Old 09-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Is the oven option a useable option?? Would the storage drawers be of better use??

I have found two International 30 Airstreams that are configured with either. I just don't know what tends to be the better choice.
Look around -- there are dozens of oven threads.

The oven is indeed usable. I've used mine for roasts of various kinds, pizza, brownies, cupcakes, muffins, cake, pie, and so on.

Whether you will use it depends not only on whether you cook in the trailer, but also:

- Whether you travel to locations where it rains. (Most people cook outside if it isn't raining)

- Whether you do any boondocking (Most people don't really boondock, and if you don't, the convection oven will probably work out fine for you)

- Whether you use the oven in your stick house (Some people have a cooking style that doesn't require one)

I use mine on almost every trip but not everyone does.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Spanish Fort , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Pre-cooking, freezing and heating up whilst camping are also real time savers. We often bring a couple of assorted pasta sauces and a stew or two for the freezer. Frittatas and Spanish omelettes travel well too. I would not recommend heating up food saver bags though, all kinds of nasties can make their way from plastic to food at high heat.

These are the bags we use:

Unlike other bags, FoodSaverŪ Bags can be simmered in water or microwaved (so you can reheat leftovers or pre-cooked dinners).

The bags are made of materials that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined to be safe for food use.

The bags are ideal for the freezer because they will keep all air and moisture out, preventing food from getting freezer burn and becoming dry and tasteless.

You can heat cooked foods, such as leftovers, in a FoodSaverŪ bag. The bags should never be used to cook raw foods. When microwaving, cut open a corner of the bag before putting it in the microwave so steam can escape. Avoid microwaving foods containing a lot of oil, as oil will get hot very quickly and could cause the sides of the bag to stick together.

Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumitater View Post
These are the bags we use:

Unlike other bags, FoodSaverŪ Bags can be simmered in water or microwaved (so you can reheat leftovers or pre-cooked dinners).
I stand corrected.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #18

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
All 3 of our Airstreams have (had) ovens, our 2 SOB's had them and we used everyone of them. 1 of the 'Streams and 1 of the SOB's have(had) microwaves and we hardly ever use it. Our 1st 'Stream didn't have a microwave so we tossed one in to use when we needed it, after a year we thru it away because we were tired of moving it.

We have a SOB toy hauler at work, no oven - just a stove top and microwave. More folks complain about the lack of an oven than folks who actually use the micowave.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
To upgrade the microwave in the center stack on the 30/31 models to a convection/microwave is a $404 option in the Classic models. The order form does not even mention installing the gas oven in lieu of the drawers, but the parts books do show the cabinet base that will hold the gas oven in in place of kitchen drawers.

So I am not sure if that swap becomes an extra charge option. Really lame.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Switz

The gas oven is standard.

Ordering the convection oven deletes the gas oven and adds the drawers.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I ordered my '12 28' Intl with the microwave/convection combo. I hated it. The Sharp is overly complex (IMHO) and I found myself with manual in hand every time I wanted to cook something. And of course, if you had the Sharp you couldn't have the oven. SO, I figured out a way to have it all. I bought the drop in Amana oven at JC during Alumapalooza. As I measured the install, I found I had room for a Cuisinart micro/convection BELOW the oven. Granted, I'm on my hands and knees, but this works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	195481  
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I ordered my '12 28' Intl with the microwave/convection combo. I hated it. The Sharp is overly complex (IMHO) and I found myself with manual in hand every time I wanted to cook something. And of course, if you had the Sharp you couldn't have the oven. SO, I figured out a way to have it all. I bought the drop in Amana oven at JC during Alumapalooza. As I measured the install, I found I had room for a Cuisinart micro/convection BELOW the oven. Granted, I'm on my hands and knees, but this works for me.
Barry,
I gotta disagree about the Sharp. Yes it's complicated, but it works great! And it IS an oven.

These might help.
Amazon.com: TEKTON 7023 Deluxe Knee Pads: Home Improvement

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we seldom use our oven at home and only used the oven in our trailer a few times, but I wouldn't be without it. We were very fortunate that our trailer came with all three; Stove top, oven, and micro-wave. I believe that most trailers you get the stove top and either/or a micro-wave or oven, but not all three like mine.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Agree totally. I removed my Sharp combo unit (never could figure it out) and installed a micro in the cabinet above the stovetop. We then installed a toaster oven below the stovetop. When we boondock, which is rare, we can only use the stovetop which is fine for us. Given the choice, I would choose gas oven and microwave.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Annapolis , Maryland
I like the Sharp convection microwave. I ignore all the fancy options but have baked some good pastries in them (nothing fancy just store bought puff pastry filled with jam). I can't bake and boondock, but I think it's a good compromise. I use the m/w more than the oven at home, so I bet that's the best predictor of what you will want in your trailer.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Actually, the microwave is an option on the Classic 27FB and takes up 1/3 of the pantry. If a convection/microwave is ordered, then the gas oven leaves but the kitchen drawers remain.

On any of the non-bunk 30/31 models, the microwave is stock in the center cabinet with the sink on the left. The gas cooktop is on the right with kitchen drawers below. The factory order price sheet does not even refer to the gas oven. Selecting a convection/microwave just replaces the plain microwave in the center stack.

When checking the model 2013 and 2014 30/31 parts manuals for Flying Cloud, International and Classic models in the kitchen cabinet areas, there is NO center stack kitchen drawer option cabinetry. There is a right cabinet that can be fitted for the gas oven in lieu of drawers.

So we are contemplating what chinese firedrill would be required to bring a model 30 Classic trailer in with the kitchen drawers and then order the gas oven base and have a cabinet shop modify the center stack where the microwave is to accept the kitchen drawers from the original cabinet. When I see all the custom woodwork folks have done, this is nearly a no brainer, just takes $$$$.

It would seem to me that the 30/31 models have enought extra storage and load capacity to have a small counter top microwave plus the gas oven and drawers. The 2011 34' tri-axle Classic we saw had both microwave and gas ovens plus a drawer stack...

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Oven = toast! We use the oven all the time and would not be without it.

The micro-convection unit is great but you have to have an electric hookup to use it (or a big generator). Afaik, there is no way around the need for power when using it.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #28

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We've got the convection/microwave. In our trailer (picture below), it sits over the top of a food storage panty. The picture is my trailer new, with the slide out pulled in. We had some misgivings at first but we don't boondock so power is always available. I think the major issue of the convection/microwave is the fact that every thing has to fit on a spinning turntable. That means smaller square pans or pans which are round. Cooking is faster with the convection so you do have a learning curve there. On the other hand we never have been impressed with the gas ovens in our previous trailers. They seen to have a lot of variance in their thermostats.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB220012.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	195510  

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote