Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
F.Y.I. - the Nissan Thermos thermal cookers are available in the U.S. ... Amazon sells them. But I noted that Amazon says that they ship from MV Trading ... I ordered one from them, at www.mvtradingonline.com it appears that they are the U.S. importer that Amazon buys from. Bon appetit!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #22
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
What size and model would be good for a single guy?
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #23
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
size 2- maybe a 1980's model?

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
D.G., ya beat me to it.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I think he likes the Italian models, too

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post

Michael,

Either the 1.5 l or the 4.5 with the insert that www.thermalcookware offers.

Amazon, Forum Appliances, etc do not offer the inserts or any other accessories for the cookers. The only seller that does is www.thermalcookware.com that I am aware of. The accessories will make anyone's cooker much more versatile.

The 1.5 l is great for soups, stews, chili and the like. It has a tall narrow shape liike a quart mason jar. You would not be able to brown a chicken breast for example.

The 4.5 with the inserts is would enable you to place boiling water in the bottom of the larger inner pot, then brown your meat, etc in the smaller insert and place it on top of the larger inner pot. As I stated in an earlier post, the cooker must be at least 80% full to retain the thermal mass effectively.These accessories would enable you to cook whole pieces of meat, a small corned beef, small roast, etc in the smaller inner insert. This woul keep you from eating the same dish for the next 3 days or so. Of course you could cook a smaller amount of beans, soups stew, etc by putting boiling water in the large inner pot and your meal in the smaller insert pot also.With the pudding tin you could bake a cake or quick bread such as cornbread, in the large inner pot and cook another dish in the smaller insert on top simultaneously. When you have company, attend a potluck , etc you could use the full 4.5 litre capacity.

So, depending on what you want to cook either the 1.5 l or the 4.5 with the inserts. IMHO, I think you would gain more cooking abilities with the 4.5 plus the inserts.

Also, remember that when you are boondocking the boiling water that will be placed in the large inner pot will not be wasted. It can be used to wash dishes with after your meal.

I have found that the more I use it the more I like it. Also, the more I use it makes me realize that I can do alot more with it than I realized at the time of purchase.

Hope this helps. Michelle
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #27
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about!
Old 03-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #28
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thumbs up Now dats whaum talkin bout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
I think he likes the Italian models, too
Geo.

Yoo, U talkin ta me!
Old 03-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #29
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thumbs up Fr8t shake -n-bake!

Michelle,

Thanks for the, ah-hum, more mature response.
Just what I needed to know!
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tshaker View Post
Michael,

Either the 1.5 l or the 4.5 with the insert that www.thermalcookware offers.

Amazon, Forum Appliances, etc do not offer the inserts or any other accessories for the cookers. The only seller that does is www.thermalcookware.com that I am aware of. The accessories will make anyone's cooker much more versatile.

The 1.5 l is great for soups, stews, chili and the like. It has a tall narrow shape liike a quart mason jar. You would not be able to brown a chicken breast for example.

The 4.5 with the inserts is would enable you to place boiling water in the bottom of the larger inner pot, then brown your meat, etc in the smaller insert and place it on top of the larger inner pot. As I stated in an earlier post, the cooker must be at least 80% full to retain the thermal mass effectively.These accessories would enable you to cook whole pieces of meat, a small corned beef, small roast, etc in the smaller inner insert. This woul keep you from eating the same dish for the next 3 days or so. Of course you could cook a smaller amount of beans, soups stew, etc by putting boiling water in the large inner pot and your meal in the smaller insert pot also.With the pudding tin you could bake a cake or quick bread such as cornbread, in the large inner pot and cook another dish in the smaller insert on top simultaneously. When you have company, attend a potluck , etc you could use the full 4.5 litre capacity.

So, depending on what you want to cook either the 1.5 l or the 4.5 with the inserts. IMHO, I think you would gain more cooking abilities with the 4.5 plus the inserts.

Also, remember that when you are boondocking the boiling water that will be placed in the large inner pot will not be wasted. It can be used to wash dishes with after your meal.

I have found that the more I use it the more I like it. Also, the more I use it makes me realize that I can do alot more with it than I realized at the time of purchase.

Hope this helps. Michelle
Old 03-16-2009, 03:05 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Quote:
Michael,

Michael,

I realized I forget to mention that you could also place your food into the 4.5 l pot then fill the bain marie insert with boiling water on top. This would allow you to use approx. 3l of cooking capacity and meet the 80% criteria to retain the thermal mass.

This would be usefull for a roast or corned beef.

The bain marie insert holds about 1 to 1.5 l.

If the inserts has been available when I purchased my cooker, I would have bought the 4.5l with the bain marie and steamer inserts. The 3&3 is a great unit, but we usually have leftovers. 3l is more than the two of can eat.This is why I have concluded that the 4.5l with inserts is better for 1 or 2 people. I can deal with it since we usually have these leftovers for lunch the next day. Anymore than that would be a little too much of a good thing.

Michelle
Old 06-17-2009, 03:11 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Switching to 4.5 L Thermal Cooker with Accessories

Just thought I would post an update on my thermal cooking experiences and hope others would share theirs.

I gave my 3&3 Shuttle Chef with optional 6L inner pot to my DH's cousin. It was just too large for us. Cuz uses it for all the charity events she participates in and is already loving it.

I will be ordering the 4.5 L with the inserts from www.thermalcookware.com as I suggested to others on the forum. 3l of beef burgundy and 3l of brown rice is just too much for 2 people. It is often too much when the 3l pot is filled oly 80% full when you add side dishes and rolls, etc. I do not like to eat the same thing when we are home. I get enough of the samo- samo while working on the road. ( no truck drivers do not eat where the food is good- they eat where they can park a 13 ft 6in high and 70ft long , 80K pound vehicle. )

The 1.5 insert will allow me to meet the 80% full criteria and not have to cook a mountain of food. The shape of the insert allows meats to be browned ,etc where the mason jar shape of the 1.5l cooker does not. Can still cook 2 separate items, or one item by filling the large inner pot or the smaller insert pot wth boiling water. Can also use the 4.5l pot and 1.5 l inner pots for regular stovetop cooking.

1.5 L Thermal Cooker

I still enjoy this unit for soups, stews and the like and can also use this units inner pot for regular stovetop cooking. Also use the outer thermal pot frequently for an ice bucket. This size is available at www.forumappliances.com in Canada.

Happy Trails,
'shaker
Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
4.5 L Shuttle Chef

This is an update of my previous post. As I stated earlier the Shuttle Chef 3&3 was just too big for our needs, although it would work well for a family of 4 or more IMHO.

I ordered the 4.5 l Shuttle Chef from www.forumappliances.com . At the current exchange rate it is $159.00 USD plus approx. $29.50 USD shipping.

I planned on ordering from Allan Rush at the www.thermalcookware.com website since I get alot of ideas for using my cooker there, but the shipping makes it prohibitive. I can't afford to support the seller when I added the higher price for the cooker plus extremely high shipping cost from AU to the US. I did order the Bain Marie pan for the cooker and the new lidded loaf pan. Allan offers terrific accessories that I have not been able to find anywhere else.

I like the idea of the latches for the cake pan and loaf pan so if I hit a bad bump in the road my pan won't end up filled with water ruining my dinner.

I will post more on the out come of my recipes with new cooker in November. I will be off work for 4 - 6 wks which will give me lots of time to try out the new setup, although I could think of better reasons to be off from work besides surgery. I plan on trying cooking 2 separate items with the bain marie insert, baking breads, cakes, meatloaf etc. The recipes for mulled wine on Allan's sound really delish, but I will have to hold off on the alcohol for a while.

I know several other forum members have purchased thermal cookers. I would enjoy hearing your experiences with the cooker and getting different ideas from you.

Happy trails, 'shaker
Old 03-23-2010, 11:31 PM   #33

Currently Looking...
Utah County , Utah
Quote:
I ordered the 4.5 l Shuttle Chef from www.forumappliance.com. At the current exchange rate it is $159.00 USD plus approx. $29.50 USD shipping.... I know several other forum members have purchased thermal cookers. I would enjoy hearing your experiences with the cooker and getting different ideas from you.
Here is a site in the US that has the 4.5L Thermos for a little less total cost than what was mentioned above, as well as the larger 6L and 2x3L units. http://getpreparedstuff.ecrater.com

Besides The Thermal Cooker Thermal Cooking Weblog another site that has sprung up in the UK on the topic of thermal cooking with recipes and videos is: The Thermal Cook - The worldwide social networking site for thermal cooking with a separate blog at: Thethermalcook's Blog

One thing I've used my 4.5L cooker for is not for cooking but for keeping my home made ice cream cold for a long day of picnicking and fireworks. I'll make a gallon of ice cream on the morning of the 4th and then transfer it to the 4.5L inner pot and stow it in the vacuum outer pot where 10 hours later the ice cream will still be cold and firm and ready to enjoy as we watch the fireworks that night. It does a great job of keeping things hot, but it seems to work even better keeping cold things cold for a longer time.
ThermalCookr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Has anyone found a US source for the Top Pot (or Bain Marie — same thing by different names) that fits the Shuttle Chef (thermos/nissan) inner pot? Ordering through thermalcookware.com ads on shipping that is only $3 less than the pot itself! I found a little bit of a better deal ordering from the UK here, but it's still a lot to pay in shipping and conversion rates.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
The 2 sites you listed are the only places I know of that currently offer the bain marie and other items for the cooker. I wish the U.S distibutor would start carrying them.

'shaker
Old 03-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A good article on hayboxes; more the context within which they work.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A good article on hayboxes; more the context within which they work.
That contextual article about hayboxes (by JM Greer) now archived at Resilience.org

Was reminded of this thread by the current one on the Instant Pot.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
The Shuttle Chefs and Nissan Thermal Cookers are available again on Amazon!.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote