Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I make my own pot pie, great for using up leftovers, and as a famous food person once said to me "if someone has a half an hour to waste on a re-run of friends, they have a half an hour to make something from scratch". I roast a chicken in a pan with root vegetables and a half inch of white wine. After a meal or two, the carcass is picked clean, the leftover veggies and chicken are mixed with a sauce from the pan gelee and it goes into a buckwheat pie crust. It's rather good and serves the two of use for several days.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #22
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Gene..no way no how.

I have been on the Atkins diet for close to 3 years..all meat..fatty greasy meat also....good stuff along with eggs and tons of pork rinds and cheeses!

I figured I needed to go checked...blood work from a heart Dr. I also asked them for a stress test.....passed.

Well, my cholesterol was outstanding and so was all my blood work. The Dr said to keep on doing what I'm doing.

Maybe good jeans.

Plus,..I Live in Texas.

BEEF, it's what's for dinner!

The starch is for my wife.

Fish is good also....

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Hey Shane, you're a genetic rarity!
There was a guy in Supersize Me who claimed to have eaten 10,000 big macs and his cholesterol was great.
Unfortunately, that doesn't work for the vast majority of people as their plumbing get clogged up. They end up with stents, bypasses and Lipitor, all of which just temporarily solve the problem.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromis View Post
Ingredients:
16 oz. Dark chocolate or good quality dark/unsweetened chips..
1/2 cup organic light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup organic white cane sugar
3/4 cup very hot strong coffee
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons unsweetened organic cocoa powder (optional depends on quality of chocolate.. )
8 large organic free-range eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla extract- yes, a tablespoon!

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350ŗF. Prepare a 10-cup Springform pan by lining the bottom with buttered parchment

Break up the dark chocolate into pieces and pour the chocolate into the bowl of the food processor. Pulse until the chocolate breaks up into small bits. Add the sugar. Pulse until the chocolate and sugar turns into an even, sandy grain.

Pour the hot water or coffee slowly into the feed tube as you pulse again. Pulse until the chocolate is melted. Magic!

Add the butter pieces and the cocoa powder, and pulse to combine. Add the eggs and vanilla, and process till smooth. The batter will be liquid and creamy.

Pour the batter into the lined Springform pan. Wrap the outside of the whole pan with a big piece of foil. Bake at 350ŗ F in the center of the oven, till puffed and cracked and lovely - about 55 to 65 minutes. (Note - it took an hour plus 15 minutes when I baked this at high altitude.) Use a wooden toothpick to check the center of the cake; pick should emerge clean, with maybe a crumb.

Place the cake pan on a wire rack to cool. The cake will deflate. Don't worry! When cooled a bit, press down on it gently with a spatula to make it even, if you wish. Or not.

When the cake is completely cooled, cover, and chill it for at least three hours (best up to eight hours), until serving. Overnight is even better.
Serve thin slices with drizzled chocolate sauce or a sprinkle of sifted powdered sugar. Garnish with a fresh berries or mint leaves.

Yield: 15 slices
Okay, this sounds AMAZING !!!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #25

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I gave it up over two years ago and have never felt better! That Atkins diet is a heart attack waiting to happen IMO but to each their own. I feel better and don't miss it one bit, my other half still eats meat occasionally but if I'm cooking then it's going to be vegetarian. If you get a craving for meat I made this recipe and both Zell and I loved it. It's good on salads, rice, quinoa etc. very yummy.

Italian Tempeh Nuggets

1 tbsp of olive oil
2 1/2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce (I use reduce sodium)
2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes I added more
1 tsp of dried thyme
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp of dried rosemary crushed

Cut tempeh into cubes
Combine marinade ingredients in a container with a lid (stir)
Add tempeh, cover and shake it
Place in refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight
Remember to shake it occasionally to keep the tempeh coated
In a large skillet heat med to med low heat
Add tempeh and liquid and cook until caramelized ( I raised the heat after 10 min to make it a bit more crispy
Serve immediately.

Enjoy. And remember to always eat your veggies!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #26
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
You guys know..I used the word jeans,..instead of genes on purpose....

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 03-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #27

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91208
Hey Shane, you're a genetic rarity!
There was a guy in Supersize Me who claimed to have eaten 10,000 big macs and his cholesterol was great.
Unfortunately, that doesn't work for the vast majority of people as their plumbing get clogged up. They end up with stents, bypasses and Lipitor, all of which just temporarily solve the problem.
But he also got fat and was full of acne and tired all the time.

http://www.vivavegie.org/101book/tex...upersizeme.htm
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
The science behind it

If you want to know the science behind the connection between our health and our diet, get the books...."The China Study" and the how to guide "Engine 2 Diet".....some overweight/high blood pressure Texas firemen went on a vegan diet for 28 days and cooked delicious alternatives to meat and dairy meals for 28 days and had remarkable results. This book tells you how to do shop and gives recipes for cooking delicious filling meals that the firemen would eat.....google them for more info.

The China Study by T Colin Campbell goes into the science behind the western diets and the western diseases....there are actually cultures where the men have zero incidence of prostate cancer......and, guess what, they have a plant based diet (fresh not processed).....the farther one goes from a plant based diet, the higher the incidence of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer.....statistically speaking.

At any rate, it is food for thought---IMHO. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Jeeze......everything is big in TX.....even the shrimp! I could go for a couple of those - hold the cheeseburger - although I love the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" plate.

One thing that I am dying to try are those deep-fried pickles. I know they are served just about everythwere in the Southern states, but unheard of here in Canada.

Anyway, canned soup is loaded with sodium; you can make some soup from scratch in the same amount of time it takes to open a can and heat it up.

When I lived in the city, I used to go to the Farmer's Market every Saturday. There was a potato stand and cafe with the biggest taters. You picked out your freshly-baked potato and they had a self-serve "bar" with all the fixings. I always topped mine with bacon, steamed broccoli, and cheddar cheese. Today I was craving one of those potatoes, but I did not have any potatoes. So, decided to make cream of potato soup with the same toppings. No potatoes? How do you make potato soup w/o potatoes?

This is how it's done (serves one).

- Fry one strip of bacon in a non-stick saucepan (I know....I know....not truly vegetarian but as I told you, I am not giving up bacon!)
- Drain fat
- Add 1T of butter or margarine to saucepan
- Add milk - about 1 cup (I used skim) and a handful of finely-chopped broccoli florets
- Stir over medium heat until florests are not raw, but are still firm and nice and green
- Add 3 - 4T of instant potato flakes. You can make a cream sauce/soup w/o using flour. If you are gluten intolerant, instant potato flakes work great
- Stir until thickened
- Pour into bowl and top with sharp cheddar and freshly-ground pepper. No need to add more salt - the bacon makes it salty enough
Done!
Fresh, fast, and sure tastes better than anything from a can

'
Old 03-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Jeeze......everything is big in TX.....even the shrimp! I could go for a couple of those - hold the cheeseburger - although I love the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" plate.

One thing that I am dying to try are those deep-fried pickles. I know they are served just about everythwere in the Southern states, but unheard of here in Canada.

Anyway, canned soup is loaded with sodium; you can make some soup from scratch in the same amount of time it takes to open a can and heat it up.

When I lived in the city, I used to go to the Farmer's Market every Saturday. There was a potato stand and cafe with the biggest taters. You picked out your freshly-baked potato and they had a self-serve "bar" with all the fixings. I always topped mine with bacon, steamed broccoli, and cheddar cheese. Today I was craving one of those potatoes, but I did not have any potatoes. So, decided to make cream of potato soup with the same toppings. No potatoes? How do you make potato soup w/o potatoes?

This is how it's done (serves one).

- Fry one strip of bacon in a non-stick saucepan (I know....I know....not truly vegetarian but as I told you, I am not giving up bacon!)
- Drain fat
- Add 1T of butter or margarine to saucepan
- Add milk - about 1 cup (I used skim) and a handful of finely-chopped broccoli florets
- Stir over medium heat until florests are not raw, but are still firm and nice and green
- Add 3 - 4T of instant potato flakes. You can make a cream sauce/soup w/o using flour. If you are gluten intolerant, instant potato flakes work great
- Stir until thickened
- Pour into bowl and top with sharp cheddar and freshly-ground pepper. No need to add more salt - the bacon makes it salty enough
Done!
Fresh, fast, and sure tastes better than anything from a can

'
Sounds awesome..if we were closer..I'd fix you dinner and you could do the same for us.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Some people can eat anything and have low cholesterol and some eat what I consider healthy and have high cholesterol. Most of us are in between. Mine runs from 130-180 over the years—back and forth. The hardest thing now is eating less as my metabolism slows down (and so do I).

I don't usually care for fake meat. It was what I left behind. But pre-made vegie foods are tastier now than they were years ago and more restaurants have vegie options. Even in Alaska I was able to find salads and other healthy foods. Texas is a challenge, but Mexican and Italian restaurants have some options.

When I started this journey doctors were still looking at vegetarianism as a disease. Times have changed.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #32
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage

I have bought those a number of times (I am vegetarian), and recently I've been disappointed. The last couple of times I have bought my favourite item from Amy's (the veggie pot pie) they have been sluggish to cook all the way to the centre, and tasted somewhat bland.

This in a pot pie that is $4.29 for a single serving is not acceptable; they are off my list.
I will admit to favorites like the enchilada verde and some i have not liked at all. As for the price it still cheaper than feeding a family if four at a restaurant

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A couple of favorites

Spinach Orzo Salad with Feta Vinaigrette

1 cup dry orzo pasta, cooked/drained/rinsed
2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
1/2 cup oil pack sun dried tomatoes, chopped
3 tablespoons, each, diced red onion and Kalamata olives
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 6 ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, undrained, cut up
3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled

Toss artichoke hearts and marinade with pasta while still warm. Add remaining ingredients, toss well.

Black Beans & Vegetables with Vinaigrette

1 pound dry black beans, cooked
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 1/2 cups chopped tomato (I like to use halved cherry tomatoes)
3/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
3-4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1/3 cup fresh coriander or cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoon salt

Toss cooked black beans with frozen corn, then remaining ingredients. Let stand an hour or two before serving at room temperature, stirring occasionally.

Maggie
Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Sounds awesome..if we were closer..I'd fix you dinner and you could do the same for us.

Shane
Shane, that is very kind of you; I think I might even break down and have one of those Texas-sized Cheeseburgers in Paradise!

Meanwhile, back at the vegetarian ranch, I have been fooling around with tofu. I know that white brick you see at the supermarket looks about as appetizing as a block of lard, but it is a versatile foodstuff because it is so bland and works best with spicy sauces.

Chinese take-out is loaded with fat and sodium. Here is a healthier version of sweet and sour "pork." Perfect for that blandish tofu.

Cube extra firm tofu. If you want it crispy and golden (or company's coming style as I call it) coat with cornstarch and fry in oil until crispy.

In saucepan combine 3 TBSP cornstarch, 1/2 cup sugar or Splenda, 1/2 tsp. pepper, and 1/2 tsp. ground ginger. Stir. Add 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice, and 1/4 cup light soya sauce. Add grated carrot, diced green, yellow, orange or red pepper, and drained pineapple chunks. Pineapple is optional. Stir over medium heat until slightly thick.

Add raw or fried tofu chunks. Stir until heated through. Serve over rice.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I made a similar pasta to Doug and Maggie with gluten free pasta, dry, grated Asiago, lemon zest, olive oil, chopped fresh spinach and goat cheese. Make the pasta, heat the oil with lemon zest and pepper, quickly blanch the spinach in the pasta water, toss it all together. yum.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Potato soup w/out potato

The late, great Justin Wilson has a recipe for potato salad without potatos. Basicalll the same as regular, but with saltine crackers instead of potatoes. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Cheeseburger from the Garden of Eden

The early frozen vegetarian patties were awful, but the industry has come a long way. The Sol brand is one I really like, and gluten free.

I like to serve it between two crisp lettuce leaves with pea sprouts, a grainy mustard, tomato, onion, and a sharp slice of Canadian cheddar.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I have found many omnivores think vegetarians want food that tastes like meat; some do, not me. I admit that sometimes the thought of a cheeseburger passes momentarily, but I have no desire for fake (or real) meat. We have some here because my wife is an omnivore and she makes dinners with it sometimes. I think of a veggie burger as emergency food. I haven't seen the Sol brand, maybe it is only sold in Canada.

Restaurants for the most part offer one or two veggie dishes. But they really have no idea what they are doing a lot of time. I like pasta primavera, but I don't want it every day. There can be very limited choices and more than one waitress has said when I said "I am a vegetarian and what do you have?" "We have fish". Some Mexican restaurants have servers who don't understand me and I have no idea what I'm going to get. Even if they, do I wonder what is in those refried beans (I probably know). Same thing happens in Chinese restaurants.

Janet, sorry you haven't found as many good restaurants in Canada as we have. We've found them in remote places like Whitehorse, Yukon, and many small villages. The exception may be Newfoundland (except for St. John's) where the locals eating choices are more unhealthy than anywhere in N. America.

I have had to learn not to ask certain questions. So many restaurants use lard and chicken broth that if I ask the questions, there will be nothing left to eat. I have also not gone the vegan route. We have a friend who is vegan and she has a terrible time finding something to eat in restaurants.

And what was the best vegetarian restaurant you've been to? Before it closed about a decade ago, the Horn of the Moon in Montpelier was excellent. When I lived in Buffalo, there was one called the Green St. Cafe, but that's 34 years ago and I'm sure it is very long gone. We found a vegetarian chain in 2004 in Quebec City and Montreal—can't remember the name, but it was all buffet style and very good.

Gene
Old 04-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Gene, I have found certain ethnic restaurants to be more adapted to the vegetarian lifestyle than the traditional N. American: Indian, Caribbean, Lebanese, and there is one vegetarian Chinese restaurant here which is exceptional.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
You are right about other ethnic restaurants and sometimes, when we see them (none around here) we eat there. We have been going to Thai and "Pan Asian" restaurants a lot in recent years.

Another very good vegetarian restaurant we went to, also 10 years ago, was in Bar Harbor (pron.: Ba Ha-Ba), Maine. I have no idea of the name or whether it is still there.

Gene