Old 06-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
You guys are kind of evil. I was OK with my little square portable weber/propane bottle grill, until I read this thread. Then I started thinking about all the times wind has put out the flame on the Weber, usually while I'm off doing something else, and having to relight it and tell my wife that dinner will be delayed. So I'm all set to pull the trigger on the Volcano, (size, light weight, multi fuel) when I see the Cobb again and hear that it's ready to go in ten minutes and can be washed in the sink. Like I said, you guys are evil.

Thanks for the great compliment: it takes a lot of extra work to achieve this kind of status.

One of the major issues for me is what fuel I want to use: I REALLY want to use charcoal or wood but generally that means more hassle and time setting up and monitoring the cooking process, cleaning, etc so I went with the Weber Q200 a few years ago. It works great...for propane, but may be too big for some people to transport. So far (2 meals) the Cook-Air has been very good but I have also been staring at the Cobb for a couple of years.

Cliff & Andrea,
2 cats, but they stay home
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #58
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by TerraYacht View Post
So far (2 meals) the Cook-Air has been very good but I have also been staring at the Cobb for a couple of years.
The one thing a Cobb doesn't do well is sear. So if you want your grilled steak to be done so rare that it's still begging for mercy, the Cobb is not for you.

Don't think of a Cobb as a grill, think of it as an oven with no thermostat, and you'll have an idea of its strengths and weaknesses in the cooking department.

I have a Cobb, and I do all of my outdoor cooking on it, but I don't presume that it's the right grill for everybody.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
i cook on a charcoal burner. Something I picked up at Lowes. Barrel shaped with barrel laying on its side. Yeah it takes a while to heat up and takes a while to cool down when it's all over, but WTH I'm on vacation. Time is not an issue and the results are worth the time. Lump charcoal lights faster than briquettes and burns out faster too. If I'm dutch oven cooking / baking I have briquettes on the go anyhow. What's a few more for the grill?
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member
2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
We got the Volcano Grill III + 12" GSI Anodized Aluminum Dutch Oven. We used it for the first time on our first family outing with our new AS and we were very happy with it.

It fit really easily under the bed compartment in it's carrying bag. We made a Costco-sized tray of pork shoulder in it using coals which we'd never done before. We left it cooking at the campsite and the hubby went back a couple of times to change out the coals. I was fearful the meat wouldn't be cooked through in time for dinner. It was more than cooked through. It was kind of extra toasty on the bottom and sides actually, but that was my fault because I gave him strict instructions not to open the lid. Pretty excited to use it more on our next trip. And I love this dutch oven that is not heavy at all. I don't think I would use the dutch oven much if it was heavy. It cleaned off really well and is nice and light.
LolaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #61
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have read and posted on the older thread but thought I would also post here. I want to replace my Coleman stove as it is to difficult to control the heat. I would like to replace it with a portable gas grill that I can control the heat to cook pancakes, eggs and bacon. I will also want to use it to BBQ ribs etc and grill steaks and hamburgers. I cannot do this all of this with my Cobb grill as it takes to long to light in the morning and to difficult to control the heat for BBGing
urnmor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #62
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This is my backup to the Cobb or visa versa. It can either use the little bottles or with the proper hose large bottles. Plenty of easily controled heat. Solid cast iron cooking surface. Bought mine on sale off Camping Worlds discount table (open box).

O-Grill - Pro-Ioda O'GRILL - Gas Grills - Camping World
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member
2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #64
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
There are a lot grills out there for me to review so it will be fund searching for it. I forgot about the small traeger however I taken it off the list because it needs electric and I want to more mobile
Old 07-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #65
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I apologize for posting this on two threads however I am really looking for input and am not sure if everyone is reading both threads.

I also have an induction one burner and it works great however I am looking for something that does not use elecric but can multitask ie cook ribs, pork butts, steaks at night and eggs bacon and pancakes in the morning.

I have seen some portable grills that are infrared but I have never used one. does anyone have experience with them and if so how do you like them?

Old 07-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
I am interested in the same hope others will respond with their favorites. Is it too much to ask for a portable grill that "does it all"? I seem to recall previous posts in which folks praised the "Q" grills, which I think are made by Weber. But are they mainly just for grilling....or could you add a griddle to do breakfast?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #67
Rivet Master
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Good thread.

With our 44' Classs A motorcoach we've been using the little Weber Smokey Joe with mesquite charcoal. It sure makes a tasty, smokey flavored steak! But now, with the switch to an Airstream, we are considering a gas grill, just for ease of use.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #68
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I am going to look at the TEC Cherokee. It is an infrared grill that gets rated very high ( normally in the top ten of infrared grills). Not sure if it will do all that I want (breakfast) and it is one of the most expensive portable grills out there. There are other infrared portables out there by Magma, Solaire and Napoleon that are also very good and about half the price. These all use propane

As to the Q grill, O grills or even the one made by Napoleon, a Canadian Company, are all pretty good and have quite a following. They are not infrared but they all use propane so one does not have to wait to long for them to heat up.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member
2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Love the volcano 3 grill. It does it all for me in a small package...
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #70
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have read good things about the Volcano and will have to look into it further.

I only wish i culd these grills the way Pharmgeek tested his chairs.