Old 12-19-2003, 03:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Cheese Curds

When in Wisconsin, you should try fresh cheese curds. "Cheese curds are fresh, young cheddar cheese in the natural, random shape and form before being processed into blocks and aged."

They can be purchased at most grocery stores, but I prefer to get them at the farmer's market held on the square in Madison Saturday mornings.

If you get them at a grocery store, ask a dairy dept. employee how long they've had them. Our local store received their curds on Thursday, so that's the only day we'd buy them.

If they are fresh, they will squeak when you eat them.

Old 12-19-2003, 03:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Mesquite BBQ

Joe Allens.... http://www.joeallens.com/
Mesquite smoked BBQ and mesquite grilled steaks...which in Texas means BEEF.
Abilene, Texas...y'all come!
Similar restuarant in Lubbock ..Cagle's Steaks.....

Old 12-19-2003, 04:15 PM   #31
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ya beat me to it!

"They can be purchased at most grocery stores, but I prefer to get them at the farmer's market held on the square in Madison Saturday mornings."

edie,

just remember to go counterclockwise around the square!

also not to be missed is the "taste of madison" held in august on the capitol square. many good local delights.

taste of madison

john
Old 12-19-2003, 06:24 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Regional Food Specialties

I hadn't thought of this until reading John and Edie's posts. One of the unusual treats that I enjoyed in Grant County Wisconsin cafes was a cheese curd specialty. Served with salad as an appetizer, the curds were pan fried in real butter just until they were about ready to melt - - with wheat crackers or rye toast - - a very delicious treat. (It seems like there is at least one cheese factory with a "factory store" in most Grant County communities - - never tired experimenting with the wonderful cheese products while living there.)

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:38 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
Cincinnati Chili...

Skyline Chili to be specific.

Skyline Chili

The best way is a five-way...spaghetti topped with chili, beans, onions and shredded cheddar cheese.

Another great way is a coney or a "Skyliner". Its a hotdog on a bun topped with chili, mustard, onions and shredded cheddar.

Yum!!!
Old 12-19-2003, 07:02 PM   #34
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Spudnuts - any where, any time!
A cake style doughnut made with potato flour. These used (1950's) to be available all over the Northwest at mom and pop franchises..... they are now a rarity.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:07 PM   #35
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Hard to get the Airstream in tow near one, but to continue with the Wisconsin food. Either Chili Johns in Green Bay, or Real Chili in Milwaukee. Edie orders it Marquette ( no beans). I like it with Pasta noodles, beans and chili meat. Onions, cheese and sour cream are optional. Be prepared though if you are sensitive to hot spicy food the mild will be too much. Medium is a good sinus clearer, I don't know anyone who can eat hot, but I am sure there is someone out there that can

Link to real chili in citysearch

From the Green Bay PAckes site.
Chili Johns Steeped in tradition, Chili Johns opened for business before the Green Bay Packers began their unparalleled legacy. Chili Johns signature chili is described as a "Tex Mex" with its combination of beans, noodles and meat. Rumor has it that Chili John's is a must-stop for football guru John Madden.

I think it may be time for a road trip....................
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:14 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Maid-rites-loose meat sandwiches

nds-you asked about "loose meat" sandwiches. The ones we have loved for years were from a franchised Maid-rite. Our home town Maid-rite was in Trenton, Missouri, and our kids thought those sandwiches, along with an ice-cold Pepsi, were as fine as steak or lobster, well, almost! We found another Maid-rite north of there in Iowa, but have no idea if they are just a mid-America marvel or if more wide spread. As anyone mentioned Crab Cakes? Everyone's is "always best" and always slightly different from all others, it seems! But we do love them!
Old 12-19-2003, 09:19 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
a Gumbo cookoff, anyone?

Talk about regional dishes-how about Gumbo? We like ours dark with roux and hot with Tobasco, filled with rice and claws and crawfish! The best gumbo I've had was served in the little town of Bayou la Batre, but the most fun I've had eating Gumbo was at the annual Gumbo Cookoff in Mobile last spring. Has anyone else been there?
Old 12-19-2003, 10:17 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Maxandgeorgia!

Quote:
We found another Maid-rite north of there in Iowa, but have no idea if they are just a mid-America marvel or if more wide spread.
The Maid Rite franchise is home-based in the Quad Cities of Illinois/Iowa. They have a web site at:

Maid Rite Cafes

Our local Maid Rite had dollar Maid Rite nite on Thursdays for years or at least it seems that way - - unforutunately a disasterous fire caused the owner to close the cafe and it has never been re-opened.

I actually had the opportunity to have a Loose Meat Sandwitch at Roseanne and Tom's Big Food Diner in Eldon, Iowa back in the very early 1990s. This was just shortly after the article appeared in TV Guide . It was very similar to the Maid Rites served in the Quad Cities Area. In fact most of the small cafes around here serve a very close approximation that is called a Steamburger.

Kevin
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 12-19-2003, 10:52 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

I hadn't thought about it for years, but one of my favorite stops when traveling through Randolph County Illinois was at the Mary Lee Bake Shop in Chester (Popeye's hometown). They featured a taste treat called an Old Fashioned doughnut.

After moving away, I just had to try to replicate it as a holiday treat. Experimenting with many old recipes resulted in a near duplicate - - the recipe substituted 50% to 75% of the normal amount of flour for left-over mashed potatoes (in a normal yeast doughnut-type dough); the balance of the dough preparation was normal. Two additional keys were in frying - - for best taste the frying had to be done in pure lard; and the glaze had to be very ritch (twice as much sugar as normal plus an extra 3 tablespoons of creamery butter and 3 tablespoons of pure Vanilla Extract). The recipe is one that belonged to my maternal grandmother, and makes close to 8 dozen large doughnuts.

Probably not for the health-nut; but a truely memorable taste treat.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-20-2003, 12:22 AM   #40
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

In Paris, Camembert , baguette & a glass of vin rouge!

Hart
Old 12-20-2003, 06:14 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We've got quite a few here in the Cleveland/Northeastern Ohio area.

1. Fresh Lake Erie Perch and Walleye!! Best tasting fish in the world. Available year round, more plentiful in the summer. The best "Fish Houses" are in Grand River and Fairport.

2. Lake Erie Wines. Many small wineries in the Lake and Ashtabula county area. Some are winning International awards.
Best Riesling in the world is from Markko Vineyards, Conneaut, Ohio. Anything from Ferrante Winery, or Virant Winery in Geneva is on top of my list.

3. We have cheese too! Middlefield, Ohio has TWO cheese factories, famous for their swiss cheese. We also have a big cheese processing center called Great Lakes Cheese, in the county. The Middlefield area is also has a big Amish population.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 08:50 AM   #42
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: Maid-rites-loose meat sandwiches

Quote:
Originally posted by maxandgeorgia
nds-you asked about "loose meat" sandwiches. The ones we have loved for years were from a franchised Maid-rite.
But, what are they?