Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #21
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Bacon !!!

We do this...

BAKE your BACON! Yup.. at home, when we have been shopping, just pop a slab or two in the oven on a 'drip' or 'broil' pan.. all the drippings fall away any you cook til aaaaalmost done. Remove, laying the strips on paper towel then roll them up and stick in a ziploc! You can throw the bacon into your cold storage and bring out JUST what you need, even if frozen!!! So, it works at home, too.

On a trip, should you be able to enjoy a campfire, the bacon fat paper towels make GREAT firestarters....

Scramble up your eggs, cool, then freeze in some cheap ziploc containers... remove, heat along with your bacon and you are good to go!

Crack up your eggs and put them in the same ziploc containers.. make quick 'portion' meals. especially if you add seasoning before chilling / freezing.

Spaghetti or pizza sauce with some BACON, thin sliced and pre-cooked sausage or meatballs can be mixed in a ziploc bag, frozen/chilled then warmed to pour over a nice French Bread for open=face sandwich or traditional...

You 'can' cook 'canned biscuits' on a propane stove... put a heavy pan on stove, put a 'pie tin' upside down in the pan, place biscuits on TOP of the inverted pie tin (yes, it can be those cheap aluminum one-use pans), not the door of your Airstream... then place the pot cover over the top... a LOW to Low Medium heat should get it warm enough to bake your biscuits.. you can try at home before ruining a meal on the road... and you can feed the birds any mistakes...

cooked salmon in the can also can be stored without cooling, then warmed in a skillet propane/electric, with some pre-cooked egg-noodles. Throw a handful of peanuts in the pan for a little different experience... also, a little seasoned oil goes a long way to adding flavor.. or a dab of peanut butter...

Potatoes can be pre-baked/nuked... then heated as you cooked the biscuits above... when you cook them, clean/wash them, dry, then roll in olive oil before baking... try it... you can re-heat or slice into other dishes... and you can cook a mess of them up in the oven at home.. then ziploc and freeze. I also like to cut a piece of butter into the wrapper with the oil or add a slice of bacon and cook together...

Salad fixin's are also easy to prep then chill and transport... and you can keep your frustrations in check with a little KNIFE action in a nonthreatening activity.

Spaghetti can also be boiled, slightly dried, drizzled with olive oil then ziploc bagged. You can then warm it by dumping the bag into a pot where you heated up the marinara, choice of meat or not... or alfredo sauce ... don't forget the Vino~`` a "one pot masterpiece"...

Happy Streamin!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eastside , Washington
Wow, so many suggestions. I have work to do here.

My husband does the cooking at home. Since he does the heavy lifting while trailering, I pick up the cooking. I like the planning and packing.

Today I looked through the instant meals at REI. Basically variations on what I'm already doing, so no new ideas there. Not surprising, since we've camped many times with just the backpacking stove and eaten our share. I did pick up a packet of bananas foster and a packet of apple cobbler. I have no problem finding dessert.
quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eastside , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bessie1968 View Post
Well, I have the same problem. Typically my husband is the cook of the house, but when we camp he always asks me what's for dinner. ??? You tell me!! My strategy - BRING THE BBQ. It makes him nuts to watch me grill! We have a tiny little BBQ in the camper so I bring these tiny bacon-wrapped filets from Walmart to go, or in advance I take chicken breasts and dump them into a double-bagged ziploc with some bbq sauce or thai peanut sauce. worst-case scenario, I toss them in a pan and bake them so the camper heats up. Most of the time he hates to bake meat.
I also stock up on yes, the anti-Martha STAG CHILI!! Haaa! It's actually really good, I hate to admit, with a little sour cream, onions, and shredded cheddar on top.
If it makes you feel any better, we went camping once with my non-camping sister and brother-in-law. They pulled up with bins of homemade food... brownies, crispy treats, cookies, fancy cheeses, fresh berries... AS WE WERE FEEDING OUR TODDLERS WHEAT THINS AND CHEESE WHIZ STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!! LOL! To me, I work so hard during the week to provide good meals for the family, camping is about less is more and the ability to eat crap like pop tarts. Good luck!!
Chili. I like the Nalley's chili on instant rice.

I will admit our lunch is usually either wheat thins and brie or fritos and bean dip. Oh, and raspberries to make it nutritious!

Had poptarts for breakfast. At work no less.
quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
If you are the campfire type, get a couple of the Rome brand pie irons and the recipe book they put out. Easy and lots of fun to cook this way; the options are endless. Foil packet dinners on the grill or over the fire are another simple way to go. Lots of recipes out there for both methods.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
If you are the campfire type, get a couple of the Rome brand pie irons and the recipe book they put out. Easy and lots of fun to cook this way; the options are endless. Foil packet dinners on the grill or over the fire are another simple way to go. Lots of recipes out there for both methods.
Hey there, fellow Illinoisan!

Are you coming to the Moraine View rally the second weekend in June?

Not too late to sign up.

Maggie
Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Unskilled, unmotivated cook needs recipes

Greetings Quilter!

I enjoy using my crockpot when traveling in the Airstream or Argosy. My Overlander has me spoiled as it has solar power with an inverter allowing me to have the crockpot in operation while traveling. My favorite recipes include:

Rivel Soup -- German Potato Dumpling Soup

In Crockpot, mix the following:
  • 32 ounces chicken stock
  • 32 +/- ounces Water (enough to fill crockpot to about 1" below top)
  • 6 to 8 Medium Idaho Potatoes -- peeled and diced 1/2" to 3/4" cubes
  • 3 teaspoons salt
  • 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
Set Crockpot to High until the stock just starts to simmer then turn control to Low.

In the meantime, heat a medium skillet and saute the following in Extra-Virgin Olive Oil:
  • 1 Large Yellow Onion coarsely chopped
  • 4 to 6 cloves Garlic finely chopped
When onions are golden, remove the pan from heat and stir into the crockpot mixture.

Finally, prepare the Rivels:

Place a large saucepan with at least 1 quart of water on stove to boil.

In a medium bowl, place 3-cups of all-purpose flour, making a well in the center. Break 3 large eggs into the well, and place 2-tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive oil in the well. A teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black peper. Mix thoroughly . . . the dough will be stiff and slightly crumbly . . . if too crumbly, gradually add milk to form dough.

Drop dough into boiling water by scant teaspoon. Cook the rivel until they just begin to float . . . transfer the cooked dumplings to the crockpot to simmer with the soup.

The soup will typically be ready to eat approximately 2.5 hours from point of initial simmer in the crockpot . . . the tenderness of the potatoes is the determining factor. Bacon cooked to crisp state and crumbled on top makes a wonderful garnish as does your favorite cheese.

Simple, Quick Crockpot Spaghetti

In Crockpot, combine the following:
  • 3-Cups V8 Vegetable Juice (or generic equivalent)
  • 1 large (8-oz) can Tomato Sauce
  • 1 large (12-oz) can Tomato Paste
  • 2 envelopes McCormick Thick N Zesty Spaghetti Sauce Mix
Mix the above until well combined. Set crockpot on high.

In medium skillet, brown 2 pounds lean ground beef, drain grease, then add to crockpot. Return skillet to heat and add 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil. Saute one medium Yellow onion finely chopped with 4 cloves of garlic finely diced . . . . then add to crock pot.

When the crockpot just begins to simmer, turn control to low. I generally allow the sauce to cook in the crockpot for between 4 and 6 hours. About 90 minutes before we are ready to eat, I add one pound of angel hair pasta broken in half . . . gently mixing into sauce . . . when the pasta is done to your liking the spaghetti is ready.

I have varied the above with many kinds of pasta and it always seems to be quickly devoured.

Simple, Quick Crockpot Chili

• 3-Cups V8 Vegetable Juice (or generic equivalent)
  • 2 envelopes McCormick Original Chili Seasoning
  • 2 large (16-oz) cans Red Kidney Beans
  • 1 large (16-oz) can Dark Kidney Beans

In medium skillet, brown 2 pounds lean ground beef, drain grease, then add to crockpot. Return skillet to heat and add 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil. Saute one medium Yellow onion finely chopped with 4 cloves of garlic finely diced . . . . then add to crock pot.

When the crockpot just begins to simmer, turn control to low. I generally allow the chili to cook in the crockpot for between 4 and 6 hours. The chili is ready for consumption when the beans are done to your liking. I generally have sharp cheddar cheese and finely chopped onions for garnish.

Crockpot Sloppy Joes

• 2-Cups V8 Vegetable Juice (or generic equivalent) -- may add up to 2 additional cups as necessary to produce the consistency that you desire in your sloppy joes
  • 3 envelopes McCormick Sloppy Joe Seasoning Mix

In medium skillet, brown 3 pounds lean ground beef, drain grease, then add to crockpot. Return skillet to heat and add 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil. Saute two medium Yellow onions finely chopped with 6 cloves of garlic finely diced . . . . then add to crock pot.

When the crockpot just begins to simmer, turn control to low. I generally allow the sloppy joes to cook in the crockpot for between 4 and 6 hours. The sloppy joes are ready when the flavors have combined to your liking and sauce is well thickened.

Corn Dog Casserole

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Liberally butter 9" x 14" pan

In large mixing bowl, combine:

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cup Quaker or Aunt Jemima enriched corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten

Beat batter until well blended. Add 1-pound of all-beef weiners cut into 1/2" to 3/4" pieces, and fold into batter. Empty batter into prepared pan and bake in 400 degree oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with your favorite corndog condiments.

These seem to be popular when warm as well as when leftover from the refrigerator.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Fellow Illini , I wish I could but I will be in Canada fishing.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
upper sandusky , Ohio
Smile

I love my crockpot as well, wash potatoes, poke w/fork, wrap in foil and put crockpot on low, these bake in about 4hrs and the toppings are unlimited, left over potatoes go into the fridge for slicing into tomorrows breakfast, scrambled eggs and precooked bacon and you are all set>
johnsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
Fellow Illini , I wish I could but I will be in Canada fishing.
Well, it happens down here every June.

Maggie
Old 05-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #30
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Become a packet queen! Packet Cooking is a low hassle, high reward way to make great meals.

Take a long a small propane grill and cook your entire meal on it - no dishes to wash!

Make sealed foil packets of veggies (can be done at home) and then a separate packet for some wedged up potatoes. Keep the packets fairly small so they cook quickly. You can cook enough veggies for two or three in one packet.

The trick here is to use veggies that cook at the same rate. For instance fresh green beans and baby carrots makes a good mix. Sprinkle them with some salt and pepper and any seasoning and then drizzle on a little olive oil. Seal it up and cook, turning once. Do the same for potatoes - cut in large bite sized pieces. These will take about 20 minutes on a medium hot grill and you can cook some meat alongside.

Packet cooking is also great for meats that a re messy on the grill - salmon fillets, shrimp, etc. Again - you can do these ahead and keep in the fridge for a day or two or just make them on site. Be sure to tightly close the packets!

Good combos using fresh ingredients

• Asparagus and button mushrooms
  • Sliced zucchini and red peppers
  • Green beans and carrots
  • Boneless Chicken breasts with 1/2 ears of corn and tomato edges
  • Salmon w/ asparagus spears and lemon

Frozen foods:
  • Frozen, cleaned Shrimp w/ frozen corn, sliced peppers and tomato wedges and some cajun seasoning (serve over a pot of rice)
  • Italian green beans (flat beans) with sliced onion and wedged tomatoes, season with garlic, oregano and basil and use extra olive oil. Serve over boiled pasta with a steak on the side.
Here's a link to a bunch of good ideas: 50 Things to Grill in Foil : Recipes and Cooking : Food Network
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	packet1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	185627   Click image for larger version

Name:	packet2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	185628  

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsgirl View Post
I love my crockpot as well, wash potatoes, poke w/fork, wrap in foil and put crockpot on low, these bake in about 4hrs and the toppings are unlimited, left over potatoes go into the fridge for slicing into tomorrows breakfast, scrambled eggs and precooked bacon and you are all set>
You can bake in a Crock Pot? Will wonders never cease…
Old 05-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Sounds like you need a Crock Pot cookbook.

Maggie
Old 05-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Protagonist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The crock pot is nearly as versatile as the cast iron dutch oven. Depending upon the plans for a trip, I have been known to carry two crock pots and two dutch ovens. I have found that just about any recipe designed for a dutch oven can be carried over to a crock pot . . . the biggest difference is that you usually need 120-volt AC for the crock pot.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

While reading through the thread, I began thinking about another easy cooking method while camping. My two favorite cooking tools while out and about with the Airstream are my crock pot and cast iron Dutch Oven. The Dutch Oven can be particularly useful when you know that there will be a camfire involved in the activities. My favorite, and comparatively easy Dutch Oven recipe is for Bonfire Baked Beans:

Bonfire Baked Beans

Equipment Needed:

· Well-seasoned 6 to 8 quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven
· Dutch Oven Handle/Tool (optional)
· Hot coal scoop
· 12-18 Charcoal Briquettes
· Lighter fluid
· Heavy-duty Aluminum Foil

Ingredients:

· Dried Beans – need to be soaked overnight in water
o 1-lb Great Northern Beans
o 1-lb Navy Beans
· 2 – Medium Onions finely chopped
· 6 – Cloves Garlic “smashed” and chopped
· 2 – 15 oz. Cans Tomato Sauce
· 1 – 12 oz. Can Tomato Paste
· 1 – Lb. Hickory Smoked Ham Hock or similar cut
· 1 – Lb. Hickory Smoked Bacon (breakfast slice works best)
· 2 – Teaspoons Ground Mustard
· 2 – Teaspoons Salt
· 2 – Teaspoons Black Pepper
· 2 – Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
· 2 – Tablespoons Brown Mustard
· 2 – Tablespoons Yellow Mustard
· 1 – Cup Firmly Packed Light Brown Sugar
· 1 – Large Bottle Bacos (generic works well for this recipe)
· 1 – Large Can French Fried Onions

Directions:

· It is very important to soak the dried beans in about 1.5 to 2.0 gallons of water overnight . . . then drain prior to mixing.
· Prepare Dutch Oven
o Wipe interior of Dutch Oven with vegetable oil, and then line with a layer of aluminum foil (this will greatly simplify later clean-up).
o Place a layer of bacon strips over Dutch Oven. Drape about 2 to 2.5 inches of the bacon strip over the edge of the Dutch Oven and work your way around the entire Dutch Oven.
o Set aside
· In a large pan (I often use a dishpan for mixing), mix the following:
o Great Northern and Navy Beans
o Tomato Paste and Tomato Sauce
o Chopped Onions and Garlic
o Ground Mustard, Salt, and Black Pepper
o Balsamic Vinegar, Brown Mustard, and Yellow Mustard
o Light Brown Sugar and Bacos
o Half of the can of French Fried Onions
· Mix the above until well blended and turn into the prepared Dutch Oven
· Place the Hickory Smoked Ham Hock in the center of the mixture.
· Cover the bean mixture with the balance of the French Fried Onions. Then fold the bacons strip ends over the entire mixture.
· Securely cover the Dutch Oven.

The Dutch Oven is now ready for cooking. Place six hot coals (surface at least 85% gray) on the top of the Dutch Oven then place the Dutch Oven on top of six hot coals. I generally allow this to bake in-place for at least 2 hours and have allowed it to go as much as 4 hours. This can also be cooked by placing in the coals at the edge of a campfire (place one or two scoops of hot coals on top and rest on a bed of hot coals), but in this case, I usually reduce the cooking time by about 50%

I usually light my charcoal after I have finished the preparation of the Dutch Oven. The fully prepared dish can be made in advance of cooking by several hours.

Kevin

P.S.: This is a "party-sized" recipe, and is a dish that I often take to potlucks.
AIR #827