Old 01-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I bought a Duxtop model after going to a rally mini workshop on induction portables. They were actually selling Max Burton brand but I applied my newfound knowledge to shop and save a a few dollars. They are great but the wattage is critical for it to perform as advertised (cook faster, boil sooner). There are 1300, 1500 and 1800 watt portables out there and they are priced accordingly. (that info from the workshop) They all are heat safe with no super hot surface. I learned quickly that mine has two modes heat and temp. Interestingly when you use the thermostat while on heat, the numbers change but it is actually disabled- it is for full blast boil water, etc. HEAT. By the reviews that confused quite a few purchasers as they assumed it operated like a regular stove- set the number, etc. The other mode is for controlled temp. Also, mine does not allow for any pan. In fact, I went through four different pans before finding something that worked on it- even those marked induction (two anyway) did NOT work. The magnetic field has to have enough mass to work. Cast Iron works as does AllClad and others with heavy bottoms- I found. I even did a published temperature test on the thing with boiling speed. Very HOT technology! I have used it at the kitchen outlet and also on the outside awning side outlet. The induction cooktop and the flash oven are most likely what will replace future home cooking- IMO. I am MORE impressed by the oven which is simply like a toaster oven but with no preheating for ANY item and about 35% faster cooking.
Attached Images

2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Portable Induction Cooktop

My induction portable cook top (Max Burton brand model 6200) is great. It is rated in the top 3 for best portable induction cook tops. Here is the review:
"This deluxe induction cooktop by Max Burton has a 1800-watt motor providing 10 power levels and 10 temperature settings ranging from 140 to 450. Equipped with digital display, push buttons, Max 6200 also has a 180-minute timer and automatic shut off feature.
Users favor it for its safety features such as overheat sensor, in line fuse, and cookware detector. It has finer control for very low temperatures and is great for every kind of food."

I use it all the time. Mostly outside.

Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I greatly appreciate all of the info on induction countertop ranges. Our new induction cooktop came yesterday. It is the Vollrath Mirage Pro 1800 watt countertop range. I justifeid it by saying I can use it on the AS and also in the home as an addition to our electric range. I told Claire I needed to to test out induction before we bought a new stove to replace our electric smooth top.

I have used it twice once for spagetti and once for making steel oats oatmeal. I can honestly say it brings water to a boil quickly, however, it may take a while to learn the various temp settings.

I also found out that my cuisart pans are not compatible however our all-clad pans are. I will just have to remember to bring one or two when traveling. In the end I beleive I am going to enjoy cooking on it just need to find a place to put it.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cheap & gudenuf

I surely looked at the really good induction burners before I bought the cheapo cheapo Nu-Wave ones.

My thinking? Disposable if I decide I don't like it, or if it blows up after six uses. So far, I have one that survived a rollover wreck and two more I bought because I thought that the one that went through the wreck was getting ready to die. (took the bottom off - a piece of trash fell out of the fan - problem cured).

Airstreamers generally have a bit more money and loads more taste than the average RV user - and we like a certain style and elan with everything. But I wouldn't carry Gray Poupon unless I really liked the flavor better than Gulden's... and sometimes the less expensive option is just fine. I plop my Nu-wave into a wicker waste basket when I travel. If I'd spent $400 for one, I'd have to do way better than that. And mine is only 1200 watts - so it doesn't heat water quite as fast or blow the 30 amp breaker if the heat pump comes on. And the Nu-waves are LIGHT. Weight adds up, and I'm always finding that more wants to come IN than wants to go out of the Airstream - so while I must continually fight the hoarding gene... I can make a few intelligent choices here and there. One is that I never need more than 3 rolls of paper towels or 4 rolls of "bathroom stationery" at a time. Goodbye Sam's Club and Price Costco.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote