Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #43
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
We like our O-Grill

O-Grill

We hook it up to an external propane tank. We use it at home a lot too. Easy to clean. The legs fold up and you can get a carry bag. Comes in six colors. Roughly $130 in most places.

Kelvin
Yes, we are on our second O-Grill 500; we also got the carry bag this time and portable folding table.(found a used table on Amazon 1/2 price)
Works well and we purchased a 15' flexible gas line, and connect to the "quick disconnect" propane fitting on front of our AS. Very convenient.

We are intrigued now by the Cook Air mentioned in this thread....http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Air-EP-3620BK-Fired-Portable-Grill/dp/B00I058WKM
I love the reviews, except the negative ones about rusting out. Could be a storage issue (inside using storage bag vs leaving outside in weather?) Wonder also why they stopped making the stainless version...I saw the stainless model on line at Lows for $149 including shipping, but everywhere I read about that model, it says "discontinued"....wonder if it was quality of stainless? I could live with painted version; perhaps it is newer with better parts? I am a grill junky, I guess...but I do like the idea of using the hardwood (smoke), high heat, and flexibility of cooking with DC or AC or D-Cell batteries also.
Anyone out there have any experience with this one?


__________________

__________________
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #44
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 657
Cook-Air experience...dissapointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Yes, we are on our second O-Grill 500; we also got the carry bag this time and portable folding table.(found a used table on Amazon 1/2 price)
Works well and we purchased a 15' flexible gas line, and connect to the "quick disconnect" propane fitting on front of our AS. Very convenient.

We are intrigued now by the Cook Air mentioned in this thread....http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Air-EP-3620BK-Fired-Portable-Grill/dp/B00I058WKM
I love the reviews, except the negative ones about rusting out. Could be a storage issue (inside using storage bag vs leaving outside in weather?) Wonder also why they stopped making the stainless version...I saw the stainless model on line at Lows for $149 including shipping, but everywhere I read about that model, it says "discontinued"....wonder if it was quality of stainless? I could live with painted version; perhaps it is newer with better parts? I am a grill junky, I guess...but I do like the idea of using the hardwood (smoke), high heat, and flexibility of cooking with DC or AC or D-Cell batteries also.
Anyone out there have any experience with this one?


Update- I received the Cook-Air grill last week and have used it 3 times with steak & grilled artichokes, chicken, and fish. It does get quite hot, the fan keeps the flame going, it was easy to start, etc. I found it somewhat easy to use and it does cook fast. I tried Apple and Pecan wood chunks and was not pleased with the quality of smoke from either; The grill puts out a lot of smoke, but as some on Amazon reviews reported, the smoke became "black" at times, and unfortunately, the flavor of "smoke" just was not there in all three dishes, even though there was lots of smoke. The fan on high, also fluctuated a little... So, I am sending it back to Amazon today...will stick to my Webber charcoal grill for home and my O-Grill for AS camping...
__________________

__________________
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member
 
LolaT's Avatar
 
2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 73
Finding this thread very helpful as we are shopping around for a portable grill. We are very tight on space and weight with our new 23D and three kids. I want something that will store small and has some kind of bag.
We are looking at the O-grill, a Cabela's stainless steel grill, and the Volcano.

For those that use the Volcano Grill, how do you regulate the heat when using propane? And, does the propane adapter thing-y fit inside when it is collapsed down and stored in the bag? We would probably be using it mostly with propane.
__________________
LolaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member
 
2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 364
Hi,

I recently bought the Volcano. I have used it 5 times now and been happy each time.
The heat is regulated by a knob that is mounted on the hose assembly that goes between the volcano and the tank. The grill gets really hot so you can set the volume very low. It has a diffuser that gets inserted to spread out the propane some. I may end up adding another diffuser or a lodge trivet to spread the heat a little more.

The propane adapter does it inside when collapsed and it is stored in the bag. I have only used mine with propane so far.

I have cooked burgers, hot dogs, soup in a dutch oven, toast, stir fry in the dutch oven. It really does collapse down as far as they advertise that it does. The bag is nice. I also bought the fold up volcano top. That works very well also to contain the heat when cooking a soup.

I am very happy with the volcano. It fits in the luggage compartment of my Interstate with room to spare. I had a Weber Baby Q before but there is no way it would fit. The volcano is very worth the space it occupies.

If you haven't found it yet, the website is volcano grills.com. Cabelas sells them on their website - not sure if they have them in the store so that you could look at one first. Some Camping World sites may stock them.

Good luck with your decision!

Kate
__________________
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #47
Rivet Master
 
lsbrodsky's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,320
Anybody seen the new Lotus Grill made in Germany? I just bought one via Amazon. It uses hardwood charcoal and ethanol gel for lighting. It also as a 4 AA battery fan to speed up time-to-ready and control temp. Goes into a nice compact package. I am going to cook some fish on it, for the first time, tonight. If I really like this, it may supplant my marine propane grill on AS trips.
Larry
__________________
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:17 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member
 
TerraYacht's Avatar
 
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 333
I can fit the Weber Q200 in the back compartment but I was looking for something that would use "not propane" and ordered a Cook-Air from Amazon, uses wood chunks. I like the price and the potential high heat aspect. I would rather have my Big Green Egg but would need a trailer for that. Report next week. Amazon.com : Cook-Air EP-3620RD Wood Fired Portable Grill, Red : Patio, Lawn & Garden
__________________
Cliff & Andrea,
2 cats, but they stay home
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:11 AM   #49
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,083
The beauty of the Volcano is that you can use wood, charcoal or propane. We love ours and use it to cook all our meals.
__________________
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #50
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraYacht View Post
I can fit the Weber Q200 in the back compartment but I was looking for something that would use "not propane" and ordered a Cook-Air from Amazon, uses wood chunks. I like the price and the potential high heat aspect. I would rather have my Big Green Egg but would need a trailer for that. Report next week. Amazon.com : Cook-Air EP-3620RD Wood Fired Portable Grill, Red : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Not sure if you saw my earlier post above yours on Cook Air? We did return and got refund from Amazon, in case you were wondering. For us, the wood gets way too hot in this unit to produce smoke, and burns black smoke...we fiddled with the fan but could not get good results/ flavor after using 4 times total. I do enjoy smoked flavor. Problem with this unit was it seemed like a great idea, but for true smoked flavor, you really cant rush; you need slow cooking style with wet chips on charcoal or use wood chunks; when we got the grill hot like it says, the wood really burnt rather than smoked...you are not supposed to use wet soaked wood like you would in a smoker. We also have a Trager pellet smoker, a Green Egg, 2 Webbers, both gas and charcoal. Let me know how you like Cook Air...
__________________
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:34 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member
 
TerraYacht's Avatar
 
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not sure if you saw my earlier post above yours on Cook Air? We did return and got refund from Amazon, in case you were wondering. For us, the wood gets way too hot in this unit to produce smoke, and burns black smoke...we fiddled with the fan but could not get good results/ flavor after using 4 times total. I do enjoy smoked flavor. Problem with this unit was it seemed like a great idea, but for true smoked flavor, you really cant rush; you need slow cooking style with wet chips on charcoal or use wood chunks; when we got the grill hot like it says, the wood really burnt rather than smoked...you are not supposed to use wet soaked wood like you would in a smoker. We also have a Trager pellet smoker, a Green Egg, 2 Webbers, both gas and charcoal. Let me know how you like Cook Air...
early report: using wood I got the expected hot cooking surface. My infrared thermometer went out of range above about 900 degrees and I did not get any smoke flavor the first time, but it was fast.

I have a nice collection of mesquite charcoal chips that I will put on top of the fire next time near the end and put the cover on with a slow fan to see if I can add some flavor, may try the charcoal sooner in the process since it usually smokes as it get started.
__________________
Cliff & Andrea,
2 cats, but they stay home
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:18 AM   #52
Rivet Master
 
Roadrunner's Avatar

 
1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 667
Blog Entries: 7
Cobb Grill

We have been looking for some time for the "perfect" grill. Our standby for years has been the Coleman propane cookstove. This is great for outside cooking but really doesn't give you the true grill taste. We have tried portable propane grills over the years but really were looking for a compact charcoal grill. After reading reviews on the Cobb Grill, we decided to give it a go.

Our grill arrived on Saturday, purchased through Amazon. Yes it is not cheap but has the quality and features other grills lack. It is the perfect size for camping and we have used it twice this weekend at home. Unlike most grills, the Cobb completely breaks down and can be cleaned in your kitchen sink. The stainless steel construction is not only functional but looks good too. By design it can be picked up while in use and moved. If you purchase the entire system, you will receive a flat griddle surface, wok style pan, and other accessories.

The grill is very easy to light...put a firestarter in the coal pan and cover with 10 charcoal briquets. In 20 minutes you are ready to grill. Best of all...you get the charcoal grilled taste. Add some hickory or mesquite and you get real smoked flavor. To date we have done salmon...and burgers/hotdogs. Boy...now I'm getting hungry. I would highly recommend this grill...

Bob "Roadrunner"
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	239720  
__________________
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:55 AM   #53
Rivet Master
 
Skater's Avatar
 
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,343
We're going through this right now for our camper's propane grill.

We have an older (~10 years) Weber Go-Anywhere. My biggest gripe with it over the years is a lack of a good stand for it. We've tried a couple different options, but none have really been great - it just slides on plastic tables (unsafe), and one of those folding tables with the slatted aluminum top didn't work very well, either, unfortunately. I tried spraying the grill's legs with that stuff you spray on tools to help the grip, but it rubbed off pretty quickly. Usually I just use the grill on the table at the campsite, but there are enough times where I want to set up the grill and have nothing other than the ground.

Recently, I noticed our spreader plate has rusted out and is collapsing, making it a bigger issue - our trusty Weber is wearing out.

The reviews on the new Weber Go-Anywhere gas grills are not good - apparently they went cheap during the last revision. We could order a new spreader plate (~$25 with shipping) for ours... But still the stand issue.

We looked at the Weber Q-series grills, and a couple others, and we came to the conclusion that they're not very portable. Of course, our biggest problem is the 10.5" tall opening in the back of the Airstream where we keep it, but even that aside, those Weber grills don't seem easily portable to us, because they're heavy, large, and awkward. At least, they're nowhere as easy as our trusty Go-Anywhere is. We had the same impression of a few other brands. Terrible design flaw for a "portable" grill.

Last night we ordered a discontinued Char-Broil that sells for $25 on Amazon to get us through for now.
__________________
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #54
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
We're going through this right now for our camper's propane grill.

We have an older (~10 years) Weber Go-Anywhere. My biggest gripe with it over the years is a lack of a good stand for it. We've tried a couple different options, but none have really been great - it just slides on plastic tables (unsafe), and one of those folding tables with the slatted aluminum top didn't work very well, either, unfortunately. I tried spraying the grill's legs with that stuff you spray on tools to help the grip, but it rubbed off pretty quickly. Usually I just use the grill on the table at the campsite, but there are enough times where I want to set up the grill and have nothing other than the ground.

Recently, I noticed our spreader plate has rusted out and is collapsing, making it a bigger issue - our trusty Weber is wearing out.

The reviews on the new Weber Go-Anywhere gas grills are not good - apparently they went cheap during the last revision. We could order a new spreader plate (~$25 with shipping) for ours... But still the stand issue.

We looked at the Weber Q-series grills, and a couple others, and we came to the conclusion that they're not very portable. Of course, our biggest problem is the 10.5" tall opening in the back of the Airstream where we keep it, but even that aside, those Weber grills don't seem easily portable to us, because they're heavy, large, and awkward. At least, they're nowhere as easy as our trusty Go-Anywhere is. We had the same impression of a few other brands. Terrible design flaw for a "portable" grill.

Last night we ordered a discontinued Char-Broil that sells for $25 on Amazon to get us through for now.


It is frustrating for sure. We went back to the O-Grill after searching also. It does fold pretty nicely and fit into bag. The table really is nice also. So, we have a bag of O-Grill, and folding table, which we keep in back of F-150. Fairly easy and we too, connect to the QD propane line...works well so far...still, I do miss charcoal, but the O-Grill is fast and easy...I can always cook in the fire pit at most campsites if I want to.
__________________
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member
 
Millville , New Jersey
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 16
Anyone using a Coleman Roadtrip grill? Was curious to know how they fit in the storage compartments.
__________________
esloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #56
Rivet Master
 
Caffeinated's Avatar
 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 605
You guys are kind of evil. I was OK with my little square portable weber/propane bottle grill, until I read this thread. Then I started thinking about all the times wind has put out the flame on the Weber, usually while I'm off doing something else, and having to relight it and tell my wife that dinner will be delayed. So I'm all set to pull the trigger on the Volcano, (size, light weight, multi fuel) when I see the Cobb again and hear that it's ready to go in ten minutes and can be washed in the sink. Like I said, you guys are evil.

Mike
__________________

__________________
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BBQ grills mayco General Motorhome Topics 7 01-24-2014 07:54 AM
Propane grills for low pressure connection lakeviewerie LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 9 11-18-2012 06:22 AM
Replacing Onan for a portable generator Paul Daugherty Airstream Motorhome Forums 7 06-15-2012 08:43 AM
Portable Generator Marks Generators & Solar Power 35 10-07-2003 03:14 PM
Cleaning the portable water systems after use Silvertwinkie Fresh Water Systems 4 07-01-2003 03:46 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.