Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The Vegetarian and Special Dietary-Lifestyle Thread

Are you vegetarian, vegan, gluten intolerant, diabetic, watching your calories and sodium intake....or just want to eat healthier? Let's post our favourite recipes.

I am going the vegetarian route. This was tonight's dinner: Roasted Beets in a Hazelnut/Raspberry/Rosemary Reduction with Tofu Courtons. It was delicous. The meld of fresh rosemary with raspberries - fantastic!

This is a quick, simple recipe. I tend not to give amounts because I figure you can add as much or as little as you want, depending on tastes.

Quarter fresh beets and cover with EVV (extra virgin olive oil). Roast in 400F oven until tender. Remove. Cool to room temperature.

Dice extra-firm tofu and saute in frying pan with oil until firm.

Take about 2 Tablespoons of raspberry jam (I used the no-added sugar version), add about a Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, a shake of Worchestershire sauce, and some threads of fresh rosemary. Pour the oil from roasted beets into saucepan and add the jam/balsamic/Worchestershire/rosemary mixture. If mixture is too thick, add a bit more oil. Throw in a handful of raw hazelnuts (or walnuts/almonds) and saute until nuts are slightly carmelized.

Put roasted beets on a bed of your favourite greens and pour warm reduction sauce on top. Crown with tofu croutons and a sprig of fresh rosemary.

Bon appetit~!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Vegetarian Tacos.

1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 can garbanzo beans drained
roasted corn
1 onion diced
Fresh garlic (to taste)
1/2 green pepper diced
1/2 red pepper diced
2 carrots thinly sliced
1 packet of taco seasoning.

On medium heat put the garlic and onion in a large skillet (with a small amount of olive oil) then add the carrots, peppers, roasted corn, black beans and garbanzo beans. Mix together and add the taco seasoning, water (not too much but enough to simmer and you may have to add more) let simmer for 1/2 hour or until the sauce thickens. Take an old fashioned potato masher and mash the contents and stir together. Fill the taco shells and add lettuce, diced tomatoes, cheese and sour cream (optional). They are easy and it's a great alternative to meat. Yummy.

Sorry no picture but very good.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
FIORELLI PASTA TOSS - serves 4

3 1/2 cups P.C. Black Label Fiorelli Pasta (half a 500 g. pkg.)
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. P.C. Black Label #5 Umami Paste*
1/2 tsp. chili flakes (optional)
2 cups packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
2 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook pasta for 8-10 mins. or until tender but firm. Drain. Set aside.

In the same saucepan, heat oil over low heat. Stir in Umami paste and chili flakes (If using). Add spinach, tomatoes, pasta and half the green onions; toss until spinach wilts.

Divide among 4 bowls. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and cheese.

__________________________________________________ __

I’d recommend buying the P.C. pasta as it makes a big difference. The first time I made this I just used fusilli and, although we enjoyed it, it wasn’t nearly as good.

Hope you try this as, not only is it good, it’s vegetarian and, more importantly, it’s really quick and easy to make!

*Umami paste can be purchased here in Canada, or here is a recipe to make it. Not strictly vegetarian due to the 2-3 anchovy fillets, not sure if that's in the stuff we get at Loblaw's. P.C. is President's Choice brand.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
OOPs, I had a cheeseburger today ...and clam chowder at the Black Pearl in Newport RI!
Actually, my wife has introduce me to a healthier way of eating much of the time but I refuse to give up some of my old favorites, just nowhere near as often. I find that if I try to deny myself all of the old cravings, I am much more likely to "revert" at some point. I think the difference for me is that I am actually liking my new healthier eating habits and the food. I don't have the recipe but Dorsey does a black bean, sweet potato burrito that is fairly healthy if not low in calories....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Hopefully Lili will stop in on this thread. I believe they used to run a vegetarian catering business and I bet she has a ton of suggestions. Thanks for starting this thread, I can't wait to try some of them even though I eat most anything that isn't moving too fast.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are not vegetarian and actually, Doug is a carnivore.

We do try to have a few vegetarian dinners each week, and I have some good recipes I will post when I have a bit more time.

I did see someone on the Today show last week make a risotto out of steel-cut oats. Had to try it, and it was scrumptious! Sauteed a good bit of garlic and some chopped onion in a bit of butter and olive oil, added the oats and toasted them a bit and then cooked them through in chicken broth. Added a good handful of shredded Asiago cheese. We ate this as a side dish, leftovers with veggies as an entree. Really yummy.

I'll be back.

Maggie
Old 03-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
We are not vegetarian either. Shawn calls us omnivores but we do eat vegetarian often. If you are looking for a quick meal fix (microwavable) for vegetarian, some of them are even vegan, look for Amy's frozen dinners. Walmart and Target usually carry a limited amount of them but check out some health food stores too.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Steak and salad here.

I actually crave meat. If someone chooses to not eat meat,..well then you will get no beef from me.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Hundreds of well-organized vegan recipes on this site:

Fatfree Vegan Recipes
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #10

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
If your the book type or need some help with switching from a carnivore to Vegan/vegetarian I found this site very helpful, they will help you plan a diet or give you lots of advise. http://www.herbivoreclothing.com/ The owners are friends of mine and they are Vegan ( I'm not) and they are very nice and non judgemental. I bought several cookbooks from them.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Shane, there was a time I craved meat too, but for 38 years I have been a vegetarian. It was hard at first, but I didn't want to go down the same road my parents went with all their surgeries and diseases. My father's family all die of cardiovascular disease and my mother suffered from poor health most of her adult life. I am far healthier than them and lead a very active life for a 71 year old. They also avoided exercise, another important component of a good life and both of us exercise regularly.

In 26 years together, I have moved my wife closer to vegetarianism, but not all the way. She is an excellent vegetarian cook and is careful what she buys (except for certain meat products).

Before we had the Airstream, eating on the road was hard. We had to drag a big cooler with us in and out of motels and ate in ours rooms a lot. Restaurants add sugar and salt to everything and a few days of restaurant food leaves us feeling bad. The Airstream was great for traveling as we stock our trailer with healthy foods. In certain parts of the US it is difficult to find a good restaurant or a market with healthy foods, so we bring a lot with us. Traveling in Canada is easier because the restaurants there are better than in many parts of the US. While traveling we look for really good restaurants because we love eating out too, but in some places, none are to be found.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Spinach, tomato and rosemary personal-pan beakfast "pizza."

Base: 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 2T oat bran, 1/2 cup thawed spinach, 1 egg. Mix and form pancake. Saute in pan until both sides golden. Add sliced tomato, mozarella and fresh rosemary. Place under broiler until cheese is melted.

Other vegetarian toppings which are my favourite: roasted peppers, mushrooms, or vegetarian "pepperoni." (can be purchased in health food stores or larger supermarkets). In Canada, Yves is a popular maker of veggie "meat" products.
Yves Veggie Cuisine: Yves Brand of Meatless Products and Information
Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Shane, there was a time I craved meat too, but for 38 years I have been a vegetarian. It was hard at first, but I didn't want to go down the same road my parents went with all their surgeries and diseases. My father's family all die of cardiovascular disease and my mother suffered from poor health most of her adult life. I am far healthier than them and lead a very active life for a 71 year old. They also avoided exercise, another important component of a good life and both of us exercise regularly.

In 26 years together, I have moved my wife closer to vegetarianism, but not all the way. She is an excellent vegetarian cook and is careful what she buys (except for certain meat products).

Before we had the Airstream, eating on the road was hard. We had to drag a big cooler with us in and out of motels and ate in ours rooms a lot. Restaurants add sugar and salt to everything and a few days of restaurant food leaves us feeling bad. The Airstream was great for traveling as we stock our trailer with healthy foods. In certain parts of the US it is difficult to find a good restaurant or a market with healthy foods, so we bring a lot with us. Traveling in Canada is easier because the restaurants there are better than in many parts of the US. While traveling we look for really good restaurants because we love eating out too, but in some places, none are to be found.

Gene
Hi Gene!

Thanks for sharing that interesting odyssey. At one time vegetarians were considered to be kinda kooky. Vancouver is the "California" of Canada. There are many vegetarian-oriented markets and restaurants. One of my favourite restaurants is vegetarian Chinese. Their sweet and sour "pork" is better than the real thing! There's also a sushi place on every street corner - all offering vegetarian rolls like avocado and mango - yummy! Many Indian restaurants have vegetarian alternatives. Alberta, the neighbouring province, is Canada's "Texas." Steak houses as far as the eye can see.....although Calgary is more diversive.

Good for you - you took the initiative years ago.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We also increasingly eat vegetarian. I've decided that I wanted to make eating meat a conscious choice. So I eat high-quality tasty meat as a treat rather than going for bland, generic/industrial-sourced, less tasty meat as a frequent default choice. We're eating a lot more chickpeas and tofu and grains now.

My wife made rissoto with farro last night - very nice. It did have a bit of local-sourced bacon in it though...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Traveling in Canada is easier because the restaurants there are better than in many parts of the US. While traveling we look for really good restaurants because we love eating out too, but in some places, none are to be found.

Gene

Interesting observation. I have found just the opposite in Canada except around population centers. Very few veggies, lots of meat and starch... but back to the topic or recipes.. here's my favorite pasta dish:

1 large Eggplant washed and diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 C red wine
4 cloves garlic diced
1/3 c stuffed green olives, diced
3 T capers, diced
1/8 (or more to taste) tsp red pepper flakes
black pepper
olive oil

2 Cups fresh basil (chiffonade), divided

1 Lb pasta

Saute the eggplant in oil until soft. When soft, stir in all other ingredients and 1 cup of the basil. Clap on a lid and cook for 10 minutes. Cook pasta until al dente and drain.

To serve: Using tongs, take one serving of pasta and drop it into the pan of hot sauce. Turn noodles over until coated and then place then in individual serving bowl/plate with a little extra sauce on top. Top with some fresh basil and a little reggiano Parmesan. Repeat for each serving.

Serve this with a simple side salad of mixed greens, sliced radishes and some white beans in a vinaigrette

Click image for larger version

Name:	pasta.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	154358

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
In a past life I was vegetarian, and have been gluten free for 2 1/2 years now, on the recommendation of my allergenist (head Allergy and Immunology teaching doc at UCSF). Ditching gluten has been a silver bullet for me, and I've found some awesome alternatives. I've been using Gluten Free Pantry brand flour, and have taken to making it myself- there is nothing weird in it, so I feel okay using it, and it makes super baked goods. I've also made bread recipes from this site

gluten-free bread

which have been super. So many gluten free products are truly awful, and I felt like I was being made to suffer because I couldn't eat gluten. We tend to eat towards the less meat end, small portions as a flavor or garnish rather than the main event.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I've also been practicing with vegetable side dishes, and this one is a favorite:

Broccoli in orange sauce

8" head of broccoli, cut stems so florets are 1" across. Stems can be peeled and sliced to 1/4", and used raw in salad.

3T orange juice (from fresh oranges, takes one usually)

2 cloves garlic, minced (I'd use more. A lot more)

1/8t red pepper flakes (again, I'd use more, but some people are very sensitive and a pinch may be enough. If using the pinch method, remember to wash your hands before accidentally rubbing your peppery finger in an eye)

saute to reduce the juice by half and thicken but don't let it solidify. Scrape the pan and set aside.

3T orange juice again, in the pan. On low heat, toss the broccoli until coated and allow to steam. You may need to add a little more juice or water, it's mostly to get the juice to reduce and steam the broccoli. When done, toss with the reserved garlic/pepper/orange mixture. this is a heart-smart recipe, so no oil or salt is called for, but you can of course adjust as necessary. I find the important thing is always using fresh orange juice in any recipe that calls for orange.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Globie, thanks for sharing that. Some people may not be gluten intolerant, but gluten stimulates their appetite. That's my problem!

These are great recipes and ideas, all!

For those who are trying to avoid pasta but want to try those sauces, try ribbons of zucchini slightly blanched as a faux "pasta."

I have a friend who eats "raw." Now, that's one alternative that just does not warm my soul, literally and figuratively - especially in the middle of a Canadian winter!

However, the idea of raw baking is intriguing, especially when on the road. No worries about slaving over a hot trailer oven in the summer - and just think of all the propane you'll save. Found some recipes for raw carrot cake. Boy, do they sound good, although I am going to stick to the traditional cream-cheese frosting.

Raw Cake - Recipe for Dairy Free Carrot Cake - Raw Carrot Cake Recipe - Dairy-Free Cakes

I think I like this recipe the best - spicier filling...
Two Blue Lemons: Raw Carrot Cake
Old 03-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to chromis
Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe

Ingredients:
16 oz. Dark chocolate or good quality dark/unsweetened chips..
1/2 cup organic light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup organic white cane sugar
3/4 cup very hot strong coffee
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons unsweetened organic cocoa powder (optional depends on quality of chocolate.. )
8 large organic free-range eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla extract- yes, a tablespoon!

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 10-cup Springform pan by lining the bottom with buttered parchment

Break up the dark chocolate into pieces and pour the chocolate into the bowl of the food processor. Pulse until the chocolate breaks up into small bits. Add the sugar. Pulse until the chocolate and sugar turns into an even, sandy grain.

Pour the hot water or coffee slowly into the feed tube as you pulse again. Pulse until the chocolate is melted. Magic!

Add the butter pieces and the cocoa powder, and pulse to combine. Add the eggs and vanilla, and process till smooth. The batter will be liquid and creamy.

Pour the batter into the lined Springform pan. Wrap the outside of the whole pan with a big piece of foil. Bake at 350º F in the center of the oven, till puffed and cracked and lovely - about 55 to 65 minutes. (Note - it took an hour plus 15 minutes when I baked this at high altitude.) Use a wooden toothpick to check the center of the cake; pick should emerge clean, with maybe a crumb.

Place the cake pan on a wire rack to cool. The cake will deflate. Don't worry! When cooled a bit, press down on it gently with a spatula to make it even, if you wish. Or not.

When the cake is completely cooled, cover, and chill it for at least three hours (best up to eight hours), until serving. Overnight is even better.
Serve thin slices with drizzled chocolate sauce or a sprinkle of sifted powdered sugar. Garnish with a fresh berries or mint leaves.

Yield: 15 slices
chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
If you are looking for a quick meal fix (microwavable) for vegetarian, some of them are even vegan, look for Amy's frozen dinners.
I have bought those a number of times (I am vegetarian), and recently I've been disappointed. The last couple of times I have bought my favourite item from Amy's (the veggie pot pie) they have been sluggish to cook all the way to the centre, and tasted somewhat bland.

This in a pot pie that is $4.29 for a single serving is not acceptable; they are off my list.