Old 08-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ribs

Simply stated one of America's favorite outdoor cooked P-I-G items, maybe 2nd only to thick slice bacon in a skillet, open fire etc.

BUT IMHO, it is also one of the most debated, regionalized, start an arguement about who does it right, you don't know what you're doing foods I have ever heard of.

We had our first date at a rib joint, had our engagement dinner there, Tic Tock Tavern, Lakewood OH. Best lunch joint I ever ate at was at The Rib Stand (IIRC) OKC I-40 & Agnew, darn good. Corky's in Memphis, darn good. Chains, well they have a place but outside of Corky's I haven't found em. Austin TX the Salt Lick, bring your own beer IIRC, it was several years ago but I still remember it. I would like to sample some Kansas City fare some day, heard it might be worth a taste.

Cooking, huge debate, charcoal grilled, Memphis dry rub fill in the next 200 methods. But my favorite is slow cooked in smoke and the folks at The Rib Stand showed me enought to be backyard dangerous. The Carolina's most likely have a BBQ tour and it's range is truly regional and needs serious exploration and in some cases explanation! The Carolinas favor a lot of pulled pork, that's some good stuff too. Hog cooker rigs are in a lot of backyards.

Cooking styles, technique and equipment for one and your favorite BBQ joints that maybe you and the AS have found, I have only scratched the surface.

My cooking style these days for ribs uses a side by side fire box and cooking chamber, slow cooking in smoke, beautiful smoke ring in the ribs, a slight spice rub, sauce after cooking and enjoy the day. Our new favorite sauce is called Pee Dee River Swamp Sauce. The rig might be big for a campout, and it might not, you set the priorities. We also take some of the trimmings and cut them up, throw em in a pot of Bush's beans, slow cook, what an upgrade! The smell is, well it's the best, oak or hickory and PIG!

These pic's are from the backyard on two different occasions. One other thing I have done is throw in some country sausage still coiled up into the cooker with the ribs, oh man, slow cooked smoked sausage! And no, the drip pan under the cooker just has some rain water in it, that's not from todays cooking, sorry should a pulled it out of the pic.

OK, where is this going?

Tell us your stories, show us the results and maybe a receipe or two, let's have some finger lickin fun and just try to keep your shirt clean!

In about 45 minutes, I'll be tearing into todays efforts!

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribs A.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	109670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribs B.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	109671  

Name:	Rib C.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	109672  

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Olsburg , Kansas
Well, well, well, I am surprised there aren't any replies to your post. Now first question is - do you prefer a dry rub only, a vinegar base southern style bb sauce or sweeter versions? My first rememberance of bbq was what mom fixed. She and dad were at Oak Ridge, TN at the research facility there(2nd WW era). That is where she first came across bbq. Her bbq was made in the oven, ribs and a vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar and spice base and slow cooked. Lots of grease in the pan, and very good.

As a natural progression I have experimented with many reciepes but am now leaning more toward a vinegar base bbq sauce. Sad note is I don't write down the receipes that I have used over the years. Way to many to try out of books and my own. Let's see what comes from others.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
My personal favorite, a slight spice rub, not a crust, slow cooked in smoke, wrap in AL foil for the last 45 min or so and enjoy. I'm using sauce as a side, not a part of the cooking process. I could try a light coat at the foil wrap, but as described, they disappear fast. Our favorite sauce is Pee Dee River Swamp Sauce, a bit spicy, a bit thin, and not a thick sweet catsup based sauce at all.

We had a chance to chat with a BBQ Judge this summer and those guys have it down to a science as far as tasting criteria, but we did agree on this, falling off the bone ain't everyones favorite style, peel yes, fall not really.

Maybe ribs is too much work for a typical AS adventure, but sometimes spending a day watching clouds and tending a slow fire then enjoying your efforts, not too bad of a day.
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I used a smoker,no chips till last 15 minutes,then a vinegar sauce on the side.Dave
Old 10-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1974 Argosy 26
Youngsville , North Carolina
Just my opinion...

I prefer a dry rub, to slow cook with. Usually use "Adams Rib Rubb" The spicy one over the original. Now some folks here sware by a local brew called "Bone Suckin Sauce" to finish ribs in or to serve with at the table. Its good but not my personal favorite.
Once a year I travel to our family gathering of the clan, a small get together with my 13 brothers and sisters, their spouses, children, and grand kids, all overseen by MOM. There is a local rib joint, Kundula's, where friday night dinner is always provided from. They make a 2 part BBQ sauce simply called #1 and #2. #1 is used during the cooking of ribs (and chicken too) it does not have any sugar in it so there is no burning flavor. Then for the last 10 to 15 min. they bath the ribs in #2 to add a sweet carmelization, then place ribs in coolers to finish...makes my mouth water to think about it. I always by several gallons of sauce to take home and freeze for use during the year.
But back to my original thought, After slow cooking dry rubbed ribs that have been coated in Adams Rib Rubb at least 12 hrs I bathe the ribs in #2 sauce and wrap in foil and put in a 225 degree over for an hour. Just slice ribs and serve with a roll of paper towels and your favorite cold beverage.
Now thats what I call good liv'in!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
3-2-1 Ribs

Many Kansas City BBQ experts use a 3-2-1 method for ribs. Dry rub, then slow-cook for 3 hours in smoke; wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and slow-cook for 2 hours; then rest in a holding oven for 1 hour. These are tender and juicy ribs. Leaving ribs in the smoke too long makes them acrid and dry. But they need the long slow cooking for tenderness. This method solves the problem. Best wishes, John
Old 10-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Olsburg , Kansas
This is the topic for this spot. It understand there is a BBQ spot somewhere in KC, MO that is in an old gas station that a few years ago some KC BBQ lovers judged as one of the best in KC. Not one of the well known bbq spots. My wife and I have eaten at different places in Memphis, one of the best that we love is the German Town Commissary.

I agree with not smoking to long, just enough time to give the slight pinkish tint to the outer layer. Smoked turkey is great.

I have tried the bbq with mustard as part of the flavor, no tomato or ketchup. this does not burn if the meat is basted with it.

more thoughts????
Old 10-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I don't care how you cook them...Airstream ribs still come out tough...as aluminum.

Sorry couldn't resist

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Now you've done it. I read these posts on cooking ribs, had to get out of my easy chair and trot across town to the good meat market for a healthy slab of baby back ribs. Don't have a smoker, but I can turn out some pretty good ones on my barbeque. Dry rub, no sauce, just starting to fall off the bone. Eat the whole thing myself.
I'll be a happy camper soon........

Carol

Carol
Old 11-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Carol,

Glad we could inspire your culinary side. Now how about a picure of em before you ring the chow bell?

Clyde,

We lived in Bartlett for 3 years, I remember going to some little resturant just a few miles east of Germantown for a slamup catfish dinner and to Gus' Chicken at the old original store somewhere NE of us, darn good eats.

Wahoonc,

Tough as Aluminum, you didn't have the special sauce, that's the problem!

Folks, I still sorta new here in SC, 8 years, blame that on several job moves, but my first night here in SC, the SCETV station ran a "Carolina" BBQ expose, with regional maps showing the sauce trends, seveal behind the scenes interviews with the Master Chefs, many of these were the classic small town, nobody travels here sorta spots, we have tried a couple of them, but I think the Carolina's have a real soft spot for regional and varied approaches to BBQ traditions with Pig Pickin's being right at the top, and the Carolina's approach to the correct side dishes, well, that alone needs an expert to explain, rice and gravy, hash, sweet tater cassarole, 3" chunks of sweet corn. and not your every day veggies, sorry, can't do okra.

Not to start another one, but that 3" chunk of soggy steamed "corn on the cobb" just ain't conna cut it. Us mid-western born, well "Yankees" grew up with grown in the back yard/picked that day/sold in the front yard/buttered and ate the same day corn.

A smoked slab of ribs and real fresh SWEET CORN and your favorite beverage is enough to get me going.

I like to soak my corn and grill it AS IS until a bit toasty on the outside, time to eat!
S/OS #001
Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree with the corn on the cob assessment, GC. Those frozen nubbins are just not really corn on the cob. We midwesterners are spoiled in that area. Just picked, tri-color corn, roasted and buttered----mmmmm.

We like to drive the backroads and scenic routes, go through old towns, etc. There are many, many yummy BBQ places out there, and SC has some of the best. No okra for us, either---how people eat that stuff is beyond me.

Maggie
Old 11-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Olsburg , Kansas
How about listing the shops that a person has eaten bbQ in the state where they live. Many times when I travel I eat bbQ at restaurants. Most of the time I have eaten great food. I would appreciate this information for my future travels. My wife and I tend to travel the back roads through the small towns.

Follow this link for a very good listing of Kansas BBQ stops: Barbecue Restaurants in Kansas | Kansas Yellow Pages at LocalGuides.com

First stop in Kansas:

1. Topeka - Pat's Pig on south 75 highway
2. Topeka - Boss Hawg's on s.w. 29th
3. Topeka - Grover's Smokehouse on s.w. Gage Blvd

4. Manhattan - Cox Bro. east side of Manhattan
5. Manhattan - Coco Bolo's in Aggieville area

6. Lawrence - Buffalo Bob's Smokehouse on Massachusetts

7. Smolan - Hickory Tree on 3rd street
Old 11-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Ribs

Good timing, I was just taking out the last of them for lunch...
This rack of ribs took up my entire barbeque and I did them three ways all in dry rub. One third had spicy barbeque rub, the next third I put on roast seasoning and last third got the house seasoning from my meat market.
The dogs were drooling and whining as I turned the rack over and over, should have made Hush Puppies to quiet them. When they were done, I cut the rack in thirds and rotated eating a rib off each one till I was full. Ymmm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ribs.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	579.3 KB
ID:	114324  
Old 11-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I agree with the corn on the cob assessment, GC. Those frozen nubbins are just not really corn on the cob. We midwesterners are spoiled in that area. Just picked, tri-color corn, roasted and buttered----mmmmm.

We like to drive the backroads and scenic routes, go through old towns, etc. There are many, many yummy BBQ places out there, and SC has some of the best. No okra for us, either---how people eat that stuff is beyond me.

Maggie
Maggie,

Darn it, I have never had Tri-Color corn! Bi, yes, but not Tri. What be the name of said confused ear of corn and what it the 3rd color?

We have a really nice orchard/farm market just a few miles away and datgumit I want to find the produce manager and tell em to QUIT PULLIN ANY OF THE HUSK OFF! Leave it as it was made thankyouverymuch so some of us can soak it and grill it the way it ought to be eaten.

BTW, they got pickled and probally some other pre-served okra, but I'd have to check to be sure, no wait, 2nd thought, I pass.

I'll have to get a list started, but one criteria that I fancy, if you can't smell it cooking from the outside, or see the wood pile to cook with why bother going inside to be disappointed.

Sorta back to topic, try putting a coil of country sausage or even some breakfast links in your smoker, links make great snacks and a good smoked country sausage deserves some consideration.

Darn, today's only tuesday.

S/OS #001