Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm trying a dish with quinoa tomorrow night.

Cooked the hubby beef and potatoes tonight, to get him to try it.

Maggie

Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #114
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Have fun! We eat quinoa at least once a week. I like to use a broth instead of straight water - veg or chicken - low sodium. Quinoa is the perfect vehicle to unload ANYTHING leftover in the fridge. I love to go savory and saute some onions first then peppers mushrooms..etc.

Also you can use dried cranberries, scallions, etc. Sometime, I just make a batch of plain quinoa and keep it in the fridge. It can become a hot side dish, a cold Sweet or savory salad...and a breakfast cereal!

enjoy..

Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Just watching the news; they are predicting a rise in egg and meat prices of 20% this year due to the U.S. drought.

Sounds like a good time to get into quinoa etc!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have never been one who needed meat everyday and, as a young mother on a very tight budget, learned to provide plenty of protein from other sources, just to keep costs down.

Doug, however, is a carnivore. He steps carefully into new things, but will try anything once and has added a lot of things to his diet which he once rejected.

My son is an ardent fan of quinoa, makes tabbouleh out of it and eats it for breakfast.

I am trying a quinoa patty. Will let you know how it comes out.

Maggie
Old 01-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quinoa patties

Well, I abandoned my original recipe for pirated bits and pieces of others. They were pretty tasty, but need a little boost of something flavorful. We're going to try the leftovers tomorrow with black bean and corn salsa.

I used:

1 cup quinoa, cooked in 2 cups water (may try broth) for about 4 cups
2 handfuls panko breadcrumbs
4 beaten eggs
Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper
About 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese

Mixed this up this am, after the cooked quinoa had cooled, and refrigerated. Scooped out onto a hot griddle, browned well on both sides. They were kind of crunchy and corn-y, like a polenta cake.

Hubby thought they were "fine", willing to let me experiment a bit with it.

Suggestions?

Maggie
Old 01-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Ever tried fried grits? Your concoction sounds vaguely similar. Cook a pot of grits and spread out 1/2" thick on a cookie sheet, cover with saran wrap and put in the fridge overnight. In the morning, cut into squares and fry in some oil (or bacon grease, mmm)
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have not tried fried grits, do like grits, though.

I like the protein content of the quinoa, and that they are a complete protein.

Maggie
Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Trying New Veggies - Expect Flops!

My first exposure to tarot root was at a wedding; I wondered what that grey plop on the plate was. Not a great presentation for a wedding meal, and the taste was unexceptional.

However, the view from the reception room was great - which seems to be the case here. Great view = lousy food. One of my favourite restaurants was above a 7-11!

Anyway, since getting into the more-veggie thing, thought I'd try it again. It is flown here from Hawaii, and was once considered the staple of Hawaiian royalty. If it pleased the Big Kahuna, it must have something going for it. Maybe the wedding chef buggared it.

Tarot root in the raw looks like a small potato with a bit of a hairy skin. It's harder than a potato and tougher to peel. The Hawaiians like to deep fry tarot, but I thought I'd boil it up and try it mashed again.
During the cooking process, it turned that undesirable shade of grey. I mashed it with a bit of chicken broth and butter, hoping that would improve the flavour.
It didn't help much and still looks like the paper-mache mash I use for crafts. I again found it bland and starchy. The Hawaiians obviously have the better idea - fry and salt like a potato chip.

I think this bowl of mush is headed for the compost pile.

Oh well. Cooking is part of a creative process.....and expect flops!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It does look unappetizing. Always good to try new foods, though.

I worked with a foster parent once upon a time who was from Nigeria or someplace like that. She prepared a boiled, mashed root thing that she (and the foster children) scooped up with their finger and ate.

They loved it, she loved it, and she said it was highly nutritious. Who knew?

People eat all manner of insects, too. Fried, boiled, grilled, etc.

Just depends on where ya come from. Folks down south eat with great gusto those little critters that grow in the rice paddies and other muddy places. I think they call them crawfish.

Maggie
Old 02-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Maybe the wedding chef buggared it.

I think this bowl of mush is headed for the compost pile.
Carla,

I assume buggering means the same thing in BC as here, and I am still laughing at the visuals that came to me when I read that. I suppose you could have had your mush buggered too.

Gene
Old 02-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
It does look unappetizing. Always good to try new foods, though.

I worked with a foster parent once upon a time who was from Nigeria or someplace like that. She prepared a boiled, mashed root thing that she (and the foster children) scooped up with their finger and ate.

They loved it, she loved it, and she said it was highly nutritious. Who knew?

People eat all manner of insects, too. Fried, boiled, grilled, etc.

Just depends on where ya come from. Folks down south eat with great gusto those little critters that grow in the rice paddies and other muddy places. I think they call them crawfish.

Maggie
Hi Maggie,

I think we are spoiled in N. America. Our celebrity chefs are regaled as being "highly creative." Who couldn't create something magical with the best ingredients at hand? The most "creative" are those you spoke of - from third-world countries - and the challenges they face to keep a family fed.

I know I am a "foodie" but it did not come easily. Like a good meal, it takes time; the main ingredients being maturity, open-mindedness, and acceptance. When I think back to my Scandinavian grandmother who would go to great lengths to prepare a classic Sunday smorgasbord that I would not touch. My poor granny finally gave up. I was sent to the rumpus room with a T.V. dinner and Walt Disney. Ecstasy for an eight-year old kid, but I now wish I had some of her wonderful recipes.

I am curious about all cultures and their cuisine; my favourites are all the Asian ones, especially Japanese and Vietnamese.

I have heard of crawfish, and am really intrigued by Southern cuisine. We have never heard of "grits" up here.

Happy cooking!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I assume buggering means the same thing in BC as here, and I am still laughing at the visuals that came to me when I read that. I suppose you could have had your mush buggered too.

Gene
Gene, did you laugh at my bad spelling too? It's "taro root" not "tarot."

hmmmmmmm.....maybe my fortune lies somewhere inside that pile of mush that is now festering on the manure/compost pile.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Southern cuisine

You've no doubt heard of hominy - which is corn kernals that have been soaked in lye water until they swell up really big and turn white. Grits are those hominy kernals which have been dried and ground up, and they're a great alternative to potatoes (I think anyway).

Crayfish down here are called crawdads or (closer to the Mississippi) mudbugs. They're like little lobsters with their own unique flavor, and the mental image of a pot of steaming hot mudbugs with new potatoes and corn cobettes being dumped out onto a butcher paper covered table makes my mouth water. A real coona$$ (cajun) sucks the juice out of the head before he eats the tail meat and then washes it down with a swig of ice cold Dixie beer. Only thing is that dish, like BBQ ribs and watermelon, is one of those that you should take off all your clothes to eat and then wash up with a water hose before putting your clothes back on after you're finished.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Crusty, I really do prefer that kind of eatin'. It's up to your elbows, unpretentious, and really, really good! And yes, I have heard of hominy.

Vancouver (the urban centre closest to me at present) touts itself as a "destination city" for cuisine. I would agree with that; we have some world-class restaurants. But to tell you the truth, I am sick to death of another over-priced "towered" presentation - served by a waiter with an expression akin to "what's this bad smell in the room - it's definitely not the cuisine!"

Thanks for your elaboration on Southern cuisine. I'd like to try all of it. Another thing we do not have here are deep-fried pickles. I'm craving those (along with Texas barbeque). Something I have heard about a lot. "Barbeque" here is a bottle of Kraft barbeque sauce sloshed on a steak or piece of chicken.