
Casserole Kitchen - Recipe Detail - Campbell's® Cheesy Chicken & Rice Casserole

Looks like I'll have to keep a can or two of Canpbell's in my Airstream pantry.