Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The Sweet Tooth Thread

There's something about a road trip and sweet things that go so well together. Driving can be tiring. A sweet little munch along the way can boost that flagging blood sugar.

These Rice Krispie "sushi" squares are great because they pack and travel well and last a long time without going stale. (seal in a Ziploc bag to keep them on the soft side). They are also gluten-free (if that is your thing). There is a bit of nutrition in the Rice Krispies too. They are also a real novelty - would be a great thing to take to a rally potluck.

They look complicated but they aren't. All I did was make the traditional Rice Krispie square recipe you see on the box. I then added some grated candied ginger to give it some Asian/Japanese flair. (Ginger is also good for motion sickness). Then I rolled it out to a sheet and laid some green-coloured fruit rollups on top for the "nori." I then placed the filler ingredients down one edge, rolled it, and sliced into these two-bite rounds. This is a "California Roll." The "crab" is marshmallow, the "avocado" is a green jelly, and the "sweet potato" is a lemon jelly.

Do you have a sweet road-trip recipe you would like to share?

Old 07-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Nothing like a good s'more with melted chocolate inside. The kids love them. I can only eat about two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2427323953.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	164112  

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Smoky Mountain Bearstreaming

2012 30' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Biscuits or cinnamon rolls cooked over the fire on a fowl rod it always fun. I like to squirt butter or jelly through the pig tail shape when it comes off. Crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.
kcashut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
The Sweet Tooth

One of my regular potluck contributions is a Mount St. Helen's Cake . . . my friends often call it "the cake of chocolate death" . . . . I carry a special heavy duty tray to act as a cake plate for this concoction. The construction proceeds as follows:
  • Prepare two 9" x !3" Chocolate Fudge Cakes utilizing your favorite boxed mix.
  • While the prepared layers are cooling on wire racks, prepare the filling.
    • In a large mixer bowl, combine the following and mix until smooth and spreadable:
      • 1-pound of Philadelphia Cream Cheese
      • 2-envelopes Jello Milk Chocolate Instant Pudding
      • 1-stick un-salted butter
      • Approximately 1.5 to 2.0 pounds of powdered (Confectioners) sugar (enough to make the filling "spreadable").
      • If the filling becomes too thick, add up to 1/4-cup heavy cream.
    • Place bottom layer on heavy duty cake pan, and spread filling evenly across the bottom layer of the cake.
      • Sprinkle 8-ounces of Hershey's Milk Chocolate Chips across the filling.
      • Sprinkle 8-ounces of Kraft Miniature Marshmallows across filling.
    • Place top layer onto bottom layer.
      • Utilizing your favorite Seven-Minute Frosting recipe, make a double batch using twice the number of egg-whites specified.
      • Spread the Seven-Minute frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
        • Sprinke 8-ounces of Hershey's Milk Chocolate Chips on top of the cake.
        • Sprinkle 8-ounces of Kraft Miniature Marshmallows on top of the cake.
    • Note that the top layer of this cake may split if the cake is assembled whil still warm . . . this is not a bad thing as it is how the cake earned its name . . . it begins splitting near the center creating a fisure that resembles a "land-silde" that might accompany a volcanic erruption.
  • This cake is very rich, and has been known to serve groups of up to 50 chocolate lovers . . .
Kevin
P.S.: An addition that I sometimes make with this cake is to prepare my favorite home-made French Vanilla Ice Cream to serve alongside the cake . . .
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote