Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have read and posted on the older thread but thought I would also post here. I want to replace my Coleman stove as it is to difficult to control the heat. I would like to replace it with a portable gas grill that I can control the heat to cook pancakes, eggs and bacon. I will also want to use it to BBQ ribs etc and grill steaks and hamburgers. I cannot do this all of this with my Cobb grill as it takes to long to light in the morning and to difficult to control the heat for BBGing
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This is my backup to the Cobb or visa versa. It can either use the little bottles or with the proper hose large bottles. Plenty of easily controled heat. Solid cast iron cooking surface. Bought mine on sale off Camping Worlds discount table (open box).

O-Grill - Pro-Ioda O'GRILL - Gas Grills - Camping World

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/de...A#.VZlWSflVhBc
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
There are a lot grills out there for me to review so it will be fund searching for it. I forgot about the small traeger however I taken it off the list because it needs electric and I want to more mobile
Old 07-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I apologize for posting this on two threads however I am really looking for input and am not sure if everyone is reading both threads.

I also have an induction one burner and it works great however I am looking for something that does not use elecric but can multitask ie cook ribs, pork butts, steaks at night and eggs bacon and pancakes in the morning.

I have seen some portable grills that are infrared but I have never used one. does anyone have experience with them and if so how do you like them?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
I am interested in the same topic...so hope others will respond with their favorites. Is it too much to ask for a portable grill that "does it all"? I seem to recall previous posts in which folks praised the "Q" grills, which I think are made by Weber. But are they mainly just for grilling....or could you add a griddle to do breakfast?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Good thread.

With our 44' Classs A motorcoach we've been using the little Weber Smokey Joe with mesquite charcoal. It sure makes a tasty, smokey flavored steak! But now, with the switch to an Airstream, we are considering a gas grill, just for ease of use.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I am going to look at the TEC Cherokee. It is an infrared grill that gets rated very high ( normally in the top ten of infrared grills). Not sure if it will do all that I want (breakfast) and it is one of the most expensive portable grills out there. There are other infrared portables out there by Magma, Solaire and Napoleon that are also very good and about half the price. These all use propane

As to the Q grill, O grills or even the one made by Napoleon, a Canadian Company, are all pretty good and have quite a following. They are not infrared but they all use propane so one does not have to wait to long for them to heat up.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Love the volcano 3 grill. It does it all for me in a small package...
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have read good things about the Volcano and will have to look into it further.

I only wish i culd these grills the way Pharmgeek tested his chairs.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Smile

Sounds like a good rally activity idea - Cooking and trying different peoples' grills!

bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntex View Post
I am interested in the same topic...so hope others will respond with their favorites. Is it too much to ask for a portable grill that "does it all"? I seem to recall previous posts in which folks praised the "Q" grills, which I think are made by Weber. But are they mainly just for grilling....or could you add a griddle to do breakfast?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
I posted earlier in this thread about O-Grill experience as being very good. We are on our second O-Grill after 5 years using original. This grill for us, works great! We are a bit more diligent this time, and line the inside with foil, to help keep clean. We also wipe down before putting away, which we did not do with our first O-Grill. This time we also purchased the O-Grill folding table; we set it up next to front of AS and plug in 15' hose with quick disconnect to our propane connection on the AS. These O-Grill folding tables can be found on line for $35 (used) to upwards of $100+! You don't need the table or the carrying bag, but we found both to be pretty handy with this grill.

As for cooking breakfast with griddles on the O-Grill, I suppose you could do that; we have not tried. Keeping the top closed after lighting helps heat up the grill and also is used to cook your food when closed. Not sure how it would work if left open with griddle on it...may take a little longer too get up to temp?

We have 2 separate cooking units we use for breakfast, depending on if we need 1 burner or 2. (we typically try to cook most everything outside if possible)

1) Coleman Triton 2 burner propane. We found a nice one at a garage sale for $20.00 with naugahide carrying case. It's small enough to fit in our Rubber Made camp bin container. New I have seen for $75 on sale.

Coleman - Triton Series InstaStartâ„¢ 2-Burner Stove | Two burner camp stove | Coleman - Tritonâ„¢+ Propane Stove

2) Single burner butane cartridge stove. We use this handy little unit primarily for breakfast with single fry pan 80% of the time. If we are hooked up to electric, we use electric percolator inside, and this unit outside. It has a nice case, and uses the butane cartridges, which last pretty long time. It is also pretty cheap new~ $11-$12.00!

Portable Gas Stove | Butane Burner with 1 Range

Hope this helps...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

Astoria , Oregon
I have a weber Q grill for my home and one for my airstream. There is a weber grill plate you can purchase to cook breakfast, or as I did purchase a grill plate (Nordic-ware) at Costco or online that I can use on the Q Grill or on the stovetop in my airstream. I have cooked Traeger recipe's on my Q grill on low and they have turned out great.

~Practice Random Kindness and Senseless Acts of Beauty~
KathyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Newmarket , Ontario
I have a volcano 3 grill for my new 27FB Airstream and just completed a 2 week shake down. I currently remove one of my 20 lb aluminum propane bottles and take it to the picnic table where I cook supper. I also have one of the adapters that allow me to use a one pound cylinder in a pinch.

Has anyone used their volcano with the LP port on the Airstream? If so did you remove the small regulator from the volcano hose? I would appreciate hearing what parts you needed to make it work and how long a hose you used versus the pig tale that Airstream packs in the new trailers.

Thanks

Mike
Newmarketca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Well I went out and purchased the TEC Cherokee Portable Infrared Grill and have been trying it out at home. So far I really like it. It does get hot. In fact significantly hotter then my Cobb Grill which no doubt will migrate to one of my children's home.

To date I have cooked hotdogs, chicken breast (bone in), hamburgers and corn-on-the-cob. The skin on the chicken was very crisp. Next I will try ribeyes.

Unlike my other grills this heats up extremely quick (about 10 minutes and it is above 700 degrees). Then you can adjust the heat to medium or low (about 300 degrees). Because it does cook faster I have found you must watch it closer then my other grills because it does cook faster. I am looking forward to taking it camping in a week or two
Old 08-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I've used the Weber Q1000 for many trips now, and have been very happy with it. The AS has a propane outlet for grilling, but I find it more convenient to just put the Weber on the tailgate of the truck with its own propane container. A 16 oz propane container has lasted us more than a week, grilling almost every night. I keep a spare on hand and replace it as the one in use runs out. The Q1000 is about the right size for 2-3 people.

It has a convenient disposable aluminum drip pan to catch grease. I thought when I bought the unit that I would be replacing the drip pans quite often, so I bought a dozen or so of them. Actually, I find that almost every morning they have been cleaned by small furry creatures or leprechauns, perhaps, so I hardly ever replace them. Wouldn't recommend doing this in bear country, though!

The only problem I've had with it, and it's a significant one, is that one time the heavy metal grills vibrated down into the propane burners while we were traveling and completely wrecked them. The damage was significant enough that I just replaced the whole unit. Now, when I travel with my new grill (the same model) I remove the heavy metal grills and pack them in a separate box. A little messy, but it's the only thing I can figure out.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Costco has a new stainless portable. About $100 Just bought one, solid. Haven't cooked on it yet.
+1 on the Costco grill.

I use it all the time and it's much better than my Weber Q for design reasons I've detailed in the other thread.

Also many times cheaper. I bought for $100 as well in store but it's $90 online. For stainless that's a bargain. If it ever breaks and you're still a Costco member, money back guarantee.

http://www.costco.com/NXR-2-Burner-P...100284426.html
elgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:32 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Is it too much to ask for a portable grill that "does it all"?

IMO that is a tough question to answer because it will depend on what you like to cook and for how many campers. Over the years I have gone from the coleman two burner stove, the Cobb Grill and now the TEC Cherokee Infrared grill. They all worked well however I like the TEK best because it gets very hot and I can also cook bacon and eggs, Does it do it all? No as I also love to BBQ and smoke foods and to do that, again IMO, you need wood and low heat (of course you could use the fire pit but that takes very close monitoring).

The closest grills I found capable of cooking low and slow and also reaching temps of 400 degrees or more was the mini-green egg, the small green egg or a portable pellet grill. However, I found the mini to small and the small green egg was a tad to heavy to lug around. I did find one or two pellet grills but again they did not meet my needs as one I thought was overpriced for the build quality and the other was a tad to big to fit in the bed of my truck with the bed cover closed. Also the pellet grill requires electrical power so you would either need shore power or a genertor to use it.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Agree with urnmor re the small and mini green eggs. We carried the small green egg with us for a number of years until it became to heavy. We now keep it at a permanent location that we visit. We now use the mini egg while traveling, but as stated, it has limitations. We're learning to live with them and still think, for is, the egg offers the most options for the way we cook on the road. In the end, it's what works for you, not what most people think is best. Just MHO.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
try the Volcano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Is it too much to ask for a portable grill that "does it all"?

IMO that is a tough question to answer because it will depend on what you like to cook and for how many campers. Over the years I have gone from the coleman two burner stove, the Cobb Grill and now the TEC Cherokee Infrared grill. They all worked well however I like the TEK best because it gets very hot and I can also cook bacon and eggs, Does it do it all? No as I also love to BBQ and smoke foods and to do that, again IMO, you need wood and low heat (of course you could use the fire pit but that takes very close monitoring).

The closest grills I found capable of cooking low and slow and also reaching temps of 400 degrees or more was the mini-green egg, the small green egg or a portable pellet grill. However, I found the mini to small and the small green egg was a tad to heavy to lug around. I did find one or two pellet grills but again they did not meet my needs as one I thought was overpriced for the build quality and the other was a tad to big to fit in the bed of my truck with the bed cover closed. Also the pellet grill requires electrical power so you would either need shore power or a genertor to use it.
I have BGE at home and love it. The small BGE is heavy, and really does not cook much in surface. Take a look at the Volcano...we had experienced couple weeks ago at a friends campsite with steaks. I was so impressed, I just got mine from Amazon...look at the video on the site and see the flexibility...it will get to 400+ for sure because of the design...and it collapses for storage. I will post my experience using it next week after our camping trip to Glacier this week...
https://www.amazon.com/Volcano-Grill...GWPSK3VJV4HBHQ
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote