Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hi all! I've been a flexitarian for years... last year I went vegan for 9 months. It wasn't as tough as I thought it would be because there are so many great products. It was however hard on my friends/family who worried about what to serve me or where we could go out to eat. So I added seafood to my diet and social eating was much easier. After moving to Reno, I threw in the towel and dove head-first into meat. Now that I've been off the wagon for 6 months, I'm ready to take a step back again. I may not go hardcore vegan (both too costly and difficult to find my favorite products in rural NV) but I will do vegetarian. For breakfast I had a stand-by:

Pasta Pancake:
- left over pasta (plain or with sauce)
- enough egg to cover pasta
- 1 c chopped spinach
- 1/4 c parmesan cheese
- sprinkle garlic, salt & pepper
- anything else you want to add

Mix all above. Heat skillet, add oil and add mixture. Cook on medium until bottom is browned, turn and heat other side. Turn pancake/omelet onto plate, slice and serve. Yum. Today I used leftover rigatoni in garlic wine sauce and a handful of sun-dried tomatoes. I wanted to eat it all but I'm having some friends up for happy hour this evening and use the leftover as a tapa.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Hi all! I've been a flexitarian for years... last year I went vegan for 9 months. It wasn't as tough as I thought it would be because there are so many great products. It was however hard on my friends/family who worried about what to serve me or where we could go out to eat. So I added seafood to my diet and social eating was much easier. After moving to Reno, I threw in the towel and dove head-first into meat. Now that I've been off the wagon for 6 months, I'm ready to take a step back again. I may not go hardcore vegan (both too costly and difficult to find my favorite products in rural NV) but I will do vegetarian. For breakfast I had a stand-by:

Pasta Pancake:
- left over pasta (plain or with sauce)
- enough egg to cover pasta
- 1 c chopped spinach
- 1/4 c parmesan cheese
- sprinkle garlic, salt & pepper
- anything else you want to add

Mix all above. Heat skillet, add oil and add mixture. Cook on medium until bottom is browned, turn and heat other side. Turn pancake/omelet onto plate, slice and serve. Yum. Today I used leftover rigatoni in garlic wine sauce and a handful of sun-dried tomatoes. I wanted to eat it all but I'm having some friends up for happy hour this evening and use the leftover as a tapa.

Laura
I used to make a Spaghetti Frittata for my children that was similar to this, but with lots of fresh chopped parsley instead of the spinach and a good handful of parmesan cheese. Brown on one side, flip to brown on the other or put under the broiler to cook the top. Slice in wedges to serve.

Maggie
Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
Peanut Butter Cookies

This one is so easy it's ridiculous, but man, they're good!

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine:
1 cup smooth peanut butter (use a good natural one that doesn't contain hydrogenated oil or sugar)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup mashed banana
1 teaspoon baking soda

Roll tablespoonfuls of dough. Place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten with the tines of a fork twice, making a cross-hatch pattern. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies are just starting to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack.

The banana gives the cookies a little extra flavor, which I love. Or if you'd rather, use 1 large egg in place of the banana. Or use prepared egg replacer, which is mostly potato starch so the cookies come out sandy and somewhat dry. The banana version is my favorite.

R2DTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Yum! Lots of good stuff here.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
funkil, it's good to experiment before finding one's place on the alternate-dietary wheel.

My vegetarian/low gluten diet is not extreme. I still consume dairy and fish/shell fish. The choices are infinite; with some creative interchange, one does not have to feel deprived.

I just enjoyed a nice little Good Friday lunch: A Mexican tuna melt. Tuna, cheddar, and tequilia-lime salsa on Corn Thins. Corn Thins are versatile and gluten free. They are made in Australia, but there is a wide distributor base in Canada.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2DTube View Post
This one is so easy it's ridiculous, but man, they're good!

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine:
1 cup smooth peanut butter (use a good natural one that doesn't contain hydrogenated oil or sugar)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup mashed banana
1 teaspoon baking soda

Roll tablespoonfuls of dough. Place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten with the tines of a fork twice, making a cross-hatch pattern. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies are just starting to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack.

The banana gives the cookies a little extra flavor, which I love. Or if you'd rather, use 1 large egg in place of the banana. Or use prepared egg replacer, which is mostly potato starch so the cookies come out sandy and somewhat dry. The banana version is my favorite.

R2T, you could replace the sugar with Splenda to make it diabetic-friendly. Thanks - will try!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Where's the Rum & Coke fit in with all this??!!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Somewhere , Mostly California
How cool that this topic has come up here on the forums. I thought I was the only vegetarian with an Airstream in the universe. Nice to know there are birds of a feather here. My husband Nick and I eat vegetarian most of the time with occasional fish. I have tons of great Airstream-easy vegetarian recipes to share. Here is my vegan breakfast mess but it can be used for lunch or dinner.

Quinoa Zucchini Hash

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
2 packets of Swanson flavor boost veggie concentrate
1 zucchini thinly sliced
1 tomato chopped
2 garlic cloves mashed
handful of walnut pieces
Mrs. Dash table blend seasoning
olive oil
Bragg's Liquid aminos seasoning (or soy sauce)

Make the quinoa according to the package directions in a small saucepan with lid, adding the broth packets to the water.

Saute over high heat the garlic, zucchini, tomato and nuts in oil. Allow to brown before turning. Sprinkle with Mrs. Dash seasoning.

Add a cup or two of quinoa, fresh ground pepper and serve. Sprinkle with Bragg's aminos. Yum.

This is the kind of recipe you can make on the camp stove outside the Airstream too. You can also change the veggies depending on what you just bought from the farmers market, or use different nuts, like pecan, pine, or peanuts.

If you haven't tried quinoa (pronouned keen-wa) what are you waiting for? It's GREAT.
wendywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #49

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendywoods
How cool that this topic has come up here on the forums. I thought I was the only vegetarian with an Airstream in the universe. Nice to know there are birds of a feather here. My husband Nick and I eat vegetarian most of the time with occasional fish. I have tons of great Airstream-easy vegetarian recipes to share. Here is my vegan breakfast mess but it can be used for lunch or dinner.

Quinoa Zucchini Hash

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
2 packets of Swanson flavor boost veggie concentrate
1 zucchini thinly sliced
1 tomato chopped
2 garlic cloves mashed
handful of walnut pieces
Mrs. Dash table blend seasoning
olive oil
Bragg's Liquid aminos seasoning (or soy sauce)

Make the quinoa according to the package directions in a small saucepan with lid, adding the broth packets to the water.

Saute over high heat the garlic, zucchini, tomato and nuts in oil. Allow to brown before turning. Sprinkle with Mrs. Dash seasoning.

Add a cup or two of quinoa, fresh ground pepper and serve. Sprinkle with Bragg's aminos. Yum.

This is the kind of recipe you can make on the camp stove outside the Airstream too. You can also change the veggies depending on what you just bought from the farmers market, or use different nuts, like pecan, pine, or peanuts.

If you haven't tried quinoa (pronouned keen-wa) what are you waiting for? It's GREAT.
Sounds yummy! I love quinoa! Full of protein and very good. I'll give this a try
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #50
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
You can always get 2 slices of bread...and spread grape jelly on one piece and peanut butter on the other slice....then press together!!

But, don't forget the bacon on the side...lol

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Can a Vegetarian Get Her Money's Worth at a $90 Buffet?

Recently attended a $90/person fundraiser featuring a buffet. Since going on this vegetarian gluten/sugar-free gig, I was curious as to how that would pan out with the food choices. (I do eat fish though). Is this getting boring?

Standing in line holding my cold plate like something out of Oliver Twist (boy, was I hungry) the first part of the buffet was a bit disappointing. Anticipating a good load-up on salads, they did not offer much of a selection. The usual raw veggies and dip platter, a mixed green salad, another salad featuring a medley of artichokes and peppers, and an Asian-style coleslaw with a sweet and sour dressing (usually loaded with sugar). There was also the huge pasta salad - caterers are big on this because they are relatively cheap - with some kind of chopped meat. So, loaded up on the raw veggies, the green salad, and a spoonful of the artichoke/pepper medley.

There was a big wooden crate filled with artisan buns. As tempting as they were, I had to pass, remembering how gluten sits in the stomach like a great wad of raw dough. The carnivore beside me passed on everything. "The good stuff is at the other end." Well, maybe for him. Would there be anything I could eat? This might be one expensive plate of salad! (Yes, I know it's a fundraiser, but you still want to get some of your hard-earned money's worth in the food department).

However, after the lukewarm salad section, what awaited did not.

Holy cow.....or should I say, holy salmon! There was a huge platter of smoked salmon. What a delicacy. One of my favourites...as I piled a few slices onto the plate with a squeeze of fresh lemon.

Moving on down, now we're into the hot section. Rice, roasted potatoes, and a big silver chafing dish of broccoli, carrots, and celery. I passed on the starch - am also watching my carbs - but the vegetables were nice and crisp. I used to think of celery as something best raw, but it is really good slightly cooked. So, I plucked out a lot of celery.

Next....skewers of Tandori chicken. They looked good, but I passed on those with no regrets - remembering how my last chicken craving tasted funny - like cage cleaner. Not surprising, considering non-organic chicken is dunked into bleach during processing.

Beyond the chicken, another seafood jackpot. More skewers featuring more salmon, scallops, and the biggest prawns glistening in a butter-dill baste. I loaded the plate up with two of those.

Crowning the head of the table was the perfunctory baron of beef, medium rare. Another old favourite, but I have truly lost my taste for meat. But...carnivore heaven for that guy beside me. This was the first time he smiled.

The seafood skewers were fantastic. Fresh off the boat, and not overcooked. It's easy to dry-out seafood, especially when it's on a skewer, but the chef had them done to perfection. The smoked salmon was great. The salads were typical, but fresh and crisp.

The dessert table featured a huge selection of fresh fruit. I loaded my dessert plate with sun-kissed Calilfornia strawberries and melon. Always a treat for any pale winter-weary Canadian.

So, all-in-all I survived this forray down the buffet highway without hitting any potholes. I did not feel deprived or cheated.

The road to Wellville continues.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #52
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad you made it through. Buffets and pot lucks can be a disaster—sometimes I can't figure our what something is and what is in it, and many times there is little for me to eat. I avoid them. We live in a rural area where there are many potlucks and I usually eat beforehand. One of the 5 food groups here seems to be marshmallows.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Gene, lol! Know exactly what you're saying there, babe. Me thinks a lot of those marshmallows will be consumed today via "Ambrosia Salad." Marshmallows, canned mandarins, pineapple and maraschino cherries in whipping cream. Mom used to serve this with her Easter ham along with the green bean/mushroom soup/ dried-onion casserole. The kind of fare that sure fattened me up as a kid.

Another staple from mom's kitchen was "Purple Haze." More marshmallows dissolved with Welch's grape juice. This was developed long before Jimi Hendrix started strumming, so nothing was added that would launch you into delirium (unless you were diabetic). The result: something resembling a congealed varicose vein.

I feel your pain.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
When my baby boy was dating a vegitarian a couple of years ago I developed Clean out the garden baked veggies. Layers of potatoes, sliced onions, sliced peppers, sliced eggplant all sprinkled with fresh herbe, salt and pepper, olive oil and covered with foil and set on the grill. It tasted better than the meat I was cooking. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
noreen, I can taste the explosion in my mouth. Love it!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Smile

We aren't vegan or vegetarian but we eat healthy and organic. Daughter is gluten free and lactose challenged, so we look at food differently. I don't do meat or cheese, dh doesn't do cheese or most condiments incl mayo,,sour cream, vinegars....
Soo....we do mostly fresh food. Although we are newbies, I was looking for ideas that would not be too complicated . But here's my first contribution.
My go to recipe is simple.:
En papiollote. Or how I like it: in foil....on the BBQ!

Prep is easy. Cut up veggies, herbs, fish or chicken, lemon, maybe a little wine or broth. Wrap it up and put it on the grill or above the fire. Perfect. Fresh, organic, healthy. You really don't need a true recipe.

Sweet potatoes wrapped in foil on the grill. Fruit grilled ...nectarines and peaches. Perfect.

Now bad weather rescues: taco night, soups, salads. And good old PB and j. Looooove quinoa ...been eating it for years. Great protein and you can mix anything in it! Also trader joes vacuum packaged lentils are great. Mix in tomatoes and cukes...spices and balsamic...awesome quickie. Throw in any veggies.
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #57
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
A Seasoned Vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
When I lived in Buffalo, there was one called the Green St. Cafe, but that's 34 years ago and I'm sure it is very long gone. We found a vegetarian chain in 2004 in Quebec City and Montreal—can't remember the name, but it was all buffet style and very good.
Gene
Good Morning to you VeggieGene
We don't eat out.. if I can help it..
I found the worst place for Vegetarians was Belgium
After trawling the cafes..We ended up buying chips [french fries] from a sort of scruffy caravan but.. as I was about to be served I caught a whiff of Lard ..the friar looked a bit scary so I paid the bill and dropped them in the first bin..
Back in the 50's How I suffered at school being the odd one..
it was quite nightmarish..Out of the thousands of pupils in Infants and juniors I was the only vegetarian..to add salt to the wound..I was incredibly skinny with white hair which made me a target for some Victorian type School Masters who were so very unkind..
One day I was forced to sit for hours until the bacon rind was swallowed..classes changed..much staring and pointing..I was still at the table in the main hall come tea time..finally stuffed said rind my mouth and had a severe choking fit..the scallywags left me alone after that..In fact they did me a favour as many pupils thought it was a dastardly deed and more became my friends because of it..
Every morning we were given a bottle of milk to guzzle ..winter I could cope..but summer time when it was warm..

Tea time at home was a trial.My mother prepared meat and gravy and
yours truly stuffed all..in the tops of white ankle socks..Id leave the table with brown goo oozing out the tops..she said very little but
my father was strict..but..eventually..even he gave up..
This very day my sister husband and their children are the same ..

We design and make our own labels and sell our own Organic Ales
and Ciders at an event once a year..Its professionally brewed to my liking.
Michael Mansfield QC endorsed it..I must contact him again to see if its ok to carry on using his name as I haven't been in touch for a while regarding the legal implications and as he is the most famous QC in England..it wouldn't be wise to do the wrong thing.
Michael Mansfield QC is Vegetarian..He's known as a Left Wing Champagne Charlie..
I'm work for someone else at the mo but hope to slip back into my own thing full time once we have moved from this small cottage..We once owned our own Vegetarian Cafe..Idiot traffic wardens forced us to close..Hans had heart attack with all the stress..and we lost our investment..thats the short version..
Ive been vegetarian for 55 years and Hans is too..In England A proper vegetarian does not eat meat or fish..Actually Im close to Vegan ..I don't drink milk but..I'll scoff a yorkshire pudding at the drop of a hat !
The milky fluid in a glass makes me wretch..cant scratch the Milk Maid and the Cow Image..Took one peep at udders ..and thought theres no way i'm drinking what's squeezed out of that floppy pink sausage ! i'm squeamish..always have been. Today one is not looked upon so much as a weirdo..but to be honest
whilst in my salad days..being shy and retiring I suffered because of it..
today..well.. I don't give a fig..

We found it marvellous in the States..I love your shops and Supermarkets with the lush vegetables and fruits along with very polite shopkeepers..and I just can't wait to come back in September..If younger we would move there in a jiff !

We don't Eat Bunnies at Easter but we do enjoy Hot Cross Bunnies
..Hot Cross Buns ..Give them to your daughters give them to your sons..
one a penny two a penny Hot Cross buns

I'm wishing you a Jolly and Happy easter Gene the Gent and I adore your Avatar..
PS
The 3 of us are designing a website and a TinCrumpet Label I shall send you a bottle if you so wish..TC xx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HOT CROSS BUNNIES .jpg
Views:	165
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	155346  
Attached Images

TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #58
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad you enjoy the avatar. You too can own a poster of Marilyn Monroe in a potato sack if you visit the Idaho Potato Museum in Blackfoot Idaho. I have thought it is time to move on and have to get around to seeing what other photos I have that are unique.

Yes, eating out is a challenge, but we love to eat out and I have to be flexible. It has certainly gotten easier to find vegetarian food in the past decades. When we first went to Alaska in 2002, a salad was hard to find, but that has changed. And we have a little fine dining type restaurant in town where the chef will make anything I want. I don't know how long this place will last, but we are taking advantage of it while we can. The number of insults about my eating are less now than they used to be. So things are getting better and I have a wife who is flexible in preparing food even though I have been unable to completely reform her. The hardest thing for me is visiting her parents where a big chunk of meat will be there and slabs of it on people's plates. They make sure there is food for me, but don't realize how body parts on display don't make my meal pleasant. They are great people, so, again, flexibility on my part is necessary. To them, lunch or dinner without meat is impossible to consider.

More on avatars—it would be cool if we could make them bigger by running the cursor over them. I often wonder what I am looking at, but can't really tell. TinCrumpet's is cool too.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #59
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
We found a vegetarian chain in 2004 in Quebec City and Montreal—can't remember the name, but it was all buffet style and very good.

Gene
Commensal

A Good restaurant in a city full of great ones.

If you ever get to Ottawa, try the Mongolian Village Grill. It's not strictly veggie, but they are very supportive to vegetarians and in fact, they give them a 10% discount!

There are a few in Ottawa, all the same idea and name.

There's also The Table, another buffet style restaurant, this time it is veggie 100%. No fancy décor, but good food.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
In cities it seems pretty easy to find good vegetarian alternatives- I'm not 100% but like to eat vegetarian, especially in a good restaurant, to see how they do it. I'm sure you all know this one

Greens Restaurant

worth going out of your way for. The cookbook is excellent, although the recipes are kind of tedious to make, and I have a high tolerance for tedious cooking projects. Gluten free is more difficult to find, but more places are becoming aware of gluten in their ingredients.

Another cookbook that is good, is the old Moosewood book. There are a lot of really good things in there...