Old 12-21-2003, 12:24 AM   #57
Site Team

, Minnesota
Davydd:
Can't believe you were in Cincinnati (my hometown) and never tried Skylini Chili!
They add cocoa to give it a unique flavor. The highest you could go was a 7-way.

Old 12-21-2003, 12:52 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
rubber fish...

my,my....such passion for a vile food brought on by such an innocuous little blurb.....the old swedes are gone...they took with them to their graves, the knowledge that made the dish palatable......i for one shall never eat it again....tradition has it that the codfish is started soaking on santa lucia day(dec 13) for consumption on christmas eve....a meal now only a memory...potatis skorv with cream horseradish sauce so simple yet so exquisite....and many other dishes of name i know not, will never be again....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:33 AM   #59
qqq
4 Rivet Member

In Lyon (France), frog legs & snails in garlic sauce

Hart
Old 12-21-2003, 06:47 AM   #60
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Cuban Press Sandwiches, best place is a little hole in the wall store near the Clearwater, FL airport, gotta wash them down with a beer. Mother in Law's Sweet Potatoe Casserole and COOKED Banana Cream Pudding I'll come home from any where! for those two dishes

Aaron
Old 12-21-2003, 09:02 AM   #61
Site Team

, Minnesota
Re: rubber fish...

Quote:
Originally posted by norbert
my,my....such passion for a vile food brought on by such an innocuous little blurb.....the old swedes are gone...they took with them to their graves, the knowledge that made the dish palatable......i for one shall never eat it again....tradition has it that the codfish is started soaking on santa lucia day(dec 13) for consumption on christmas eve....a meal now only a memory...potatis skorv with cream horseradish sauce so simple yet so exquisite....and many other dishes of name i know not, will never be again....
norby
Norby, here's a great way to prepare Lutfisk the old fashioned way:
"Clean the fish removing the heads, scales or skin entrails and fins and split the fish into two pieces by cutting down the back bone. Place the pieces of fish in glass jars or pottery corcks. For each pound of fish use one cup of washing soda. Take an enamel or cast iron pot and put the soda into it. Add enough boiling water to dissolve all of the soda and stir well with a wooden stick. Pour the soda mixture over the fish and add enough cold water to cover. If the fish float to the top put plates on them to keep them down. Leave for four days. Now remove the fish and scrub each piece with a vegetable brush if the fish are slimy. Now place the fish in cold water and soak for seven days. Change the water twice a day. If the fish get slimy, scrub off the slime with a vegetable brush. The fish are now ready to cook.
Remove the fish from the cool water and place in a clean white cloth such as an old dishcloth and tie the ends of the cloth together to form a sack. Place the sack in boiling salted to taste water for about one half minute, depending on the size of the fish pieces. Do not cover the pot. Remove the sack and leave drain. When well drained untie the sack and place the fish pieces on plates for serving. Make on of the following sauces and pour it over the fish and serve. 1. Melted butter. 2. White sauce. 3. Cheese sauce. Serve with boiled or mashed potatoes."

-from George and Berthe Herter, Waseca, Minnesota (1960)

Don in Minnesota.
Just say NO!
Old 12-21-2003, 09:14 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Question

why would anyone in their right mind do that to fresh fish?
actually, if you really want to be old fashioned........preparation starts with making the lye solution out of birch ashes...why....i'll bet you might have a couple of them birches in yo backyard...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 12-21-2003, 09:25 AM   #63
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally posted by norbert
why would anyone in their right mind do that to fresh fish?
norby
Speaking of fresh fish- where do you get fresh fish in the winter? You sit on a bucket over a hole in the ice- another fine tradition that i fail to understand.

Ice fishing-JUST SAY NO!
Old 12-21-2003, 10:37 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
re:

you must not be a sportsman....those buckets are condos these days......dried fish in addition to not needing refrigeration was meant to sustain life so one could once again dance around the may pole.....
norby

Old 12-21-2003, 10:48 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
CHEEERS

lutefisk and lefse,
romegrot and preem
Mt. Horeb High School
Football team.

norby

Old 12-21-2003, 12:24 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Skyline Chili in Cincinnati?

Nope. All I can remember are White Castles, Toddle House, Lakewood Bar & Grill (home of the world's greasiest pizza), peanut butter, pot pies, Swanson TV dinners, Vienna sausages, Hudepohl, Schoenling and Wiedemann. And it is a wonder I still have a stomach.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:27 PM   #67
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markdoane
Davydd:
Can't believe you were in Cincinnati (my hometown) and never tried Skylini Chili!
They add cocoa to give it a unique flavor. The highest you could go was a 7-way.
When in Cincinnati or Covington, Ky., we always stop and get our fix of Sky Line Chili. There's even one on US1 in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.

Here in Lexington, Ky. we have Gold Star Chili, which is a knock off of Sky Line and is very good too.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:12 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Thumbs down 7 way...or the highway....

for us....true chili heads....it is an aberation seasoned with middle-eastern spices.....one can experience the same sensation emptying from the refrigerator a weeks worth of leftovers....
norby

Old 12-21-2003, 01:33 PM   #69
Site Team

, Minnesota
David:
Hudephol, Schoenling, Weidemann- and Burger beer! Remember going to the Pony Keg each weekend, with an occasional expedition to Newport to stock up on cheap Bourbon.
Those were the days, and the Reds were on top! Mt. Adams, where the 'hippies' hung out.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:52 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Great seafood, cheap

Just west of Rockport, Texas, is The Big Fisherman Restaurant where seafood is fresh, plentiful, and cheap.

It isn't fancy, to say the least Reviewers on the ChefMoz Dining Guide all rate the food 5 stars and the service: 5 stars. Overall: 4 or 5 stars. I go for the food and service, not the decor (which is kind of sea coast funky), so it is a 5 star restaurant as far as I am concerned.

Another reviewer wrote:

The food and portions are outstanding. The service is wonderful and all of the waitstaff are friendly, quick, attentive, and appreciative. The building is very pleasant, very dark which helps after you have been out in the Sun for hours, and very cool - the air conditioning works.

I walked around the restaurant, looked at what others were eating, spoke to many "old timers" and repeat customers. This is the place to eat at and visit, it is a destination eatery.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote