Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #57
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
A Seasoned Vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
When I lived in Buffalo, there was one called the Green St. Cafe, but that's 34 years ago and I'm sure it is very long gone. We found a vegetarian chain in 2004 in Quebec City and Montreal—can't remember the name, but it was all buffet style and very good.
Gene
Good Morning to you VeggieGene
We don't eat out.. if I can help it..
I found the worst place for Vegetarians was Belgium
After trawling the cafes..We ended up buying chips [french fries] from a sort of scruffy caravan but.. as I was about to be served I caught a whiff of Lard ..the friar looked a bit scary so I paid the bill and dropped them in the first bin..
Back in the 50's How I suffered at school being the odd one..
it was quite nightmarish..Out of the thousands of pupils in Infants and juniors I was the only vegetarian..to add salt to the wound..I was incredibly skinny with white hair which made me a target for some Victorian type School Masters who were so very unkind..
One day I was forced to sit for hours until the bacon rind was swallowed..classes changed..much staring and pointing..I was still at the table in the main hall come tea time..finally stuffed said rind my mouth and had a severe choking fit..the scallywags left me alone after that..In fact they did me a favour as many pupils thought it was a dastardly deed and more became my friends because of it..
Every morning we were given a bottle of milk to guzzle ..winter I could cope..but summer time when it was warm..

Tea time at home was a trial.My mother prepared meat and gravy and
yours truly stuffed all..in the tops of white ankle socks..Id leave the table with brown goo oozing out the tops..she said very little but
my father was strict..but..eventually..even he gave up..
This very day my sister husband and their children are the same ..

We design and make our own labels and sell our own Organic Ales
and Ciders at an event once a year..Its professionally brewed to my liking.
Michael Mansfield QC endorsed it..I must contact him again to see if its ok to carry on using his name as I haven't been in touch for a while regarding the legal implications and as he is the most famous QC in England..it wouldn't be wise to do the wrong thing.
Michael Mansfield QC is Vegetarian..He's known as a Left Wing Champagne Charlie..
I'm work for someone else at the mo but hope to slip back into my own thing full time once we have moved from this small cottage..We once owned our own Vegetarian Cafe..Idiot traffic wardens forced us to close..Hans had heart attack with all the stress..and we lost our investment..thats the short version..
Ive been vegetarian for 55 years and Hans is too..In England A proper vegetarian does not eat meat or fish..Actually Im close to Vegan ..I don't drink milk but..I'll scoff a yorkshire pudding at the drop of a hat !
The milky fluid in a glass makes me wretch..cant scratch the Milk Maid and the Cow Image..Took one peep at udders ..and thought theres no way i'm drinking what's squeezed out of that floppy pink sausage ! i'm squeamish..always have been. Today one is not looked upon so much as a weirdo..but to be honest
whilst in my salad days..being shy and retiring I suffered because of it..
today..well.. I don't give a fig..

We found it marvellous in the States..I love your shops and Supermarkets with the lush vegetables and fruits along with very polite shopkeepers..and I just can't wait to come back in September..If younger we would move there in a jiff !

We don't Eat Bunnies at Easter but we do enjoy Hot Cross Bunnies
..Hot Cross Buns ..Give them to your daughters give them to your sons..
one a penny two a penny Hot Cross buns

I'm wishing you a Jolly and Happy easter Gene the Gent and I adore your Avatar..
PS
The 3 of us are designing a website and a TinCrumpet Label I shall send you a bottle if you so wish..TC xx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HOT CROSS BUNNIES .jpg
Views:	82
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	155346  
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad you enjoy the avatar. You too can own a poster of Marilyn Monroe in a potato sack if you visit the Idaho Potato Museum in Blackfoot Idaho. I have thought it is time to move on and have to get around to seeing what other photos I have that are unique.

Yes, eating out is a challenge, but we love to eat out and I have to be flexible. It has certainly gotten easier to find vegetarian food in the past decades. When we first went to Alaska in 2002, a salad was hard to find, but that has changed. And we have a little fine dining type restaurant in town where the chef will make anything I want. I don't know how long this place will last, but we are taking advantage of it while we can. The number of insults about my eating are less now than they used to be. So things are getting better and I have a wife who is flexible in preparing food even though I have been unable to completely reform her. The hardest thing for me is visiting her parents where a big chunk of meat will be there and slabs of it on people's plates. They make sure there is food for me, but don't realize how body parts on display don't make my meal pleasant. They are great people, so, again, flexibility on my part is necessary. To them, lunch or dinner without meat is impossible to consider.

More on avatars—it would be cool if we could make them bigger by running the cursor over them. I often wonder what I am looking at, but can't really tell. TinCrumpet's is cool too.

Gene

Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #59
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
We found a vegetarian chain in 2004 in Quebec City and Montreal—can't remember the name, but it was all buffet style and very good.

Gene
Commensal

A Good restaurant in a city full of great ones.

If you ever get to Ottawa, try the Mongolian Village Grill. It's not strictly veggie, but they are very supportive to vegetarians and in fact, they give them a 10% discount!

There are a few in Ottawa, all the same idea and name.

There's also The Table, another buffet style restaurant, this time it is veggie 100%. No fancy décor, but good food.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
In cities it seems pretty easy to find good vegetarian alternatives- I'm not 100% but like to eat vegetarian, especially in a good restaurant, to see how they do it. I'm sure you all know this one

Greens Restaurant

worth going out of your way for. The cookbook is excellent, although the recipes are kind of tedious to make, and I have a high tolerance for tedious cooking projects. Gluten free is more difficult to find, but more places are becoming aware of gluten in their ingredients.

Another cookbook that is good, is the old Moosewood book. There are a lot of really good things in there...
Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #61
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Glad you enjoy the avatar. You too can own a poster of Marilyn Monroe in a potato sack if you visit the Idaho Potato Museum in Blackfoot Idaho. I have thought it is time to move on and have to get around to seeing what other photos I have that are unique.

Yes, eating out is a challenge, but we love to eat out and I have to be flexible. It has certainly gotten easier to find vegetarian food in the past decades. When we first went to Alaska in 2002, a salad was hard to find, but that has changed. And we have a little fine dining type restaurant in town where the chef will make anything I want. I don't know how long this place will last, but we are taking advantage of it while we can. The number of insults about my eating are less now than they used to be. So things are getting better and I have a wife who is flexible in preparing food even though I have been unable to completely reform her. The hardest thing for me is visiting her parents where a big chunk of meat will be there and slabs of it on people's plates. They make sure there is food for me, but don't realize how body parts on display don't make my meal pleasant. They are great people, so, again, flexibility on my part is necessary. To them, lunch or dinner without meat is impossible to consider.
More on avatars—it would be cool if we could make them bigger by running the cursor over them. I often wonder what I am looking at, but can't really tell. TinCrumpet's is cool too.

Gene
Marlyn in a Potato sack..Funneee..
I Manage to look like a sack of spuds in a normal frock ! ..
Vinnie took me for a meal to ..in his words
"a completely vegetarian cafe"
Everything was green and wood..you know..puts one at ease
I was famished..and he was paying so I had heaps..
some of this some of that some of the other..some I didn't even recognise
Thought i'd shovelled quorn into my mouth..
felt a bit too chewy for comfort..
"Whats this!!"
"Chicken"
"Chicken!! you said it was all vegetarian"
"Ye apart from the chicken"

Avatar..Took Hans Jnr and yours truly hours and hours to get it right ..
but..when he added the mouth wollah !! I screeched with absoloute
delight !! Ive thought of a black .eerrrr...whats it called again..err..
oh fiddlesticks cant remember..errr..silhouette that's the one..silhouette
He can draw it for the TinCrumpet Bottle Label ..I just typed balek
instead of label..mmmm..looked quite odd
He is coming here ..when ?? oh ive lost track being indoors with this filthy weather..oh its tomorrow.he's back tomorrow..cheerios for now brown cow
Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Aage, Commensal must be it.

I am familiar with that "chewy" feeling when chicken or something else meaty finds its way into what was said to be vegetarian. It happens about every 2 or 3 years. It does result in me not having to pay for the meal, but that is a small victory.

Mexican restaurants are troublesome. Refried beans frequently have lard in them though vegetarian alternatives are available. I prefer green chile to red, but usually green has pork in it. Red may or may not. Table salsa (that which comes with chips) usually is veggie, but sometimes sugar is added. That salsa is ok with chips, but no substitute for chile, however, that is what I end up with on the entree because it is all they have. The language barrier can make it difficult. That is true in some Chinese restaurants. I suspect Chinese restaurants cook most things in chicken broth, but do not ask questions. We love these ethnic foods, so I try to make my way through it.

Gene
Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I like reading these posts, makes me feel like I'm not the "Lone Ranger" vegetarian on the forums! Lots of nice tips and recipes. Yesterday, for our starch at Easter (which included Honeybaked ham for the carnivores) we had Grown Up Mac and Cheese. A recipe developed by a friend that writes cookbooks, it takes the usual, somewhat bland mac and cheese to a new level, the cheeses cost a few bucks extra, but are worth it and the dish is worth the extra carbs (as I am a low carb eater most of the time). Enjoy, everyone liked it from our more "sophisticated" eaters to an in law who won't eat Breyer's vanilla ice cream because "it has black specks in it" (otherwise he is a great guy, but a very picky eater).
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
It's the Real Thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Where's the Rum & Coke fit in with all this??!!
LOL! How about some gluten-free rum and Coke cupcakes? Substitute gluten-free flour, Splenda for the sugar, Coke Zero for the Coke - and there you go! A healthier, lower-carb version.

Vegetarians don't have to cut out all the fun ya' know.

Coffee and Cannolis: Rum and Coke Cupcakes
Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Gluten in Chinese food is a problem, and the language barrier is doubly tough. I'm deathly allergic to some fish, so restaurants are a challenge- twice I've had anaphylaxis through cross contamination in restaurants- very nice restaurants in the SF East Bay, food sensitivity central. Rum and Coke cupcakes sound kinda good, but I'd ditch the coke and use tamarindo syrup, you can make your own with Splenda if you have to be sugar free. Luckily, our local gin is gluten free, and so are olives.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
A Happy Hot 'n Sweet Curry

Even though I have invested in some vegetarian cookbooks, I am having fun experimenting. Today's brunch is an example. Was craving something hot and sweet. So, came up with this - a happy little sweet curry. It was easy and sure woke-up the taste buds!

This is what I did:

- took a couple of tablespoons of frozen tangerine (or orange juice) and melted in a saucepan, then added some shredded cabbage and yellow-pepper strips. Cooked until slightly limp. I then added freshly-ground pepper and sea salt to taste.

- then I placed about 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese, another couple tablespoons of frozen tangerine juice, a splash of milk, large tablespoon of curry, and a couple of handfuls of canned garbanzo beans in the blender, and pureed until smooth. The garbanzo beans added a little extra protein and texture to the mixture (you do not need flour/gluten to thicken anything). Then I dumped this into a saucepan and cooked over medium heat until bubbly.

- placed cabbage/pepper mixture in a martini glass (I like to do this sometimes - makes a blah day kinda special) poured curry sauce on top and sprinkled some dried apricot shreds and raw sunflower seeds on top

Very healthy and tasty!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
"I Eats My Spinach"

These spinach nuggets were excellent. Tasted a lot like spinach souffle.

With a spinach dip - scrumptious! I call them McPopeye's.

Would be a handy thing for the road. You can bake or fry them. I bet you could also stick 'em on a stick and roast them over a campfire. They are made in Israel of all places, but distributed from a company in Maine. Should be easy to find in most U.S. supermarkets/health-food stores.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #68
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
[/QUOTE]

There I was chit chatting to a friends of mine whilst leaning on her shopping trolley....glanced down and said " is that your tea ?..Hey..it looks like road kill" ..
Friendly wave and cheerios..
Hx1 Hx2 and yours truly watched an American Film whilst eating ..
called...ta da .."Road Kills" ..Apart from turning away when they were scooping and flinging..
all in all.. truly worth watching..

When we were catering at Goodwood..we were incredibly busy..our food
prepared on site was far better quality than yer cheapo burgers with nasty pre-sliced white bread full of sugar and salt..Customers..one after the other were asking for salad with - Extra Extra - Virgin Olive Oil..odd..too many extras..after the show I was wiping the large menu boards especially printed for the show.. Misprint.."Salad with Extra Extra Olive Oil"

A friend on the forums gave me the most glorious hint of Baking Bread in Cast Iron Pot..The trick is to add the dough when said pot is red hot ..far too hot to touch even..otherwise you'll need a crow bar to remove it..Simply Wonderful with Vegetarian cheese and Toms with Balsamic and One Extra Virgin Olive Oil..I say Vegetarian cheese as I avoid normal cheese which contains calf stomach [rennet] I scoff cheese with man made rennet..

I very much appreciated no-one has been unkind to me regarding my eating preferences on the Forums in fact they are ever so ever so ..
Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #69
Totally New No Clue

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Another Veggie Enthusiast (but not vegetarian)

Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie here and was pleased to find this thread. I'm not a vegetarian, but I do lots of vegetarian dishes to try to boost my veggie consumption and reduce the amount of meat and dairy proteins and fats. It's complicated for me because my husband (Bruce B) is a rather committed carnivore. Often I make two meals: his carnivore dish, and a veggie dish for me that serves (if he likes it) as his side. Some he likes, some not so much... This can get complicated in the Airstream because of limited space/resources. We have just a two-burner stove top, no oven or microwave. I'll happily post a few recipes.
Dorsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #70
Totally New No Clue

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Pan-Fried Broccolini and Mung Beans with Tempeh

This was last night's yummy dinner, and Bruce liked it too!

Source: Super Natural Every Day - Heidi Swanson

2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 T shoyu, tamari or soy sauce
8 oz tempeh, cut into pencil-think strips
2.5 C broccolini or broccoli florets, bite-sized (I used more than this)
sea salt
1.5 C cooked mung beans
grated zest of one lemon
1 C loosely packed chopped cilantro (or parsley, if you prefer)
1/3 C Greek yogurt or creme fraiche
  • Whisk together olive oil and shoyu in shallow dish, toss in tempeh and marinate at least 5 minutes.
  • Place tempeh in a single layer in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reserve leftover oil mixture (about 1 T). Cook tempeh until sides are deeply golden, a few minutes each side. Remove tempeh from the pan.
  • Add the reserved olive oil-shoyu mixture to the skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the broccolini and a couple pinshes of salt. Cover and cook for a minute. Uncover and stir in the mung beans. Saute, stirring constantly until the broccolini is bright and slightly tender and the beans are hot, another couple of minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest and cilantro.
  • In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt or creme fraiche and 2 pinshes of salt.
  • Turn out the bean mixture onto a platter, top with the tempeh and a few dollops of the salted yogurt, and serve immediately.

Leftovers made a wonderful lunch.

I forgot to take a picture, so here is one out of the cookbook. It looks just like mine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tempeh.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	612.8 KB
ID:	155609  

Dorsal is offline   Reply With Quote