Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
That is exactly what I was thinking. Awesome.
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I always thought I might set up a bracket for my old Force10 bbq that I saved from my old sailboat. Seems like the perfect portable grill.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote from above: "This is what I have been using for 6 years.
Solaire Anywhere Portable Grill -- uses infrared to cook fast : www.solairegrills.com"

I have heard a lot about IR grills, including that you cannot turn your back on it when grilling, lest you want to eat charcoal. The idea sounds intriguing, however, I am hesitant to try it. Any comments?
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Keep it Simple

I have a Weber Q 200 which is the same as the 100 only a tad larger and also a little heavier. I really like the grill but don't like the weight. I carry it in the bed of the truck in the cover it came with and place it on a table if provided or will use our fold up metal table we take everywhere.

I don't like to have to bring along a bunch of "stuff" when I camp. We use the small propane bottles rather than having to bring along an extra propane tank with the hoses. The grill stand mentioned earlier looks like a great idea but then I would have to carry one of these around and quite often the rear end of my truck is not always in the best spot for cooking. I try very hard to "keep it simple" when I am out on the road.

I have seen folks bring their entire BBQ set ups from home complete with the rolling cart. I have the room but do I really want to create more hassle? I like charcoal over gas but then, I would have to pack the charcoal and figure out how to dispose of the ash, which isn't really that big of a problem when you are camping.

Choosing a BBQ is one of those things that will be challenging. They all have their benefits and their problems.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
I want the bracket to be a bit more compact than what is shown and for it to be pinned into position behind the bottles. Arrive, pull a couple pins to to position it and repin, set little stainless grill on mount and be done.

I hate think of carrying a bunch of stuff, but don't know if we will survive without the ability to grill with ease. What other kind of food is there? MRE's.
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by padillab View Post
Quote from above: "This is what I have been using for 6 years.
Solaire Anywhere Portable Grill -- uses infrared to cook fast : www.solairegrills.com"

I have heard a lot about IR grills, including that you cannot turn your back on it when grilling, lest you want to eat charcoal. The idea sounds intriguing, however, I am hesitant to try it. Any comments?
It cooks so fast and so completely that you won't have time to turn your back. Blink twice and it's done!!!!

Actually, it does take a few burned steaks or very well done burgers to get used to the cooking speed, but once you master the technique....it's AWESOME!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Sounds good. Might have to try one out.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
We use a coleman round partygrill

- We carry a round Coleman PartyGrill (propane) from Cabelas, Bass Pro or Target, about 60 bucks. We sometimes use the campground grill using wood, cooking with embers. Yep, we support local eats...foodies.
- We use disposable cylinders, but just started trying to refill these ( 1/2 full) We store the disposable cylinders just forward and between our two main tanks in the propane compartment of our AS.
We do have a 6' hose with no problems.
- The ash remains in the fire ring.
- Our grill does have legs that snap in place and we place our partygrill on a little folding table, or put it on the picnic table at our campsite.
- The Coleman comes with a bag, all parts fit within the grill and cover, it fits in the truck bed.
-Easy cleanup, 1/4 twist and the lower portion comes off and wipes clean easily. Grill too...
- We usually set the grill up on the picnic table or our folding table.
- We are on our second grill, cooking on it for over 5 years.
- Cooks our steaks and Pollo Asado, chicken perfectly.
-Grill is not Wind resistant as the sides are very close to the grill height. We did add a domed cover some time back (thrift store stainless cake cover) to add some smoke, heat to the cooking.
- No cold spots but the center section can get hot, I like to stay with the grill.
- The Coleman round PartyGrill only cooks for the four.
One last point is that with the cooking grill off, you have a nice single burner stove.
Works for us, versitle and along with the extending forks, basket and grill we carry for campfire cooking, meets our needs.
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Less expensive Weber Qs and very expensive Solaires are equally good (or bad), depending on the skill of the cook. Too much heat and you scorch. Too little heat and you stick and don't caramelize. The best grill is really about great ingredients and great culinary technique. And practice. So I'd say, choose one that you'll use often at home to give you great results on the road. It's all about practicing your craft. "Oh no! Not the grilled Muscovy duck breast with mango chutney again."
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
We use a Solaire infra red grill. It is made of heavy duty Stainless Steel and works like a dream. We set it up on a small fold up alum. table just outside the door next to the awning arm. I have a 12' propane hose that I connect to one of the trailer tanks. If in a hurry it will also use the small disposable propane tanks. Cooking times are very quick. It comes with a really nice heavy duty carrying bad. These were developed for the boating industry. It is pricey but worth it (my opinion).
Attached Images

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Beef Back Ribs
Sear-in Side 1 Hi -- 2 min
Sear-in Side 2 Hi -- 2 min
Finish Side 1 MED-LOW -- 3 min
Finish Side 2 MED-LOW -- 3 min

Place ribs and marinade in Ziploc bag. Marinate overnight.
Brush on your favorite BBQ sauce at the end of the cooking time.

Here’s an incredibly stupid recipe taken from the Solaire website. Ten minutes for beef ribs? Your dog couldn’t chew them. The folks at Solaire make a grill of high quality components but don’t listen to them about how to use it. They should take lessons from Memphis’ Rendezvous Restaurant, famous for slowly grilling ribs over direct heat. (Kansas City BBQers shake their heads in dismay at grilling ribs. But that's another story.) Again, a $500 grill won't get you very far. The guy next door with a bag of lump charcoal and an inexpensive grill is going to win the prizes for great food with good technique and great ingredients.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote