Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #41
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
We are full-timers and I do love the look of the Blue nesting pots. But just saying our stew pot is a Magna-lite from over 30 years ago, 3 nesting cast iron skillets. My hubby loves to cook so I found 2 Emeril pans at Goodwill for $12 and went to TJMaxx for a couple of Cuisinart pots. They all fit in our AS perfectly.

Just have to find what works for your chef!
That's great advice!

I do the cooking too (hubby) - both at home & camping, & LOVE cast iron at home for many dishes, & would probably love them too if cooking over an open campfire, but we just don't do that often, what with the galley in the Westy & Avion. I'm trying to stay away from the added weight of C.I. in the trailers & wheezy VW Van ("Zero to 60 in 30 mins.!" ).

The C.I. Dutch Oven for campfire Cornbread is especially tasty, but I can do our traditional "Cherokee Cornbread" on a piece of bark with an even better smokey flavor! (.... before the sarcastic comments start - it's not a joke, seriously)

I've also cooked on non-coated of both stainless steel & aluminum pans, which work fine if you use grease, butter, Pam, etc. - & have some of the aluminum camp set ones in the Westy, as well as the aluminum coffee pot in both Avion & Van.

So folks can really use whatever they prefer at home or camping, & I don't think anyone here is saying one or the other.

In my case, I was just hoping to find & asked the collective knowledge about an aluminum based & quality ceramic coated nesting set with folding/removable handles for our VW Westfalia Camper Van - & maybe we'd do them in our 1960 Avion & if we do get a vintage Eriba Puck or similar small Euro trailer to tow behind our smaller cars.

I don't want to see this topic turn into one of the debates, like they too often do with hitches or trucks vs. smaller TV!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Do you recall the brand name of that one Kelvin?

.... so the rest of us can stay away from them!

PS - they use ceramic for military body armor & Porsche/BMW/etc. Brake Discs - so the right ceramic is certainly capable of withstanding a lot of abuse!

Since yours green waffle one got scratched with even plastic utensils, I suspect it's the same fake crap as used on the crappy white coated on we had.

The "Orgeenic" brand pans are green ceramic, but I know that there are other white, black/grey, silver-ish, copper, etc. colored ceramic coatings out there (I assume they can add most any color to the ceramic material) - which are good, long lasting, non-stick & scratch resistant/proof pans - but I just don't know all of the names of the brands or manufacturers of them.

ALL - It would be most helpful to all reading this topic, to post both the good brands & bad ones.

TIA,
Tom
///////
We purchased it in 2013 in Emory, TX in an Alco store (113 year chain went bankrupt in 2014). We don't have it anymore. I looked at some photos of it online and the label looks familiar. My wife tends to think it was Orgreenic. This looks very familiar.

http://www.amazon.com/Orgreenic-Cera.../dp/B0091Q1170

Kelvin
Old 02-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #43
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
Just saw these!

http://smartspace-cookware.com/
Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #44
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning G View Post
I've heard many positive comments about Magma brand cookware but the SmartSpace shown at the link above looks very good. The price is not much more than Magma for a similar number of cookware items.

If anyone out there is using SmartSpace please take a few minutes to comment.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yes, please share experience with them, how well they cook, etc.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:29 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I've heard many positive comments about Magma brand cookware but the SmartSpace shown at the link above looks very good. The price is not much more than Magma for a similar number of cookware items.

If anyone out there is using SmartSpace please take a few minutes to comment.

I have the Magma all stainless steel (not nonstick ). We are foodies and cook a lot. They have nice heavy bottoms and heat evenly. I think that the set is great.
Maybe it’s just me, but I think that stirring in a square pot would be awkward. I cook risotto often and can’t imagine doing that in something square.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote