Old 03-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We like the Morningstar Farms sausage patties, which I dare the average child to tell from real sausage. Very tasty with blueberry pancakes.

We have also used textured vegetable protein (TVP) to extend meat in meatloaf, meatballs, etc. Disappears right into the real meat. We buy it at a local health food store, but I think lots of supermarkets carry it these days.

Maggie

Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #170
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
>>Utah is not a good place for anything but 1950's food.<<

I am sure you mean Utah outside of Salt Lake City and Park City. In SLC and PC we have a Trader Joes, Sprouts, Whole Foods, several Fresh Markets, and Dan's (good for locally grown produce). Snyder Bros. is one of the last old time butchers with prime meats, sausages, and personal service. And last,but not least, is Tony Caputos, the best Italian Deli in the west. The only place in the West where I find food quality as good and sometimes better than SLC is In Northern California. I stock up before a long trip, and then ration the goodies so they last the whole trip. When I visit friends and family in Montana and Colorado, I am always deluged with orders for Italian sausage, Serrano hams, cheeses, exotic pasta, and other delicacies.

Most of Utah may be funeral potatoes, fry sauce, burgers, and meatloaf, but SLC is pretty blessed with quality healthy food. Stock up when you come through. There is even a good selection of wines. If you are blowing through on I-80, stop at the Kimball junction exit. There is a Whole Foods right off the freeway, plus a number of notable restaurants in the same development.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #171
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Wendy, many AS couples are half 'n half. One is vegetarian - the other is not. FlashSilver was just giving us some shopping options in his state. Let's try not to become too "preachy." Like most things, a sense of humour goes a long way, i.e. today I was in Value Village - the big second-hand goods/clothing chain and found a book I liked, so bought it: The Healthiest People on Earth Cookbook. I thought I might post a few recipes here.

However, one has to wonder about its former owner(s). Did they suddenly drop dead?

See what I mean?.....
Old 06-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #172
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sheboygan , Wisconsin
Excited to find this thread! Both of us have been vegans for almost 7 years now.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #173
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
I've been a member of this thread, but not posted in it....saw the new message pop through and thought, why not?

I know many are vegetarian or vegan, but are there other special diets represented? I was diagnosed with celiac about eleven years ago and have been gluten free since way before it became trendy.

Anyone else....?

Julianne
Old 06-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #174
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kim Chi

Hi Julianne. A lot of people are cutting back on gluten, even if they don't have celiac disease. I know I feel better when I do. Do you have any favourite gluten-free recipes you'd like to post?

Before going on the road, I like to do some food prep beforehand.

Kim Chi is a Korean condiment which tastes better after it has fermented in the fridge or cooler for a few days. It can also be stored in a glass container in the fridge for up to a month. So, it's the perfect thing to make beforehand. I like it because it is healthy and can jazz up many dishes. I add it to rice, fish, chicken, a stir fry, sandwich or pita. It also makes a nice hot 'n sour soup when added to chicken broth

Kim Chi

2 heads nappa cabbage
1/2 cup salt
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
4 green onions, chopped fine
2 minced garlic cloves
2 Tbsp. white sugar or Splenda
1 Tbsp. fresh minced ginger
4 Tbsp. hotsauce or any Chinese chili paste

Cut the cabbage into 2 inch wedges. Dissolve salt in a large bowl with 4 cups of water. Soak the cabbage in the salty water for 3-4 hours. Rinse off and drain the cabbage well.

In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and add the cabbage, mixing it well to coat all the leaves. Transfer to a large container (or several canning jars with lids if hitting the road) and refrigerate (or place in cooler) for 2-3 days so the flavours can marry. Can be refrigerated and stored for up to a month.

World's Healthiest Foods: Kimchi (Korea) - Digestive Health - Health.com

Have also started to make my own sushi because it's cheaper!

This yam sushi turned out pretty good, and the ingredients cost about .50 compared to buying it at $3.99/roll....
Old 06-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #175
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Getting more adventurous with the sushi making:
brown rice, cream cheese, avocado and crab in a tempura crust - McSushi!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #176
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
I've always wanted to try my own Kim Chi. Thanks for posting the recipe.

I'll try to post a couple of recipes this weekend, if I can get my plumbing and wiring issues worked out in the Streamline.

Julianne
Old 06-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #177
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mmmm hmm....

I'd like to camp with FAN sometime. We could share a meal or two, me with my simple offerings, FAN with her gourmet creations, presented beautifully.

Maggie
Old 06-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #178
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Maggie, don't worry about those "simple offerings." (And you are being too modest).

Just sit by the campfire with your feet up, and I'll be happily cook up a storm for you. I love stuffing people.

I am working on that cookbook. I may even do some recipe experimentation on my next trip, then invite my fellow campers for a taste test.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #179
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Idaho Breakfast.....or Lunch.....or Dinner

At the start of the thread I wrote about one thing I wasn't giving up: the odd hit of real bacon.

Was craving bacon 'n eggs and a baked potato this morning, so decided to marry 'em.

Nuked a potato, scooped out the flesh, added some scrambled egg and a bit of milk/butter to moisten, then topped with cheese, dill, and bacon.

I call it the Idaho Breakfast. It was pretty good! It would be an easy anytime meal on the road. ...and can also be made with tofu bacon.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Now that looks delicious!

A favorite, simple meal of ours is a large baker sliced up and cooked with a bit of onion and ham or bacon. When done, add as many beaten eggs as you like and cook til done.

Breakfast or dinner on any given day, Doug is always ready for this.

Maggie
Old 06-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #181
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Fly at Night, I viewed your kim chee recipe as an interesting curiosity till my garden produced three massive heads of su choy (like bok choy) cabbage. I mean, how much stir-fry can you eat? Right now one of the heads is in the fridge as a fresh veggie, and one is in a marinade from a Korean cookbook recipe that is a lot like yours. The third is still entertaining garden slugs, but will be harvested soon.

For anyone who is interested, you can substitute hot pepper flakes for the hot sauce, chives for the green onion, and part Chinese oyster sauce for the fish sauce. Apparently this kim chee is quite hot: 1/4 cup hot pepper flakes for one head of cabbage! (I cut way back.)

My daughter spent 18 months teaching English in Korea. Speaking of vegetarian foods, she said that, in addition to kim chee, tofu was a regular part of the diet.

Jeanne
Old 06-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #182
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Maggie, don't worry about those "simple offerings." (And you are being too modest).

Just sit by the campfire with your feet up, and I'll be happily cook up a storm for you. I love stuffing people.

I am working on that cookbook. I may even do some recipe experimentation on my next trip, then invite my fellow campers for a taste test.
Some of us aren't tooo far from you. Maybe some kind of AS rally based on what you can cook in an AS, or in a campfire? I've never been to a rally, but one within a day's drive based on camp cooking would be attractive.

Our Bambi has two burners only, no oven, microwave or discernable counter space; so I have to either scale way back on the cooking, bring foods prepared at home, or do outdoor grilling.

Our last camping trip included lemon-marinated shrimp and fresh asparagus, cooked in a hinged grill (so the little rascals don't fall out) over driftwood campfire coals. Served with dry champaign, I thought it was a "keeper."

Speaking of which, I learned late in life that grilling asparagus is about the best way to cook it-- unless you've got some hollandaise sauce on the go! Just brush w/ oil & sprinkle w/ salt and pepper. Or make a marinade with oil, lemon juice, grated lemon rind, and a sprinkle of lemon thyme if you've got any in the garden. Brush it on. The asparagus needs just a moment on each side: till just tender and lightly browned.

Jeanne