Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #15
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
Good timing, I was just taking out the last of them for lunch...
This rack of ribs took up my entire barbeque and I did them three ways all in dry rub. One third had spicy barbeque rub, the next third I put on roast seasoning and last third got the house seasoning from my meat market.
The dogs were drooling and whining as I turned the rack over and over, should have made Hush Puppies to quiet them. When they were done, I cut the rack in thirds and rotated eating a rib off each one till I was full. Ymmm.
Alright Airforums rib enthusiasts, Carol came thru with a nice pic of her cooking, but I didn't get to taste em, but looks good, different rubs is good and if the Fido's was interested, that's a 5 Star compliment.

But it's still tuesday, no time until the weekend at best.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Hey, don't give up on okra yet. Most people have tasted that slimey concoction of older okra, cooked for God knows how long. BUT, if you go to the grocery and pick out all the tiniest, baby okra from the bunch, cut off the tips and tails, then brown them lightly in a little oil, then sprinkle with salt, it makes all the difference in the world. Like the difference between real Parmesan and that dry stuff in a can.....
As far as corn goes, I am with you, I grow it myself, pick it right at dinnertime and roast them on the grill. Pure heaven! Here we butter it, squeeze on lime juice, then sprinkle with chili powder, salt and pepper. My mouth is watering just writing about it.

Carol

Old 11-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ribs look yummy, Carol! Your okra prep sounds okay, but I am cautious. Too much of it as a kid visiting my grandparents in Mississippi. I do like it in gumbo!

GC, I think it's tri-color, but have been known to be confused before. Wouldn't know the name, just buy it at the market. I'll try to remember to look for it next year and take a picture. Maybe there are some other midwesterners out there who can clarify.

We dry-rub ribs or marinate them, pre-cook in the oven before putting on the charcoal grill. We prefer the meatier, country-style ribs, but it's all good!

Maggie
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #18
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Maggie,

My most reliable corn supply includes some Silver Queen and it has been pretty good, but not what exists in the Midwest.

One time driving into Columbus OH from the south on a non-interstate saw my first roadside stand advertising hot corn ready to eat.

Our common hot & ready roadside sign is for boiled peanuts.

I'm needing some campfire time folks.

I know rib joints worth recommending, I'll get some help and get back soon.
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Oven-baked first, tightly-covered. Then, to the smoker to finish. Results are more consistent (and taste better) than smoker-to-oven, and more controlled from one date to another in re time/temps (altitude, weather, etc). Recipes following this path seem to work best, IMO.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #20
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I use the same side smoker, (assuming that's a Char-Broil), and regularly smoke several items.

I do a lot of fresh salmon when we can get it. Soak in brine overnight and then in the smoker till its done. My Wife has a vacuum packager and we put it away for those long Winter nights to eat with crackers.

I do ribs. Oh yeah! I used to put a rub on them and wrap them in foil and precook them in the oven. Then onto the smoker to finish them off. Now I have discovered that I can put them right in the smoker and as long as I keep a pan of water boiling inside the smoker, they will come out moist and tender. I usually do several racks of ribs and then freeze some.

I smoke turkeys both whole and parts as well as sausages.

One interesting thing is that I grow a lot of peppers. Some really hot and some mild. I take some each year and put them in the smoker along with whatever else I am smoking and then the Wife chops them up and freezes them for use later. Really gives a nice flavor to whatever she wants to fry up. Be careful though cause they take the smoke really fast and actually get too smokey.

I smoke pork shoulders and briskets too. I use a rub on the shoulders and the briskets we usually make into corned beef or Pastrami. When you brine a brisket and bake it you have corned beef and then if you rub it in black pepper and smoke it you have pastrami. Really good stuff.

I think the key is to keep that pot of water boiling inside the smoker at all times.

As for wood chips I usually gather oak and hickory right from our property. It doesn't have to be cured and I just lay it on top of the charcoal. For large items like hams, (wow, have you tried smoking a cured ham), I will make a fire in both chambers and control the heat by closing the air vent when it gets too hot.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm hungry.

Maggie
Old 11-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Cooperhawk,

Boy have I got courtesy parking for you....

Carol
Old 11-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #23
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Just got back inside. Been out cutting some Hickory and oak for the smoker. Now I'm hungry too.

Here is another trick. Take a Jalapeno pepper, cut out the stem and core out the membranes and seeds with a carrot peeler. Now wrap it with bacon and stick a tooth pick through it.

At this point you can freeze it or put it under a broiler or on a grill till the bacon is done. Now while its still hot stuff it with your favorite cheese.

Goooooood!!!!

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 11-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #24

San Diego , California
Ribs

Ladies and gents here is a FYI.......Smart & Final has Foster Farm
baby backs for $1.79 per pound that's a super deal. Also for you
rib lovers here is a website thats a must www.cbbqa.com
California BBQ association.....former board member.........
best wishes and keep smoking the ribs
Old 11-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #25
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arstrmn View Post
Ladies and gents here is a FYI.......Smart & Final has Foster Farm
baby backs for $1.79 per pound that's a super deal. Also for you
rib lovers here is a website thats a must www.cbbqa.com
California BBQ association.....former board member.........
best wishes and keep smoking the ribs
Arstrmn,

HOLD THE KEYBOARD!

A former Certified BBQ Assn. Board Member ain't getting off this quick or easy!

Let's hear about that prize winning technique, secret rubs and sauces, we can all get our craft a bit better, just save us a few years of expirementation, what say you?

And Cooperhawk,

A BBQ'ologist from TX, you got more up your sleeve I bet.

Pictures, recipes, I can see it coming I hope!

This is getting good, still hungry though.
S/OS #001
Old 11-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #26
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Wife and I have been talking about doing up a bunch of meat next week. Brisket, pork shoulder, ribs, ect. Then vacuum pack it and get ready for Winter.

Keep you advised...........................

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 11-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I was in Kansas City, Kansas, recently and was steered to Gates Bar-B-Q (a local chain). Yummy!
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Lees Summit , Missouri
Gas Station BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydecrashcu View Post
This is the topic for this spot. It understand there is a BBQ spot somewhere in KC, MO that is in an old gas station that a few years ago some KC BBQ lovers judged as one of the best in KC. Not one of the well known bbq spots.

My best guess would be Sneed's BBQ at the corner of Holmes Rd and 58 Hwy. It has a gas station attached. (Lamar's Doughnuts got their start IN a converted mid-town gas station) They have a nice smoky bbq, and they leave the sauce to you.

When seeking KC BBQ ask how to find the original restaurant. Gates is best eaten just off the plaza, Arthur Bryant's is in da hood. Jack Stack (Fiorella's) can be mail ordered but unless you've been to Martin City you just don't have any idea how moist and tender ribs can be. I love my hometown BBQ, I don't bother with the satellite stores.

C