Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Sierra Papa

2007 25' International CCD
Preston , Idaho
Propane Slow Cooker

Does anyone make a good "crock pot" or slow cooker that runs off gas? Seems to me that cold weather boondocking would be greatly aided by such a thing?

We leave the trailer and are gone most days doing our thing, and returning to a hot slow cooker meal would be wonderful.

We bought a Coleman unit, but unless ours was faulty, this is not a slow cooker. It has a very thin metal "pot" and the heat was a temperature more akin to stove top cooking than slow cooking.

Anyone with expericence? Remember we are looking for gas powered as this is for boondocking.

If all else fails we are going to try putting a cast iron dutch oven in our gas oven and pretending it is a slow cooker and see how that works.
Sierrapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The ones I have seen don't get very good reviews. I think the general consensus is that pressure cookers are the way to go.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
At first glance, it would appear Coleman is the only show in town. These are an expensive alternative:

Thermal Cooker - Home & Garden - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
Sierra Papa

Preston , Idaho
Hey, you folks might be on to something for me with this "thermal cooker" idea.

General D, when you say pressure cooker are you talking about the same things that Silver Ranger is linking me to? More of a thermos type cooker?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrapapa
General D, when you say pressure cooker are you talking about the same things that Silver Ranger is linking me to? More of a thermos type cooker?
I mean a regular pressure cooker. I have no idea about the thermos types, they may be fine.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
My crock pot is 190 watts - my trailer (which is on the way) is being equipped with a solar powered 600 watt inverter. We live in the southwest with lots of sunshine. I'm guessing that it will be OK - we'll see.

Otherwise... the pressure coker may be the way to go.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Many times we have plugged our crock pot into our on-board inverter and have had a hot meal ready when we get back from touring at the end of the day. We do carry our Honda 2000 to recharge the batteries if needed, but that's more for Leon's C-Pap than for rebuilding the charge on the batteries after using our crock pot. Our crock pot uses about 200 watts, so whatever that means to people who understand this electrical stuff more than me. All I know is plugging the crock pot into the inverter works for us and it doesn't completely kill our batteries.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I have made some very good stews and other dishes by using an oven proof glass dish with lid. I just put in all the ingredients, put it in the oven, and set the propane oven to about 200 degrees. About 6 hours later I return to a warm trailer and a hot meal after a long hike or some serious cold weather fishing. Since I use the oven, I don't have to carry an additional "cooking device".
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Sierra Papa

Preston , Idaho
Hey, thanks to you all. We are going to try a small crock pot, and we are going to try the oven idea. I am glad the old days are gone when I had to only learn from the school of hard knocks.... this site is great.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Sounds to me like the oven would be the way to go. From what I've read, crock pots cook at about 200 degrees on low, so using the oven at that temp should work.
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
The wife and I use the crock pot most of the time. We go out in are Tracker and we back we have some "good" hot food.
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote