Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I hit Court of Two Sisters for their jazz brunch yesterday and Jacque Imo's for dinner. I'll try some of these off-the-beaten-path recs today, and then Arnauld's for a celebratory (work related) dinner tonight.

So on the idea of a Nawlins rally, where is there camping facilities that can accommodate 100 Airstreams around town?

Old 10-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I hit Court of Two Sisters for their jazz brunch yesterday and Jacque Imo's for dinner. I'll try some of these off-the-beaten-path recs today, and then Arnauld's for a celebratory (work related) dinner tonight.

So on the idea of a Nawlins rally, where is there camping facilities that can accommodate 100 Airstreams around town?
University of New Orleans Kiefer Lakefront Arena hosts two rallies side-by-side every year at Mardi Gras, one of which is the WBCCI Mardi Gras Rally. The other is a Good Sam rally, if memory serves. Since the WBCCI rally alone is 50 trailers, UNO can definitely handle at least 100 total. The WBCCI Mardi Gras rally for 2014 is already sold out, with 50 reservations in hand and a waiting list.

Maybe if there's enough interest the ever-growing list of Aluma-rallies can be increased by one, by adding one called AlumaJazz during Jazz Fest week?

There are also two Louisiana State Parks in the metro area, St. Bernard State Park and Bayou Segnette State Park. I've never stayed at either one, though I've visited Bayou Segnette, and it's not bad. If you don't mind a 30~45-minute drive across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway to come into town, there are two more Louisiana State Parks on the north shore, Fountainbleu and Fairview-Riverside. I have stayed at Fairview Riverside; that was where I camped for the first time in my new Airstream.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have stayed at Bayou Segnette many times, and it is a huge, very nice state park. Paved sites, as I recall. I would think it could very easily accommodate a rally.

We always drive to the Algiers Ferry, from the park, which is 10-15 minutes away. Ferry has been free, but Doug is thinking it may have recently been given over to a concessionaire, and drops you off in the French Quarter.

There is a private, monitored lot at the ferry, where you can park for $5 all day and $10 on weekends. Beats trying to find and having to pay for parking in the Quarter.

Some will say the Ferry is in a bad neighborhood, and that may be, but we are not afraid of this area in the daytime. Have never had any issues of any kind.

We always tell folks who want to enjoy the nightlife in NOLA to spend the big bucks for French Quarter RV park, which is a short cab ride back to your RV.

Maggie