Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #41
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Diane,

I was going to say that, if you knew Sherri, she was probably one of the most organized people I knew, which is why she always kept the books...I really had to play catch-up on that one! In a way, though, you do know Sherri; all of you do. You're looking at her, when you look at her Cookbook. She organized it so that it made sense, and in a lot of ways I feel it is better organized than most other cookbooks, aside from Betty Crocker's.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-14-2005, 10:30 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I am really intregued now. Could somebody email me the zip file to tim@archnevada.com?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 09-15-2005, 03:57 AM   #43
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Wink Done Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
I am really intregued now. Could somebody email me the zip file to tim@archnevada.com?
Buttercup,
Check your mail

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
Old 09-15-2005, 06:22 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Frederic,

what a great idea to spread your wifes cookbook over the forums. It would be a honor for us to receive a copy of the cookbook and to spread it over Europe to remember her.

Please, please email us a copy to bjoern@theoldeurope.com.

All the best for you and your family!!

Stefanie and Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Old 09-15-2005, 09:25 AM   #45
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
So now the cookbook is on its way to Europe...Stefanie and Bjoern, let me know if you got the file intact. Sherri, if you couldn't tell from the picture below, was half Asian, Korean to be precise. What you can't tell, though, is that she was also half Norwegian...Her great grandfather came over from Norway and settled in Minnesota. In fact, one of her ancestors was traced back to being a crewmember on Eric the Red's ship....interesting tidbit of knowledge.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-15-2005, 09:42 AM   #46
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I just tried to edit my message below, but it took me so long to write (I was sharing a story about Sherri), that the stupid thing timed out and I lost my work! That is frustrating.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-15-2005, 09:47 AM   #47
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
I just tried to edit my message below, but it took me so long to write (I was sharing a story about Sherri), that the stupid thing timed out and I lost my work! That is frustrating.

Frederic
Frederic,

Sorry 'bout that. I think it's happened to all of us at one time or another. My suggestion is to use a text editor to compose a lengthy post, and then copy and paste it after you've written it. It's easy to save and retrieve later if you're interrupted, and you won't time out when posting.

Roger
Old 09-15-2005, 10:50 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Frederic,

thank you!!! ...and WOW, no - louder... WWWWOOOOOOWWWWW!!!! More than 3000 files, man are we lucky that we are heading for a 2 week holiday in Danmark on Sunday. I think we´ll have plenty of time to read all receipts and maybe we can try some out...

Again!! WOW!!!

Stefanie and Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Old 09-15-2005, 11:39 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Arrow Travelling well

Quote:
So now the cookbook is on its way to Europe...Stefanie and Bjoern, let me know if you got the file intact. Sherri, if you couldn't tell from the picture below, was half Asian, Korean to be precise. What you can't tell, though, is that she was also half Norwegian...Her great grandfather came over from Norway and settled in Minnesota. In fact, one of her ancestors was traced back to being a crewmember on Eric the Red's ship....interesting tidbit of knowledge.

Frederic
I've sent the book to Canada, as well, and MANY people have requested copies through the forum.

It's making the rounds at the Oregon State School for the Deaf, with my son Joe who teaches there, and he will send it on to the Colorado State School for the Deaf and Blind,and Rochester Technical Institute in New York.

This is Joe's FIRST cookbook, if you don't count the copy of the book 'Where's Mom Now That I need Her" that I sent him last week.
He was very impressed with our thread and community.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:55 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Sorry, GOTTA Say It...

Quote:
Sherri, if you couldn't tell from the picture below, was half Asian, Korean to be precise. What you can't tell, though, is that she was also half Norwegian...Her great grandfather came over from Norway and settled in Minnesota. In fact, one of her ancestors was traced back to being a crewmember on Eric the Red's ship....interesting tidbit of knowledge.

Frederic
You know how your Mom told you if you can't say something nice, don't say ANYTHING? Well I didn't listen :-)

I have the SAME situation here; my husband is Swedishm, and I am Heinz 57 German, French, Trailer Trash, whatever; but I ALWAYS say that there's HOPE for my children because they're only HALF-Swedes :-)

Go ahead, Scandinavians, YELL at me :-)
Old 09-15-2005, 12:10 PM   #51
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Stefanie and Bjoern,

I'm glad you like the cookbook, and I hope you saveur each meal you make with it. What I had wanted to say in my last post was that Sherri, when she was in the Army, was stationed in Darmstadt, from 1993 to 1995. It was in Germany that she learned to ski, in Garmisch on the Zugspitze...when she did something, she really went all the way. She was a very gifted and natural athlete.

When she was in high school, in Colorado Springs, Sherri was selected All-State for both softball and track. She went to the nationals for track, but twisted her knee, preventing her from going to the nationals for softball. She was also extremely gifted in mathematics, earning her an academic/athletic scholarship to Embry Riddle University. Sherri gave it up to stay near her parents. She attended UCCS, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs and majored in aeronautical engineering, before joining the Army in 1991.

When we were stationed in Colorado Springs, I encouraged Sherri to go back to college and finish her degree. She went back to UCCS and decided to change her major to computer science and minor in aeronautical engineering. She was taking a math class that worked with imaginary numbers, to which I asked her once, "Why the hell bother with them, if they're imaginary?!" She smiled and said nothing. Mathematically, she blew me out of the water....I barely got through Trigonometry.

When I got my orders for Monterey, CA, we had discussed the idea of Sherri staying in Colorado Springs, to finish her degree; she had one semester left. Sherri's take on the matter was that we were a family and as such, we were going to stay together, so off we went to Monterey...in hindsight, there's a reason for everything, because it was in California that Sherri discovered her breast cancer. We were in the best place, medically, for her health care, and she did indeed receive the best care.

This is just one of the many stories I wanted to share with you, so you could get to know Sherri better. This is also a good way for me to deal with her loss. More to follow.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-15-2005, 05:21 PM   #52
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I've been going through my photo album, and I found this really nice picture of Sherri, which I wanted to share with everyone. This picture was taken Christmas of 2003. She had a really great smile.

Frederic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherri3 Xmas 2003.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	14651  

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-16-2005, 02:55 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
dried persimmons

Quote:
Lamar, I know how you feel about the list of ingredients. I found some dried things sealed in a bag in the fridge, and I thought they were mushrooms, but they were in fact persimmons.....and, yes, they're still good, LOL....I just don't know what the heck to do with them.

Frederic

Alrighty then, anybody found the recipe that takes dried persimmons??

I've searched through MANY of Sherri's recipes and I can't find it.

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 09-16-2005, 03:02 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

This is such a great thread to read. Frederic, Sherri must have been the tops. I am so sorry for you and your childrens loss. I would love it if someone would email me the cookbook. redboneandrotts@aol.com

Thanks
Dawn
Old 09-16-2005, 04:05 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Dear Frederic ... This is such a treasure for all of us, but the full value of it may not be felt till your children are grown & able still to bring back those tastes they will know only from sitting at Sherri's table. I've shared tears with you more than once while reading this thread, sometimes over Sherri & sometimes because we lost my mom to breast cancer when she was only 47, which was my personal Sept. 11, back in '89. And, while we knew Mom was going to die & had plenty of time to practically smother her with love, we didn't think to ask about basic things, such as what went into her cucumber salad. And guess what?! I can't taste anyone else's without missing hers.

A few of her favorites were written on the backs of now-greasy envelopes or church bulletins, and I know those few scraps of paper by touch & feel & smell, savoring them more than the receipes themselves ... but what I wouldn't give to have what Sherri has passed on to you & your children ... and to grandchildren I pray you'll have.

So thank you, Sherri, for helping fill a hole that you didn't even know about.

Love,
SK
Old 09-16-2005, 05:46 PM   #56
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Post Lovely photo and tribute to Sherri

Blessings Frederic and family. What a lovely tribute a caravan and her cookbook. Not sure who I need to write to for a copy of the cookbook, I'd surely treasure it. What a great community here.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:23 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
done did it :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by early
This is such a great thread to read. Frederic, Sherri must have been the tops. I am so sorry for you and your childrens loss. I would love it if someone would email me the cookbook. redboneandrotts@aol.com

Thanks
Dawn
I emailed you the cookbook; hopefully you didn't get a BUNCH of copies :-)
Old 09-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
the cookbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Blessings Frederic and family. What a lovely tribute a caravan and her cookbook. Not sure who I need to write to for a copy of the cookbook, I'd surely treasure it. What a great community here.
IM your email addy to either me or Frederic, and you shall get it!
Old 09-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #59
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Summerkid,

I hope you never lose the recipes you have from your mother. I have thought about taking some of the most special recipes from Sherri's Cookbook and transferring them over to Word, putting them in a binder and saving them for Renee.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-17-2005, 01:27 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I believe in hard copies! That way, Renee can get butter & olive oil all over her mother's recipes & then that binder will mean something even more to HER children.

We do face the technological problem on several fronts of how to archive materials in a way that can be accessed in the future. So far, Gutenberg seems to be the universal fallback. As far as I know, the University of Illinois is STILL struggling with how to file hundreds of thousands of photos taken during the landmark City 2000 documentary project here in Chicago ... with the biggest problem being how to choose a format that will mesh with the next century's technology. No point, for instance, in using 8-tracks, Beta, VHS even, or floppy disks ... In 80 years, will there still be CD players to play the CDs we've so lovingly burned?

But, just like the Rosetta stone & petroglyphs that can can still be puzzled out, so can our written word take on a patina yet remain legible. ...