Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Thought I would offer this quick couple of thoughts about the Tec Cherokee grill as we have been using one for the past 6 months now.

First of all in spite of all Tec's insistence that their infra red system is faster cooking, we have found that this is hype for the most part. The design uses a special burner below a piece of ceramic (glass???) for the conversion to the "infra red" type heat that is their claim to fame. I am not a scientist but I can say it certainly gets hot! The heat is evenly distributed too. Heat distribution is much better than on our Magma Newport "infra red" grill (that grill can vary as much as 200 degrees from side to side depending on the gas setting). The other temperature related observation of the Tec is that you can actually lower the temperature more than most infra red grills. We get a nice temperature range of between 400 degrees and 800+ degrees measured at the grate.

I am not sure why Tec pushes the "food cooks in less time" thing as it simply is not the grills strong point. I cooked a lovely 2" thick pork chop on it this evening and It took more than 20 minutes to bring it to temperature. It was perfectly done though with a beautiful crust. We find that meat is in fact very moist when cooked on this grill just like Tec promises. I also added some cherry wood chips directly on the ceramic surface between the grates for a wonderful smoky flavored chop too.

So it cooks steaks, chops, seafood and burgers nicely.... what about asparagus or potatoes or kabobs? Well I find that these things are able to be finished nicely once you get accustomed to the higher than average heat. It does take awhile to figure it all out though. You will probably burn some meals until you learn that it takes constant vigilance to use this grill. The other thing to remember is that this is first and foremost a grill, not an oven. It is essentially designed for high heat, open cover cooking. No whole chickens here.

In the gripe column? Well the body of the grill is aluminum (see why I wanted to buy one in the first place?). As cool as this is and as much as it matches the Airstream theme, it is very difficult to clean. No conventional oven cleaner! There are products that clean without acids but they are slow and labor intensive...
I sometimes wish that Tec built it with a cover that would allow us to roast a chicken but I bet the heat is simply too high for that. This grill is not inexpensive either.

In the end, this will probably be used at home as a second or back up for days we are too lazy to light our Big Green Egg. It will also come with us when we are out with the Airstream for more than a quick evening. I did modify our Airstream with a propane port similar to the one Airstream has begun plumbing into trailers just months after ours was built and with a 20 foot hose the grill was a joy to have along on our trip south this winter.

By the way, if you are interested in one of these, the best price is had by purchasing from the manufacturer Tec directly. About $75.00 less than any price I found online. They also give you a two week trial where you can return it if you simply do not like it. They will even pay for shipping....

There, now that is my Tec Cherokee review.
Bruce

Old 05-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
Which Grill....that's a very sensitive question for many men...especially me! LoL For traveling, I have had the cheap propane grill from Wal-Mart, the expensive chrome grill which is nice looking, but does not cook better than the Wal-Mart grill (actually, the gas grills likely will all have same result!) I love charcoal grills, but gas is quick when traveling...if we have a fire in a fire pit, I use that when possible...nice smoke flavor, and no hassle. But we did purchase a nice Q1000 after lots of research...for 2-4 people, it travels well, works well if you keep it clean, and is not too big. (problem with a lot of the "portable grills".) As you know, AS does not have a lot of storage space outside, so I keep in the bed of the truck with my 2 camping gear boxes, portable screen room, and folding chairs...I got my son one for Christmas couple years ago, and he also likes it when tent camping...

Old 05-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Which Grill....that's a very sensitive question for many men...especially me! LoL For traveling, I have had the cheap propane grill from Wal-Mart, the expensive chrome grill which is nice looking, but does not cook better than the Wal-Mart grill (actually, the gas grills likely will all have same result!) I love charcoal grills, but gas is quick when traveling...if we have a fire in a fire pit, I use that when possible...nice smoke flavor, and no hassle. But we did purchase a nice Q1000 after lots of research...for 2-4 people, it travels well, works well if you keep it clean, and is not too big. (problem with a lot of the "portable grills".) As you know, AS does not have a lot of storage space outside, so I keep in the bed of the truck with my 2 camping gear boxes, portable screen room, and folding chairs...I got my son one for Christmas couple years ago, and he also likes it when tent camping...
I find it interesting that you find gas grills to be much the same. Some of the joy I get from cooking is figuring out the differences and strengths of the various designs.

Our Parker grill was probably the most similar to our Magma grill in that it had a single burner fed on one side and it was a smallish grill. When on low the propane feed side is the hot side when the grills are on high the opposite side is much hotter. We have owned other grills that had dual burners (great for both high searing heat and low heat for other foods all at once or even indirect heat for roasting...) one that had a u shaped burner and now the Tec with the glass/ceramic plate. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

It makes me happy when I get the results I am looking for when grilling and if you pay attention I believe many if not all grills can be made to perform well.

Our favorite all around grill is our Big Green Egg. It is simply way too big for Airstreaming, at least the way we do it....

I like all grills! Sometimes as much as I like the food we cook.
Bruce
Old 05-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
grills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I find it interesting that you find gas grills to be much the same. Some of the joy I get from cooking is figuring out the differences and strengths of the various designs.

Our Parker grill was probably the most similar to our Magma grill in that it had a single burner fed on one side and it was a smallish grill. When on low the propane feed side is the hot side when the grills are on high the opposite side is much hotter. We have owned other grills that had dual burners (great for both high searing heat and low heat for other foods all at once or even indirect heat for roasting...) one that had a u shaped burner and now the Tec with the glass/ceramic plate. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

It makes me happy when I get the results I am looking for when grilling and if you pay attention I believe many if not all grills can be made to perform well.

Our favorite all around grill is our Big Green Egg. It is simply way too big for Airstreaming, at least the way we do it....

I like all grills! Sometimes as much as I like the food we cook.
Bruce
Well Bruce, we are on the same page here...I have owned $5K grill with a $1K "searing" steak grill, 5 Webbers, 2 of which are gas, a cheaper Brinkman which only lasted 2 years in Texas...and 7 different smokers; natural charcoal, electric, gas, pellet, etc...I currently own Treger which has the pellets...works fine but the Green Egg is my favorite, for sure...just takes a bit more attention. I would say however, you may not want/ be able to, to bring along the Green Egg with your Airstream!! But, I have seen people bring along to tailgating in Austin! dedicated for sure!! I agree that if you just watch your food, they all can work fine...just that the charcoal or wood to me, certainly tastes the best...for traveling...a small efficient gas works pretty well after a long day driving...
Old 05-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #33
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I've used a Volcano Grill since 2002. My Army detachment used it while deployment overseas. Passed it on to the team that replaced us. Got one for the family in 2008. When was VERY windy and the propane Webers and Olympias were getting their flames blow out the Volcano keep going. I had to cook over folks meat because their stove was flaming out. A 12" or 10" Dutch Oven fits inside and the charcoal last longer.
You can have small wood camp fire with it.
Volcano grills
Old 05-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
grills

Quote:
Originally Posted by halimer View Post
I've used a Volcano Grill since 2002. My Army detachment used it while deployment overseas. Passed it on to the team that replaced us. Got one for the family in 2008. When was VERY windy and the propane Webers and Olympias were getting their flames blow out the Volcano keep going. I had to cook over folks meat because their stove was flaming out. A 12" or 10" Dutch Oven fits inside and the charcoal last longer.
You can have small wood camp fire with it.
Volcano grills
Just to be clear, I have a Treager, Green Egg, 3 Charcoal Webers, 2 Weber Genesis models, plus a "mini Weber charvoal...still use Brinkman smoker "shell" to cook over my "burn piles" in MT....throw in a seasoned "aluminum wrapped" piece of meat or pork plus potatoes, and the shell works well.

However in an Airstream, the issue is space! Gas grills can take up least space (small bottles of propane; no charcoal)...plus, they are up and running quickly when you pull into camp site...there are Junior Webbers, cheap gas, etc...and there are the nicer grills if you want the hassle....I am sure Volcano is great, but look at the convenience and storage requirements of the grill...if you have a lot of time and great storage, a Webber or Volcano grill is maybe good choice...if a big rig towing, a Green Egg would do well also! (if it did not weigh so much...) LoL

If the goal is just cooking and your willing to "keep an eye" on the prize, most any gas or charcoal will do...Gas is convenient; with newer Airstreams, just need a connection to LP...or a small bottle of Propane.. liked my expensive chrome model, but this Q1000 works well...check out Google and ask the question "best grill for traveling" and see the posts.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
One of the Airstream guys in our informal NorCal gatherings brought a mini-Green Egg in the bed of his truck, made me jealous. I don't want to try and carry that inside my moho, both for stability and moving it around, so I use the Weber on the road. The BGE at home is the green standard after lots of different things over the years: gas, coal, back & forth, but now I'm pretty settled on the BGE. However, there are still some of those home-late-from-work evenings where gas would be nice, and I'm going to look at some of the suggestions for a supplemental home gas grill.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraYacht View Post
One of the Airstream guys in our informal NorCal gatherings brought a mini-Green Egg in the bed of his truck, made me jealous. I don't want to try and carry that inside my moho, both for stability and moving it around, so I use the Weber on the road. The BGE at home is the green standard after lots of different things over the years: gas, coal, back & forth, but now I'm pretty settled on the BGE. However, there are still some of those home-late-from-work evenings where gas would be nice, and I'm going to look at some of the suggestions for a supplemental home gas grill.
You may want to look at the Weber Genesis series...my research showed pretty good satisfaction rating, if the price point fits...I have been pretty happy last 4 years for my place in MT. I shopped on line, found a great price, and printed it out, took it to Home Depot and they matched it.

I also found Ducane, now owned by Weber, on line which was pretty good price also. Ordered it on Amazon, and it has worked fine past couple of years in Texas home. Texas is where I have the Green Egg, Weber 22" charcoal, and a 3 burner Ducane now...your right, the gas is convenient and allows some versatility by using a griddle on the burners for breakfasts, vegies, etc. without heating up the kitchen in those hot Texas days...
Old 10-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
We like our O-Grill

O-Grill

We hook it up to an external propane tank. We use it at home a lot too. Easy to clean. The legs fold up and you can get a carry bag. Comes in six colors. Roughly $130 in most places.

Kelvin
Old 10-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I use a Volcano 3 collapsible.It is my go-to Airstream grill.
Charcoal,wood and propane.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Sherrif1
I just saw the Costco grill for a hundred bucks! Let me know how it works.... Would love to buy the grill from Costco!
Thanks
Old 04-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Fair Oaks , California
I'm a big fan of Weber grills. I've used them at home for more than 30 years (Genesis grills). For camping, our Weber Go-Anywhere grill is always packed in our AS. We've used it on all our trips for the last 14 years and it's still going strong (we did finally replace the grate and flavorizer bar last year). It's big enough for almost anything we would cook when camping, it runs on standard propane canisters like our camp stove and lantern, and it packs down into a small space. I keep it in the original box it came in when we purchased it.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:24 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Has anyone seen/tried the Cook-Air? It looks like I can stay with wood/charcoal and be as fast as my travel Weber. http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Air-EP-36.../dp/B00I058WKM
Old 05-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Has anyone seen/tried the Cook-Air? It looks like I can stay with wood/charcoal and be as fast as my travel Weber. Amazon.com : Cook-Air EP-3620BK Wood Fired Portable Grill, Black : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Although I amnot in the market for a new grill I did read the reviews on Amazon for this grill. I personally would not purchase it based on the negatives, smell/odor, poor construction etc. Again this is just my opinion from reading the reviews on Amazon.