Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #155
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
It's tough to find quality food on the road if you are accustomed to having it outside your door. Take advantage of being near Las Vegas and hit the Whole Foods in Henderson about 20 minutes from Lake Mead. The Trader Joes is also in Henderson. As for apps, there are a few farmers market locators but I haven't successfully tried them. If you enjoy public works projects, don't miss Hoover Dam! Enjoy!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The Whole Foods website is amazing.

Lots of recipes and nutritional advice.

Vegetarian | Whole Foods Market

Old 03-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #157
2 Rivet Member

1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Inland , Washington
A cool meal to split between veg's and meater's is enchiladas. I have a recipe that uses 2 cans cream of mushroom soup and 1 can water for each bag of tortillas and a can of green chilis and a can of olives as the base. For the veggie half, saute a portabella mushroom and some asparagus. For the meat half, saute some cut up chicken. All the other ingredients are the same. Wrap up the tortillas with the base, some sharp cheddar cheese, and either the veggie or meat stuff. Cover the top with remaining base and cheese and bake for about 30 min at 350 (cover with foil if you don't like them crispy). It's easy for camping because there are only two dishes: the saute/base dish and the baking dish (or two if you don't want to mix meat/veggie enchiladas).
Old 03-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Some stores carry red and green enchilada sauce in packets, which is really excellent and takes up little space on the road.

Instead of rolling up enchiladas, we layer the ingredients in a casserole dish (or the DO) and bake it. A favorite of ours is just black beans, maybe chicken.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Always read the Mexican recipes with interest because it is really hard to find a good Mexican restaurant in Canada. We have Taco Bell, but they are few and far between, and not that good.

I've never tasted authentic Mexican until my Mexican vet invited me over for dinner. Was treated to fresh salsa, chicken mole, empanadas, and, of course, those wonderful Margaritas!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I said "packets" when I really meant "pouches". A sauce, not an add-water item.

Tastes very authentic, we love it,

We layer and bake corn tortillas, black beans, corn, queso, etc., as for lasagna. So yummy, and reheats well.

Mggie
Old 03-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #161
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Although we're not vegetarians we enjoy a lot of ovo-lacto vegetarian meals. I think the best way to transition is to find food that has a long tradition of vegetarian dishes that taste great. Mexican beans 'n' corn or rice for sure, but try Indian (Hindu) dals & curries or Near East pita with bean dips, salads, and tahini-based sauces.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Somewhere , Mostly California
Love this thread and thanks for all the ideas! I've been a vegetarian for 10 years and one year in the Airstream. There are so many great dishes we have nightly without meat. My omnivore husband is fine with this because he's totally satisfied and in fact cooks a lot of our meals himself. If anyone wants any of my recipes please let me know. We are darned good Airstream cooks and nobody even realizes there is no meat til we tell them. We do eat fish and dairy, so I guess we are cheaters, but anyone starting out, I can give you some help. The cleanup is great because there is no burned flesh sticking to the pan which uses lots of water. Plus we know we are making the compassionate choice.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #163
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendywoods
Love this thread and thanks for all the ideas! I've been a vegetarian for 10 years and one year in the Airstream. There are so many great dishes we have nightly without meat. My omnivore husband is fine with this because he's totally satisfied and in fact cooks a lot of our meals himself. If anyone wants any of my recipes please let me know. We are darned good Airstream cooks and nobody even realizes there is no meat til we tell them. We do eat fish and dairy, so I guess we are cheaters, but anyone starting out, I can give you some help. The cleanup is great because there is no burned flesh sticking to the pan which uses lots of water. Plus we know we are making the compassionate choice.
I would like recipes
Old 03-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #164
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Me too!

We aren't vegans by any stretch, but we mainly flavor with meat sometimes and love veggies/fruits. Now, if we come across some wonderful baby back ribs or fresh fish in, say, Florida, those would be hard to resist for us. But on an ordinary day, I think of us as transitioning.

Thanks.

Deb
Old 03-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #165
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Is this the poster boy for vegetarianism......
or a compost heap?

Old 03-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Always read the Mexican recipes with interest because it is really hard to find a good Mexican restaurant in Canada. We have Taco Bell, but they are few and far between, and not that good.
When we are in Canada and we are desperate for Mexican food, we try to look at it as "Mexican influenced" so we won't be disappointed (that doesn't always work). Actually Taco Bell, for a fast food outfit, is not all that bad for a basic bean burrito. However, I am rarely that desperate. I think other than Mexican food, Canada generally has better restaurant fare than the US and we have found good Chinese restaurants is very remote areas of the northern part of Canada.

The "poster boy" is frightening—I look forward to seeing him in a late night horror movie.

If you go to Haines, Alaska, there was a very good Mexican restaurant there in 2010. And in Skagway there was a very good Thai restaurant that year. In North Pole, Alaska, there was a very good Chinese restaurant. All these are good for veggie meals. Homer had a very good restaurant with natural and organic meals (can't remember the name). When we first went to Alaska in 2002, it was not only hard to find a ethnic restaurant or any veggie food, finding a salad was difficult. Things changed rapidly in 8 years.

Gene
Old 03-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #167
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Ok recipes! Feel free to give me feedback if you try them. First, I wanted to say that if you can find Quorm, a brand name next to the Morningstar Farms and other soy products, buy it. They make Quorm meatballs, chicken nuggets, "ground beef" and other meat-like products that go perfectly in any recipe that calls for meat. The reason they taste so much better is that they're basically mushroom-type proteins, not soy, and so much more flavorful. We love the meatballs in tomato sauce just like your basic Bolognese sauce. We love the nuggets in a stir fry with fresh sliced vegetables like bok choy, carrots, pea pods, etc, and a good asian stir fry sauce (spiked with some thai chili sauce!). The grounds are fantastic in my "Hamburger" macaroni casserole (recipe follows). Well, you get the picture. Secondly, wherever we are we go for farmer's markets and shape that week's recipes around the vegetables that are in season. For instance this week we pickup up baby bok choy and will have that stir fry, mentioned above. We also got some fresh Chinese broccoli so will boil that up in salted water and serve alongside macaroni and cheese. There was a baker selling foccacia bread, so we pickup up one and topped it with grilled mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes, along with a salad of lettuce and fresh pepper with a dressing of olive oil and Kosher salt! Yum. There is burger night where we grill portabellos topped with cheese, served on fresh rolls with the usual burger toppings, lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, mayonnaise, etc. along with coleslaw made from a bag of shredded cabbage and coleslaw dressing out of a jar, and oven fries (the Airstream oven's "grill" setting works well). There's a spinach and new potato frittata for brunch or dinner, served with fresh steamed veggies or a beet/candied walnut/gorgonzolla crumble salad. A great store for vegetarian items is Trader Joe's - their frozen rice mixes make great starters for adding Quorm and fresh veggies for a quick ricey jambalaya/melange. Then there is Mexican quesadillas topped with vegetarian refried beans, jalapenos and mexican shredded cheese, served with sliced avocado (or guacamole) and salsa. Who needs meat?
Old 03-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #168
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
"Hamburger" Macaroni Casserole

Serves 6. Cut recipe in half for two people.

1 1/2 cups macaroni
1 medium onion chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
Several tablespoons vegetable oil
12 oz. Quorm crumbles, or Morningstar, or chopped seitan if you can find it
1/2 cup whole kernal corn
1 can tomato soup
salt, pepper and garlic powder and cayenne powder to taste
Optional: 1 small can french fried onions, crumbled to crumbs

- Cook the macaroni, drain, pour into a large bowl
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- In a skillet brown the thawed Quorm in oil over high heat til it browns. Add to macaroni bowl.
- Saute the onion and green pepper in small amount of oil til tender
- Add these to the macaroni, along with the corn, soup, salt, pepper, and dash of cayenne. Stir to combine. If slightly dry add a little water to make it moist.
- Pour into an oven-proof pan or baking dish, top with French fried onions.
- Bake for 15 minutes or til the onions are lightly browned.
- Offer up hot sauce or Bragg's Aminos for flavoring if needed.

I have served this with a green salad, sliced cucumbers and tomatoes in a light vinagrette, etc.