Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Oven use???

Is the oven option a useable option?? Would the storage drawers be of better use??

I have found two International 30 Airstreams that are configured with either. I just don't know what tends to be the better choice.
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
There are 2 schools of thought. Those that never eat in there trailer and those that do. Only you will be able to determine which camp, a play on words, you are in.

When I was looking for my trailer I saw several older trailers that had never had the stove turned on. Those trailers also did not have an oven. My wife would not ever consider them.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
We wouldn't even consider a trailer without an oven! We cook/prepare 99% of our meals when traveling. Goodbye Denny's and Applebee's!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our trips are long so we don't eat much differently than at home. We like the gas oven, especially if without hookups. If you use the oven at home, you may want it when traveling. I think you can answer your question best.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I'm in the pro-oven camp. I use the galley the same way as my kitchen at home and I do a lot of roasting and baking, so the oven is absolutely necessary.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
I'm definitely a oven user at home so I'm certain it would be used. I know there are plenty of people that have them just wasn't sure if they ended up using them as planned.

While I'm new to the RV community I think my current situation allows me the freedom to move about on my time line. I want to plan my order/purchase as best informed as I can be. I thank all of you for responding.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am cheap and would rather make my own food. Nothing like home made pizza in the oven. Cooking and camping go together. Why have the expensive trailer and not be able to cook in it. There are times that a toaster oven will work just as well. The Magic Chef ovens will heat a trailer up in a hurry if you are camping in the summer. When it comes time to replace my stove, I will probably replace it with another 4 burner with oven range. Actually 3 burners would be better since there is not enough room for 4 in that small of a space.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I looked in the parts books for the 2013 and 2014 three trim level of 30-31' models. The blasted microwave is in the center stack beside the sink. The drawer stack is on the right with a cooktop on top. Then you find out that the gas oven can only be in place of the kitchen drawers. The base microwave can only be upgraded to a convection microwave. If one boon dock camps, there is no electric power for a micro wave or convection oven. Thus the need for a gas oven.

We wanted the gas oven and the kitchen drawers. There was no way unless we ordered the trailer and rip the kitchen apart in a custom shop and build it back the way we wanted it.

That is why we ordered the 27FB Classic that came with the gas oven and the kitchen drawers.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
I also like having the oven and 3 burners. I prepare a lot of our food for traveling/camping in advance and freeze all kinds of casseroles in small disposable stackable aluminum casserole pans. I also freeze left over soup, chili, sloppy joes, etc. in sealing food saver bags which can freeze flat. Not only does the frozen food help keep the freezer temp down, but can easily take out casserole to pop in oven or food saver bag can be heated in pot of simmering water on the top. No mess with either to prepare or clean up.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumitater View Post
I also like having the oven and 3 burners. I prepare a lot of our food for traveling/camping in advance and freeze all kinds of casseroles in small disposable stackable aluminum casserole pans. I also freeze left over soup, chili, sloppy joes, etc. in sealing food saver bags which can freeze flat. Not only does the frozen food help keep the freezer temp down, but can easily take out casserole to pop in oven or food saver bag can be heated in pot of simmering water on the top. No mess with either to prepare or clean up.
Wow - love those ideas!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Cinnamon rolls in the morning are the best!
deecarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We would not be without our oven in our Bambi. We dry camp a lot so a propane oven is a must. We have roasted (using roasting bags so the oven stays clean), we have made pies at Thanksgiving, we have made pizza, cookies, biscuits, etc...just like at home .... and when we aren't using it, it's our bread box, so it's multi-functional for us. The Bambi does not have a microwave, so if we know we are going to have electricity, we often carry a small, inexpensive (very) microwave with us.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I looked in the parts books for the 2013 and 2014 three trim level of 30-31' models. The blasted microwave is in the center stack beside the sink. The drawer stack is on the right with a cooktop on top. Then you find out that the gas oven can only be in place of the kitchen drawers. The base microwave can only be upgraded to a convection microwave. If one boon dock camps, there is no electric power for a micro wave or convection oven. Thus the need for a gas oven.

We wanted the gas oven and the kitchen drawers. There was no way unless we ordered the trailer and rip the kitchen apart in a custom shop and build it back the way we wanted it.

That is why we ordered the 27FB Classic that came with the gas oven and the kitchen drawers.
I totally agree with the idea. I'd rather dump the micro than the oven. UGH....
Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
One of the many reasons we love our 34' is the usable galley. As somebody said above, cooking and camping go well together.

The microwave was the first appliance we got rid of when we started work on the silver beast (the TV was the second) but I consider a gas oven an essential. We're also beginning to get into Dutch oven cooking, but there's a learning curve.

Pre-cooking, freezing and heating up whilst camping are also real time savers. We often bring a couple of assorted pasta sauces and a stew or two for the freezer. Frittatas and Spanish omelettes travel well too. I would not recommend heating up food saver bags though, all kinds of nasties can make their way from plastic to food at high heat.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Is the oven option a useable option?? Would the storage drawers be of better use??

I have found two International 30 Airstreams that are configured with either. I just don't know what tends to be the better choice.
Look around -- there are dozens of oven threads.

The oven is indeed usable. I've used mine for roasts of various kinds, pizza, brownies, cupcakes, muffins, cake, pie, and so on.

Whether you will use it depends not only on whether you cook in the trailer, but also:

- Whether you travel to locations where it rains. (Most people cook outside if it isn't raining)

- Whether you do any boondocking (Most people don't really boondock, and if you don't, the convection oven will probably work out fine for you)

- Whether you use the oven in your stick house (Some people have a cooking style that doesn't require one)

I use mine on almost every trip but not everyone does.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Pre-cooking, freezing and heating up whilst camping are also real time savers. We often bring a couple of assorted pasta sauces and a stew or two for the freezer. Frittatas and Spanish omelettes travel well too. I would not recommend heating up food saver bags though, all kinds of nasties can make their way from plastic to food at high heat.

These are the bags we use:

Unlike other bags, FoodSaverŪ Bags can be simmered in water or microwaved (so you can reheat leftovers or pre-cooked dinners).

The bags are made of materials that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined to be safe for food use.

The bags are ideal for the freezer because they will keep all air and moisture out, preventing food from getting freezer burn and becoming dry and tasteless.

You can heat cooked foods, such as leftovers, in a FoodSaverŪ bag. The bags should never be used to cook raw foods. When microwaving, cut open a corner of the bag before putting it in the microwave so steam can escape. Avoid microwaving foods containing a lot of oil, as oil will get hot very quickly and could cause the sides of the bag to stick together.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumitater View Post
These are the bags we use:

Unlike other bags, FoodSaverŪ Bags can be simmered in water or microwaved (so you can reheat leftovers or pre-cooked dinners).
I stand corrected.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
All 3 of our Airstreams have (had) ovens, our 2 SOB's had them and we used everyone of them. 1 of the 'Streams and 1 of the SOB's have(had) microwaves and we hardly ever use it. Our 1st 'Stream didn't have a microwave so we tossed one in to use when we needed it, after a year we thru it away because we were tired of moving it.

We have a SOB toy hauler at work, no oven - just a stove top and microwave. More folks complain about the lack of an oven than folks who actually use the micowave.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
To upgrade the microwave in the center stack on the 30/31 models to a convection/microwave is a $404 option in the Classic models. The order form does not even mention installing the gas oven in lieu of the drawers, but the parts books do show the cabinet base that will hold the gas oven in in place of kitchen drawers.

So I am not sure if that swap becomes an extra charge option. Really lame.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Switz

The gas oven is standard.

Ordering the convection oven deletes the gas oven and adds the drawers.