Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #41
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
And the military stove:

Attachment 175771
Rich,

I was looking back at this and guess what? I picked up a Rogers, Akron OH M1950 with case/can last year. A minor bit of tinkering and whoosh we got heat. And it has 3 generators. what a unique little stove.

Pappy19 thanks for showing me the Coleman forum, great bunch of folks. What's your screen name over there?

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It's a cool stove, although a single speed......hot! I am missing the pot case. If you see anothet, let me know.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #43
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Copy that, single speed! But what a cool watch me light this thing show and tell.

My can had food left in it for a long time AFAIK and the top has pitted holes but bottom looks possible use.

Gotta try rigging a raise v lower against the pot for heat control.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 07-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I have an ancient Coleman that has the cylindrical copper tank and the folding legs that also lock the lid shut when in storage. Works like a charm. My hiking stove is an Optimus 111 that will burn anything from wood alcohol to jet fuel.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The best stove I have ever used is an MSR Dragonfly. It is the only one that I know of that you can truly simmer and use as a blow torch.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 01:12 PM   #46
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
The Coleman Stoves live on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
I have an ancient Coleman that has the cylindrical copper tank and the folding legs that also lock the lid shut when in storage. Works like a charm. My hiking stove is an Optimus 111 that will burn anything from wood alcohol to jet fuel.

Coleman Stoves live on...great old thread! We were out browsing yard sales a few weeks ago and found this gem up for grabs. It looks very similar to what you describe in your post. Bronze painted cylindrical steel tank, folding legs with locking brackets at the front corners and folding wind baffles attached to the cover. The stove body is steel, painted in that familiar Coleman green. It's marked "Coleman 425".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman 425 V2 Stove.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	435404

The 425 Series was manufactured from 1948-1999 ending with 425 F. The second model in the 425 stove series is a 425 B. It was in production @1954-1961 (there wasn't a 425 A). The 425 B changed the style and shape of the fuel tank and in 1958 the color went from Bronze to the more familiar danger themed Red. Gary GCinSC2 talked about his 425 E model with a date code of 771 aka July 1971. The 425 E was produced from @1967-1981. Unlike his stove with dates stamped in the fuel tank tabs, the 425 is undated and only branded with a Coleman sticker on the inside of the cook top lid. Near the carrying handle, the steel casing bears two lines of raised lettering, "Coleman 425"-"Wichita, Kansas".

From my research the Coleman 425 is a two burner stove that came out in 1948. Production ran through @1953. There were 3 variations to this first model in the 425 series. The earliest versions included different paint colors of the fuel tank. Brown was first and a short time later Bronze became the permanent color for the 425 tank.

The 425 stove has supporting legs which serve double duty functioning as a stand for cooking, and after folding they rotate around to secure the lid closed for storage. Early 1st and 2nd versions had an external bracket at the front bottom corners where the wire leg secured in a detent for the cooking position. The 3rd version of the 425 used a internal bracket that was riveted to the interior of the stove base to lock the legs in the use or store position.

Based upon all this info, the yard sale find appears to be a Coleman 425 version 2 because of tank color and leg bracket location. That means it was built sometime between 1948-1953. With three versions over 5 years, I'd guess V2 in the middle and narrow it up to about 1950ish.

History and all the facts are interesting, but here's the best part - As others have said already in this thread, I find Coleman liquid fuel lanterns and stoves fun to use and they fall right in with our AirStream Traveling and Camping. From lighting needs to cooking or the late night corn-hole challenges, it's pretty neat to light up and use them while on the road or out for that long weekend. As tech development continues it's advances, there will always be other ways to do the same things, but how cool is it to use the "older" vintage stuff? It can be challenging and it's not for everyone, but it works for us.

Oh, what about the stove? Does it work?

Fuel cap needed a new seal. The old seal was dry and didn't hold pressure in the tank. Fuel tank needed to be flushed to remove light rust and debris. Valve stem packing nut needed to be tightened to stop a slight fuel weep. Pump cup leather was in good shape but needed to be oiled for building pressure in the fuel tank. Years of debris from critters using it as a dining room needed to be blown out of the stove case. Added fresh fuel and applied flame.

After pumping pressure in to the fuel tank, turning the lighting lever to the up position, I cracked open the main fuel valve. The 73 year old stove started that familiar sound of fuel rushing under pressure to the burners. I applied open flame to the main burner. "Houston" we have ignition! Flames started with some yellow and danced above the burner. The flames began building more heat and the low roar of the burner increased as the liquid fuel was heated and transformed into a gas vapor. As heat built up, the burner settled into those beautiful blue flames we're familiar with to concentrate heat on a pan of the chef's choice. Only I'm not cooking, just running the stove so it can stretch out it's legs and run for a bit after being stored for so long.

This 425 model stove is a survivor. Its got a lot of good working life left in it, even though it's 73 years old. We'll be cooking some bacon in the cast iron with that stove, and telling our neighbor about the "73 year old Coleman". Might even have to light up a 60 year old Coleman Lantern to see better in the dawns early light. Careful though, the light may show the wear and tear on that "Old Coleman Stove". Not all of them survive. Some are just beyond a restore. I guess that makes them sorta like an old AirStream. Good bones, parts, time, lots of cleaning and some stoves can be revived to become vintage classics.

This one has been fun! It'll be a conversation starter for sure. just like our AirStream.
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 01:30 PM   #47
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Tom

Congrats on finding it fixing it and keeping it alive. A worthy addition to Airstreaming.

Now about the cast iron pan and bacon money shot!

Gary