Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #1

2007 25' International CCD FB
Columbus , Ohio
Simple and good lasagna recipes/ideas?

Has anyone done lasagna in their Airstream oven? We like to use our trailer oven and are looking for a simple lasagna (probably using no boil noodles) that is saucy, cheesy, and good. I haven't had much luck with lasagna at home, but sometimes it sounds really good when camping along with the essentials, wine, salad, bread (especially as the weather gets cooler). Any ideas are appreciated. No dietary limitations, love beef, sausage, or veggie. Thanks
yakgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Artichoke heart lasagna.... Not to simple but very good...

I do most of my prep work before I leave and freeze it. Do this with a lot of foods...

2 cans 14 oz artichoke hearts
8 oz lasagna
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups grated parmesan
(or what ever cheese you like and you can put in more or less)

The sauce

1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp white peper
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
1 cup milk
2 tbsp grated onion (fresh)
1 tsp salt
Butter in frying pan, brown onions and add rest bring to an almost boil and let stand

Filling

2 cups Cottage cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
Mix in blender for 5 min. then put in eggs and cheese

Mix sauce and filling together and bring to boil...

the it goes in this order

1. Noodle
2. Filling
3. 1/2 the artichokes
4. 1/2 the cheese

Repeat...
or reduce to 1/3 and have 3 layers
Bake 350 for 35-40 minutes..

It is so good.....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakgirl View Post
Has anyone done lasagna in their Airstream oven?...
hi yakgirl and welcome to the forums...

there were about 45 versions at THIS rally, including a competition and winner...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ast-32154.html

u can read about it and look at pics, several members posted flickr albums near the end...

it was the MOST lasg' i've ever seen in one place...

but the smells are only memories....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
start simple, get the ronzoni no boil noodles and use the recipe on the box. make extra and freeze it. i've done the boil noodles but it adds a lot to the production.

i find that reheated lasagna sets up rather nicely without all the runny sauce. foil pans are helpful too.

i am available for taste testing!

p.s. if you want recipes, go here:
http://www.filesavr.com/sherrisrecipes
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:27 AM   #5

2007 25' International CCD FB
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks for the recipes and the welcome. Love Airstreaming. Best thing we have ever done. -Kim
yakgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I would suggest that you make your lasagna at home prior to the trip, divide it into portions, freeze them, and take along in the Airstream freezer. Remove what you want for a meal earlier in the day to thaw, and warm in the oven. I just made a batch this weekend. I use no recipe, just a sense of what makes delicious lasagna. I only make big batches to serve our big family at holiday or weekends when the sons and daughters and their families come for the day. I begin by browning a big family size pack of lean ground beef in a large deep skillet. While that is browning, in a large mixing bowl, I stir together 2 large containers of ricotta cheese, 2-3 eggs, seasonings such as garlic, oregano, basil, salt, Old Bay, pepper-generously for a flavorful dish. After pouring off any fat from the browned beef, I add 2-3 26 oz (or one supersized jar) of your favorite tomato sauce (we use Prego) and stir the beef and sauce together well. I open one pack of oven-ready lasagna noodles and also one large container of grated Italian cheese mix (your favorite cheeses could be used here). I spray a large lasagna pan (deep sided) with cooking spray or use olive oil. Beginning with a cup or two of the meat mixture, I spread this over the bottom of the pan. Next I layer 3-4 of the noodles, not overlapping because they swell with cooking. Next comes a layer of the ricotta cheese mix, topped by a generous sprinkling of the Italian cheeses. I repeat these layers two more times, topping all with a spreading of any meat mixture left or just the Prego sauce and some more grated cheese. This is whopping heavy to lift when done so be careful putting it in the oven. I cover the dish before baking with aluminum (!) foil, and bake it about an hour at 375 degrees. I remove the foil for the last 15-20 minutes for the topping to lightly brown. I like to let it stand to set up, then maybe give it a rewarming. It stands in serving portions better if made ahead, refrigerated, and served the next day. This is a rich lasagna in flavor and cost of ingredients, but oh, so pleasing. We serve our big family and usually have a left-overs meal to enjoy ourselves. Best wishes if you try our favorite Lasagna dish! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Here's a favorite that's a little different. It is from The Best of Bridge cookbooks:

Seafood Lasagne (Aunty Pasto's)

Ingredients:
8 Lasagne noodles
2 Tbsp. butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 - 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups creamed cottage cheese
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp.chopped basil or 2 tsp. dried
salt and pepper to taste
2 - 10 oz. cans cream of mushroom soup
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 - 5 oz. can crab
1 lb. shelled deveined cooked shrimp
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

Instructions:
Cook noodles according to package directions. Place 4 in 9" X 13" pan. Cook onion in butter. Add cream cheese, cottage cheese, egg, basil, and salt and pepper.
Spread 1/2 mixture over noodles. Combine soup, milk and wine. Stir in crab and shrimp. Spoon 1/2 mixture over cheese layer. Repeat all layers. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake, uncovered at 350F. for 45 minutes. Top with cheddar cheese, brown under broiler and let stand for at least 15 minutes before serving.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote