Old 04-20-2010, 05:12 AM   #15
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
What about using slow cookers in bear country?

I would be afraid Smokey or Yogi might come on by and open up my Airstream like a tin can for a little picinicsnack...
Funny! I had that same concern in gator country!

We like to put ours out on the picnic table, so that the odors of pot roast, etc., don't permeate and adhere to everything inside. The only critters the crockpot drew were feral cats.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
I have a Presto Kitchen Kettle that I use at home. I have two other crock-pots but I always seem to grab this one so it must be my favorite. I do not have all the accessories as mine was a hand-me-down. Just the pot, lid, crock and cord.

This would be a great choice for camping as it is a multi-use utensil. You can use it with the crock as a slow cooker. Without the crock it is like an electric skillet; you can brown meat or scramble eggs in it.
It also comes with baskets that allow you to steam or fry(if your into that sort of thing)

You can also wash the pot with the same ease as an electric skillet.
It takes up less space than a standard crock-pot of similar capacity as it is not insulated.

The minuses would be:
The electric skillet cord with dial controls.
It is not insulated. The pot is the heat source so there is no cool surface like a regular crock-pot.
Attached Images

Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:30 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Maybe they don't come with the crock any more.
It hasn't been too many years that I was looking to purchase a shiny new replacement at Walmart and they had the crock then. The current photo and description does not list the crock.

Guess if you wanted one like mine you would have to go the yard sale route.
I have seen several in my travels.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
I would ditto the Reynolds crockpot liner suggestion. The bags are quite large so I will cut one up the middle and tuck the corner into my smallish crockpot....two for the price of one! Cleanup is painless.

pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #19
Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up Surprise Her

You might consider a small electric skillet along with the crock pot. After full-timing for the last 6 years, my wife has never had propane burners on the cooktop lit. She uses the electric skillet and an electric burner like the chefs on TV use. Space for a cooktop and oven is wasted in our unit, but the convection microwave gets a work out. I do a lot of cooking in the smoker and the propane grill outside too.
A Man has got know his limitations-Dirty Harry
That's Some Bad Hat Harry-Jaws 1978
kmpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Interesting take.

As for me cooking... LOL

I can bake a chicken, BBQ anything, guard a crock pot and fry an egg, but other than that, I don't cook. I love doing things for her, especially outdoors, but cooking isn't one of them.

Oh, I forgot.... I make a great peanut butter sandwich. ;>) When we spend a couple of weeks on our boat, she packs a great menu, I just make sure we have a fresh jar of peanut butter and crackers onboard. ;>)
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
All of you folks have given me some great ideas to think about. I am really beginning to like this community.

Thanks for being easy on this rookie.
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #22
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
A slow cooker is an alternative to having something in the oven. The advantages are that it frees up the oven for other purposes (or, equivalently, can be used in places where there is no oven available), it doesn't heat up the kitchen as much, and is somewhat more convenient to access for the addition of ingredients, stirring, etc.

Old-time "roasters," staple of the family reunion and church picnic, are the same as slow cookers, only bigger and with a metal insert instead of a ceramic one.

When an oven is available, a glass or ceramic cooking dish of suitable size, with a lid, does the same thing. In general, an oven will heat more evenly than a slow cooker.

For some uses you can substitute a double boiler on a stovetop. Also, a double boiler in the oven can be used, when the oven must be at a higher temperature because of something else in it. If you're trying to make stew on a Coleman stove, for example, a double boiler would be the way to do it.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Originally Posted by Gator113244 View Post
I want to surprise my bride. What kind of slow cookers do you use when camping and why? Gas, electric? Size? Brand?

She has a couple large ones around here, but they seem too large and heavy.

When it comes to my bride of 38 wonderful years, money is never an object.
What did you end up with?
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
We use the Presto Kitchen Kettle too, steam, boil, fry, makes popcorn, and we use it at home and grab it when we go camping. Just the other day, (we are on vacation) I made a pot of meat sauce for penne', kept it turned down low and it simmered for a about 5-6 hours. Don't know that I would leave any appliance on inside while away, but for the versatility, price, I think the Presto is the way to go. Check out

Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote