Old 01-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Portable Induction Cooktop

I am looking to purchase a portable induction cooktop for home and also to take in the AS. So I was wondering if anyone has used one while camping and if so how do You like it.

Thanks

John

Old 01-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Me too!

I am also looking into a 2 burner countertop-inset induction cooktop for my AS resto. They have pretty good reviews online. A little steep at $450 on Amazon and apparently they split the power between elements so you can't have both on high at the same time, but very energy efficient and safe.
I too would like to hear from someone who has one before jumping in and buying one.
Leonie

flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Bought this one last year. Used it all camping season. Worked great. However, it draws up to 12 amps on high. So we could not run anything else on the same circuit. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1420554057.306821.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  37.5 KB
I also use it at home for my home brew.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1420554072.608021.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	229898
Old 01-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have been using a New Wave portable for little over a year, about 5 months actual camper use. Works very well, gives off almost no heat but heats the cookware (and food) only by induction. It's our primary cooktop, and we can use it outside if we want.

Several power settings, on high it takes 1300 watts at 120 vac so in a 30 amp Airstream you can maybe use the electric water heater and the induction cooktop at the same time, but little else.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
We have one and love it. We have been out on three trips so far, still in the aluminum tent phase with no gas lines. We used the portable induction burner to cook meals works great. When Pam bought it we did have to get a few pans. We used a magnet to see which ones we had that would work with the induction burner.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
New Wave - cheap but good. Works fine with nesting pots & pans from Camping World. Maintains temperature very well.

Definitely not for boondocking without a generator though.

Great for hot food at a potluck.

Paula
Old 01-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
Bought one of these at Sams after Christmas. I have only used once, but not camping. Plan to take it with us the first camping opportunity. Heats up incredibly fast.

Sam's Club Mobile - Tramontina 6 Pc. Induction Cooking System
Old 01-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Portable Induction Cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
New Wave - cheap but good. Works fine with nesting pots & pans from Camping World. Maintains temperature very well.

Definitely not for boondocking without a generator though.

Great for hot food at a potluck.

Paula

NuWave sells 2 models of their induction cooktop. They get a lot of flack about the sales techniques used on the 800# in their infomercials and website particularly with S&H fees and pushing accessories. The most common model is 1300 watts and is the model often found online and in the big box stores. They also sell an 1800 watt model. They look identical and operate exactly the same except on High the extra wattage will sear better and bring something to a boil more quickly, but it may be more likely to trip a breaker in the trailer on High if other loads are present. If used at home or in the clubhouse, the higher wattage may be desirable. Note: The power consumption can be reduced by dialing down the setting. Medium High on the 1800 watt model is roughly the same as High on the 1300 watt model.

We've also found it works great as a warming plate to keep something at the right temp without cooking it further at our potlucks.

Amazon carries both, the high watt model is about $40 more.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dear Silver Goose, thanks for bringing up the S&H and upsell/cross-sell issues with the Nu-Wave. Any internet "deal" seems to have that "just pay for separate shipping and handling." The pans they sell are actually pretty good, but the "retail value" is B.S. You do get on their e-mail list too, but still I've seen other units for a lot more money that weigh a lot more too.

I had one, gave the second to my niece, then wrecked the old Safari - and thought the Nu-Wave had bit the dust because it made a funny noise whenever I turned it on. So I bought two more and when they came I unscrewed the bottom of the "broken" one and found a loose piece of plastic in the fan. Once removed the old unit functioned fine. So now I have 3 working ones. I've used two at a pot luck, and maybe I'll get all three going for Alumalina.

As for the 1800 watt unit, if I'm going to sear anything it's going to be done outside so as not to par broil the Airstream's interior. I use a volcano cooker - and the 1300 watt unit is plenty fast enough for anything I've cooked on it. I can use it like a slow cooker for chicken noodle soup or stew, like a griddle for pancakes or blintzes, like an electric skillet for hamburgers, etc. What I really like is the ability to set the thing to come on at 7:00 AM. The screaming teakettle is my alarm clock, and I can have pour-over coffee within seconds of becoming vertical!

Paula
Old 01-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Thank you!

Big shout out to all those great folks telling us of their experiences with the induction cookers. I think they are a great idea. Should I need to sear anything I would probably stick to my little Weber BBQ, and just do the carbs and veggies on the cooker.
Thanks again to all of you.
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Flygrrl

I also looked into the two burner however decided it would not fit my needs in our kitchen at home. As to the AS it will just be another tool in my kitchen, however, I am thinking it will be our primary means of coooking in the AS.

The one that i decided to purchase was the Volrath pro., a single burner It is expensive but not the most expensive and what sold be on it was the knob that allowed me to increase the power in very small increments, which is very hard to do on our electric stove at home.

I do agree if you are going to sear food it would make sense to do it outside to keep the odors down inside the AS as I am not sure the fan would work all that efficiently
Old 01-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Works great - faster at boiling water than the microwave.
DW really likes it!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Your old cast iron pots and pans work fine on the new wave, too, so you don't have to buy the new stuff unless you are concerned about weight (or simply want new 'stuff'). My Grandmother's old Dutch Oven with matching frying pan still see heavy use!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I love, love, love my portable induction cooktop! Lightweight and extremely pleased! We use outside for making pancakes, frying bacon, hamburgers, well...almost everything. We do use our Weber and love it as well, but I will sometimes cook the sides on the induction or if we are traveling from place to place and just staying the night somewhere, it is pretty quick and very easy cleanup to take out the induction cooktop.

Laura & Tom