Old 12-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
And the Beet Goes On....

Beets add some vivid colour to that "internal business," but they are really good for you. So, here's a "root" for the humble beet.

Roasted beets have a wonderful flavour. Better than the boiled or pickled version, IMO.

You do not have to peel them. Just cut off the ends, cut into chunks, sprinkle a bit of olive oil on them, and pop into the oven until tender. When they are done, pour some balsamic vinegar and a bit of sugar or Splenda into a saucepan, reduce, and pour over the beets. They are sweet, savoury, and delicious.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yum, FAN!!

Do you have a recipe for a sweetish, balsamic reduction? Would be delicious with these.

Maggie

Old 12-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Maggie,

All you need is 1/2 cup of balsamic (doesn't even have to be expensive type) and
1 TBS. of sweetener. The sweetener can be white/brown sugar, honey, Splenda, or ??? I have used 1 TBS. of citrus marmalade, raspberry, blueberry, or blackberry jam as a finishing sauce for poultry. To reduce chance of burning, reduce the balsamic to about half, then add the sweetener.

You can also add your favourite herbs. Rosemary or tarragon is my favourite.

This sauce is the epitome of cheap gourmet. I love to prepare dishes that fool my guests that way. They think I've spent a fortune and are embarrassed because they feel their hostess gift was too modest. lol!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #102
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Tyner , Kentucky
Sauteed Spinach with Pine Nuts

This makes a great quick lunch or side dish.

Fresh spinach
Garlic, chopped
Extra Virgin Olive oil
Sea salt
Pine nuts
Cherry tomatoes, halved
Fresh parmesan, slivered

Saute the spinach and garlic in a small amount of olive oil until the spinach is just wilted. Add salt to taste. Add the pine nuts and cherry tomatoes. Give a final stir and spoon onto warmed plates. Add the parmesan. Serve up with a rustic toasted bread and a glass of wine.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Saw this on Dr Oz and it's become my favorite breakfast. On a piece of flatbread, spread some cream cheese, some baby spinach, some chopped garlic, some fresh mushrooms, some tomatoes and the white of one egg, and season to taste. Nuke until the egg white is cooked (4 min in my mw). I've found that spreading the cream cheese so there's a ridge around the perimeter helps to contain the egg white while still liquid and cooking it in a paper bowl to form the flatbread into a dished shape also helps.

This breakfast pizza is odd but delicious to me.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #104
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I love this fool-proof recipe. Best Recipes Ever: Spaghetti squash with roasted tomatoes | Appetizer | Life | National Post

SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH ROASTED TOMATOES
- 1 spaghetti squash, (2 lb/1.25 kg)
- tsp salt
- tsp pepper
- 4 cups grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1 can (540 mL) white kidney beans, cannellini beans, or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

1. Halve and seed squash. Bake, cut-side down, on greased baking sheet in 400F (200C) oven until flesh is tender when pierced, about 1 hour. Using fork, scrape strands into bowl; stir in half each of the salt and pepper. Keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in 13- x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish, toss together tomatoes, garlic, oil, vinegar, hot pepper flakes and remaining salt and pepper. Roast in 400F (200C) oven for 30 minutes.
3. Stir in beans and parsley; roast until beans are heated through and tomatoes are shrivelled, about 10 minutes. Mound squash on platter; spoon tomato mixture over top.
Extra tip: For an extra nutty, cheesy flavour, stir cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese into the cooked and shredded squash.

-- I find the tomato mixture so delicious, so you can use it in other recipes too.

Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #105
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Somewhere , Mostly California
We are all creatures of habit and most of us need a "meat" substitute in our meal plans. My husband is an "opportunistic eater." I am a vegetarian aspiring vegan. So we go for a good compromise - gives me that extra protein and flavor too - by locating Trader Joe's around the country where they have fantastic meat substitutes. Their Barbeque Beef meatless packets are great for bean dishes and chili, the meatless meatballs blown out with sauteed mushrooms and peppers and parmesan are excellent. Tofu deep fry on the outdoor grill is a great Asian protein source. Shop a month at a time at Trader Joes and Whole Foods and any other market you can find this stuff at. At other stores we buy the Quorm nuggets that are my husband's favorites. They are hard to find but twice as yummy as the soy-based offerings. Going meatless just means doing the usual recipies without meat. Go with the soy and mushroom-based substitutes. Albertsons, Walmart, Vons, pathetic. Fresh and easy is better but not much. As we travel around the country, those are my oasis (oases? ) Then just carry on as you used to! Going veg is no big deal.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #106
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Yummy yum yum.

Crusty, your "odd" breakfast pizza sounds delish. With high cholesterol & packing extra pounds, I'd probably use whole-grain pita and substitute a low-fat ricotta or spreadable goat cheese for the cream cheese, but I'm all set to try this at home.

We are carnivores and definitely into "real food" but some of our favourite vegetarian (lacto-ovo) main dishes are:

Pasta with pesto genovese

Tacos or enchiladas with refried bean filling

Grilled portobello mushrooms with a whole-grain breadcrumb or ground nut and cheese stuffing.

Omlets. Usually frittata style, as it's easier. Often using mostly egg whites or a minimum # of eggs, as they spread in the pan. One favourite fold-over style involves a filling of sliced avocado sprinkled with lime juice and crumbled feta cheese, and the eggs beaten together with minced garlic and cilantro. Hot sauce or salsa on the side.

Quiche. Leek with spinach or swiss chard is a winner.

Curries. They vary depending upon what's at hand, but an easy one is to gently fry some decent curry powder in butter or oil in a saucepan for a moment. Add some chopped onion. When it is soft, add a can of chickpeas. Stir it around, then add some diced fresh or canned tomatoes. Cook gently to blend the flavours, then serve over rice with a dab of yogurt (plain or with chopped cucumber and fresh mint added) and a dab of chutney on the side.

Our kitchen facilities are limited in the Bambi, so I often make dishes ahead of time at home to take along.

BTW, is anybody else into wraps while camping? You don't have to refrigerate them, they don't crush or crumble, they keep well, and they are good with all kinds of fillings.

Jeanne
Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Jeanne, pita bread works just don't get the kind that puffs up when cooked or you'll have a mess on your hands when the uncooked egg white runs off. I always use whole wheat flatbread and reduced fat cream cheese.

BTW, natural sauerkraut is a superfood and eating it daily has caused me to slowly lose weight (especially around my middle where it was needed the most). I got this tip from a Dr Oz show and the weight loss that he promised is slowly happening, I have about an extra 4" on the end of my belt in a year. It also restored my gut to normal after two years of chemo wrecked my digestive system. It's super easy to make - just buy a kraut crock and a V blade mandolin for slicing the cabbage, some sea salt and some organic cabbage. I have an instructional article from a university if you're interested.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Crusty!

I'd love to have a copy of that recipe for sauerkraut, please.

(I've been lurking this thread, reading and salivating.)

Thanks.

Deb
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
The PDF document is attached to this post.

I've tried all the methods mentioned in it and the kraut crock method has worked the best.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How to make sauerkraut.pdf (186.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #110
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Crusty, thanks for the tips! As a gardener with too much cabbage on occasion, I have made sauerkraut at home. Your recipe is defo worth a try. I wonder, though, does Dr. Oz recommend bratwurst and potato salad to go with it? Hmmmm... probably not.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Great ideas and recipes all!

Am intrigued by the sauerkraut/weight-loss connection. Found this Dr. Oz-inspired salad.....
Dr. Oz's Sauerkraut Salad recipe interpreted by Scott Foster of the Hazellewood Grill & Tap, MN - YouTube
Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Roast carrot and brie soup.

Oh man, this is a favourite!

Recipe from Whistler Weekend Cookbook - it is featured on the cover. Was the contribution from the Whistler Delta hotel chef.
Amazon.com: Whistler Weekend Cookbook (9780969499305): Books