Old 06-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Coleman made a couple aluminum stoves back in the 60's. They had a bare alum case and red painted side wings and a red tank. I have always wanted one of those.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Here's a pic of one

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/s...php?tid/17585/

Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #17
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
This has been fun.

What I tried to post as an overanalytical attempt at repairing and take a shot at myself was my own stubborness trying to fix what wasn't broken. We seem to have a lot of common threads to great memories and looks like this is one of them. I have never seen an aluminum Coleman stove until today, thanks.

What will this weekend hold, 4th of July, alright! Something is going to be cooked in the back yard, menu unplanned.

Now if I could get the same results with my Dometic fridge, wow! Thats another chapter unfolding this week.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:59 AM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I recall seeing one of the aluminum stove in use years ago in a campground along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Family from Canada that was tent camping across the USA had it.

Might have to hunt one down and add it to the collection...just because. I seem to recall they had a matching cooler too.

The old Coleman stuff was good equipment and repair parts were quite often as close as you local hardware store. Unfortunately that is a thing of the past...both the repair parts AND the hardware store.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I bought mine new in 1957. Still works fine but the newer propane appliances are more packable and lighter. Once in a while I like to go retro and take it along with my 2 vintage lanterns, one pre 1920, 1928 and the one that I bought with the stove in 1957.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The old lanterns and stoves have that retro coolness but they are also responsible for a substantial number of fires and burns. I still have mine but rarely use it.

When I was in my 20s I used an MSR stove on my backpacking trips. Similar technology but much lighter weight.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The old lanterns and stoves have that retro coolness but they are also responsible for a substantial number of fires and burns. I still have mine but rarely use it.

When I was in my 20s I used an MSR stove on my backpacking trips. Similar technology but much lighter weight.
Guess what the number one injury was at BSA camp one year...Frost burn from LP. There were multiple cases and it wasn't just the boys.

Every fuel source has it's good points and bad points. I have a variety of stoves that burn every thing from pine cones to alcohol. They all need to be treated with respect and handled properly and safely. The alternative is to eat raw food (not a bad thing when it comes to sushi)

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Not Cooking, but it's Coleman

I have a need for a strong outdoor light this week and I thought I'd drag out the 1978 vintage Coleman twin mantle lamp. Having learned from firing up the old stove, first dump out old fuel that has been in there since early 90's ?? WHAT it is still holding pressure! Fresh fuel, one new mantle from a bag that sold 2 for $0.59 today I got a bag of 4 for about $3. Toasted the mantle, pressurized it and sputter sputter L I G H T !

I just had to take it outside by the trailer and wow, that bright light the hissing lamp, the clanging glass globe when you carry it. The picture was taken w/o flash, just the Coleman. It lit things up way better than the picture shows.

Tip 'o the Hat to Coleman two 70's vintage products just doing their jobs. I think the lantern will at least see some honorary campout duties and get one or two more scratches on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080144.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	175739  
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I've got a green, red-tank coleman 2-burner that I bought in '80 or so, used the heck out of it on 2 4-month adventures in my '71 VW van, and it still fired right up on old fuel when I tried it this summer! Amazing quality and simplicity!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The performance is one thing . . the sound of camping is the barest hiss of a COLEMAN appliance running in the background. Nothing you notice till it's missing ("lights out, boys"), or that coffee will soon be ready in the early a.m.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #25
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
I've got a green, red-tank coleman 2-burner that I bought in '80 or so, used the heck out of it on 2 4-month adventures in my '71 VW van............!

Mmmm----those were the days, my friend.

Still a lot of those VW vans out there. Love them.

Maggie
Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
The performance is one thing . . the sound of camping is the barest hiss of a COLEMAN appliance running in the background. Nothing you notice till it's missing ("lights out, boys"), or that coffee will soon be ready in the early a.m.

Absolutely right on the money Rednax! Anywhere we camp that is slightly remote we pull out the old Coleman for the full camping feeling (sound). They like the trailer were built to last.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have a bunch of Coleman gas products, but 3 of them are special.

I have a 1962 dual burner green stove which was bought by my uncle, who answered President Kennedy's call to the Peace Corp. He cooked his meals every day for 2 years in Ethiopa while using his Engineering Degree to build roads and water systems. The Stove is, and has been used by me and my family on EVERY camping trip since 1984. It is very special to me.

I have a circa 1974 two mantel lantern (with the large reflector lid). I don't use it too much anymore, due to space.

My third special one is actually a Rodgers single burner military stove circa 1950. It was built under license from Coleman for the military and still works well. However, it is either full on or off, so cooking can be a challenge. It is missing the cylindrical storage container, which doubled for a pot. Anybody know where I might find one?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
You Guys and Gals are right on. I heard that old gem hissin' and it brought back memories of my early BSA camping days, fishing on ponds, the hissing last night on that rainy foggy dark night was a sign of good times.

Rich, those 3 "specials" need pic's.

Thanks All.

S/OS #001