Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Throw Down?

Could be a fun adventure to host a cooking contest at a rally perhaps with a secret ingredient a la kitchen stadium?
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Thumbs up Throw down

Well I guess no one wants to get into a cooking contest with someone from Louisiana! Proving what genius folks buy Airstreams!
Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

four questions

#1 What is your favorite meal to eat?

#2 What is your favorite meal to cook?

#3 What does "a la kitchen stadium" mean ( tv show? )

#4 What does "throw down" mean? ( competition? )

From an old school knife and fork man who has dined at Brennans, Commander's Palace, Pascal's Manale, Masons ( I knew Ernie ), The Court of the Two Sisters, Deanie's ( in Bucktown ), and the old Fitzgerald's.
In no particular order.
OK I've dropped a few names.......but NOT my fork!
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
#1 What is your favorite meal to eat?

#2 What is your favorite meal to cook?

#3 What does "a la kitchen stadium" mean ( tv show? )

#4 What does "throw down" mean? ( competition? )

From an old school knife and fork man who has dined at Brennans, Commander's Palace, Pascal's Manale, Masons ( I knew Ernie ), The Court of the Two Sisters, Deanie's ( in Bucktown ), and the old Fitzgerald's.
In no particular order.
OK I've dropped a few names.......but NOT my fork!
#1 Crawfish ettouffé
#2 Anything on my Cobb Grill
#3 The set of Iron Chef
#4 A challenge to a duel, as in "Throw down the gauntlet"

You have provided a litany of reasons why so many folks in Nawlins are overweight! But you kind of forgot Antoine's, Gallatoire's, Chart House…
Old 10-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Oh how I love to visit NO as there are so many great resturants, from the famous to not so famous. As to a throwdown It would be unfair. As Patton said in the movie about Rommel "i read the book".
I love to cook and bake but have always refused to compete as at least to me it would take the joy out of cookin and baking.

Now if I do make it back down to Louisiana my wife and I will be happy to come by a Louisiana meal as I am sure it would be superb.

Happy Cooking
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Correct me if I am wrong but....

I am pretty sure Patton never said, " I love to cook and bake but have always refused to compete as at least to me it would take the joy out of cookin and baking." just sayin' ( ha ha )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Hey, speaking of the Big Easy, I just flew in! Looking for some good casual fare in the Quarter or uptown...
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Hey, speaking of the Big Easy, I just flew in! Looking for some good casual fare in the Quarter or uptown...
In no particular order…

Can't get more casual than burgers. Best burgers in town at Port of Call on Esplanade Avenue.

For something with a more Nawlins flavor, Central Grocery on Decatur Street in the Quarter sells the original Muffalettas.

Or go for the po-boy sandwiches at Mother's, intersection of Poydras and Tchoupitoulas Streets in the Central Business District.

Café Maspero on Decatur Street. Second only to Port of Call in terms of great burgers, but nicer ambience.

More upscale than just sandwiches, but still casual…

Acme Oyster House, Iberville Street.

Embers on Bourbon Street.

Tujague's (pronounced two-jacks) on Decatur Street. Still in business after 140 years, so it MUST be good! "Business casual" though, so no shorts.

Chartres House on Chartres Street.

Deanie's on Iberville Street.

Court of Two Sisters, Royal Street.

Crescent City Brewhouse, a microbrewery and restaurant on Decatur Street.

Lesser known, Bayona on Dauphine Street.

And many more.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Thanks--there are some on the list I haven't tried--something to explore!
Old 10-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up I'll "throw down" any day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCA and GPO View Post
Could be a fun adventure to host a cooking contest at a rally perhaps with a secret ingredient a la kitchen stadium?
I've been to (& hosted) several rallies where there have been cooking contests of some sort or another - Chili cook-off (won), BBQ Chicken (won), Pie Baking, Martini (don't remember! ) contests to name a few. It also seems that our RMVAC Rallies turn into "cooking contests" at each happy hour. It's fun!

Also, at Alumafandango in Denver last year, they hosted an Aluminum Chef (ala Chopped w/2 rounds w/5 mystery ingredients each) contest...and I won!

Round One Ingredients were: Coconut, Banana, Chocolate, Limes & Chili. I made "Banana Coconut Lime Ice Cream W/Chocolate, Chili Lime Sauce"*

Round Two Ingredients were: Avocado, Corn-on-the-Cob, Tamari Soy Sauce, fresh Ginger & Walnuts. I made "Alumafandango Teriyaki Shrimp Cocktail"*

* Recipes available upon request...
Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Okay now we are stirring it up!
Protagonist lists some good ones but there are so many more! I love Dat Dog on Freret for low brow and Resturant August for a $$$ meal. Pretty much anywhere you go in the city our food is wonderful. I like to say we may not have much going for us in Louisiana...but we sure have food and fun and some years football!
Maybe we need to do a Jazz Fest Rally at some point...

And kudos to Insideout Aluminum Chef Champ! You rock! Great looking food. You got the whole throw down concept big time.

Actually my family is getting ready to challenge Bobby Flay in a Grits and Grillades throw down. No way my sister Babs-the Camillia Bean Queen -is going down!
And my husband Brody (GPO-the great and powerful Obiwon) makes the absolutely best fried catfish ever!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Did not mean to leave you out, Belegedhel! So tell us where and what you had to eat!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
NO Restaurants

Love all the restaurant recommendations! We're taking the AS to the French Quarter at Christmastime --can't wait --
Maybe we can try them all.
Mark and Kerry
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We love the Cafe Maspero on Decatur, Irene's on Chartres and Arnaud's on Bourbon/Bienville (when we want to dress up and celebrate any old thing).

Muffalettas at Central Grocery on Decatur are rumored to be the best.

And, of course, beignets and cafe au lait at the Cafe du Monde are part of the Nawlins experience. Sip and munch, watch people, and listen to the musicians and sounds of the street.

Love NOLA.

Maggie
Old 10-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I hit Court of Two Sisters for their jazz brunch yesterday and Jacque Imo's for dinner. I'll try some of these off-the-beaten-path recs today, and then Arnauld's for a celebratory (work related) dinner tonight.

So on the idea of a Nawlins rally, where is there camping facilities that can accommodate 100 Airstreams around town?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I hit Court of Two Sisters for their jazz brunch yesterday and Jacque Imo's for dinner. I'll try some of these off-the-beaten-path recs today, and then Arnauld's for a celebratory (work related) dinner tonight.

So on the idea of a Nawlins rally, where is there camping facilities that can accommodate 100 Airstreams around town?
University of New Orleans Kiefer Lakefront Arena hosts two rallies side-by-side every year at Mardi Gras, one of which is the WBCCI Mardi Gras Rally. The other is a Good Sam rally, if memory serves. Since the WBCCI rally alone is 50 trailers, UNO can definitely handle at least 100 total. The WBCCI Mardi Gras rally for 2014 is already sold out, with 50 reservations in hand and a waiting list.

Maybe if there's enough interest the ever-growing list of Aluma-rallies can be increased by one, by adding one called AlumaJazz during Jazz Fest week?

There are also two Louisiana State Parks in the metro area, St. Bernard State Park and Bayou Segnette State Park. I've never stayed at either one, though I've visited Bayou Segnette, and it's not bad. If you don't mind a 30~45-minute drive across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway to come into town, there are two more Louisiana State Parks on the north shore, Fountainbleu and Fairview-Riverside. I have stayed at Fairview Riverside; that was where I camped for the first time in my new Airstream.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have stayed at Bayou Segnette many times, and it is a huge, very nice state park. Paved sites, as I recall. I would think it could very easily accommodate a rally.

We always drive to the Algiers Ferry, from the park, which is 10-15 minutes away. Ferry has been free, but Doug is thinking it may have recently been given over to a concessionaire, and drops you off in the French Quarter.

There is a private, monitored lot at the ferry, where you can park for $5 all day and $10 on weekends. Beats trying to find and having to pay for parking in the Quarter.

Some will say the Ferry is in a bad neighborhood, and that may be, but we are not afraid of this area in the daytime. Have never had any issues of any kind.

We always tell folks who want to enjoy the nightlife in NOLA to spend the big bucks for French Quarter RV park, which is a short cab ride back to your RV.

Maggie