Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
Organizing the upper cabinets

Years ago in our 34’ we used Tupperware, modular type, for food storage. It worked well and I am considering purchasing some to use again as most all of the old stuff has died. Now we are In a 30’ and I am at a loss on how to organize.

Suggestions on how to organize food? I have a Classic with pantry, although I have asked my husband to remodel the pantry.

What about dishes? My oven stores the bakeware. I am taking bowls, cups, plates, etc.

Thanks,

Fran
twinkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you google this topic in the blue box at the top of your page, there are lots of threads here on cabinet organization, and some picture of modifications folks have made.

Maggie
Old 12-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I’d say part of it has to do with how much one travels. Trip length.

While I believe the TT ought to be self-sufficient (equipped on its own, not furnished in a home kitchen raid), there are still those little used items which will come from the house on some trips. That’s a permanent TT storage set aside. I’d rather not have to kick it out of the way on the floor (once used) all the rest of the trip.

I divide between daily, and then occasional use. At hand, versus out of the way.
Outdoor gear goes in a container in the truck bed. A “food processor” (I may not have one, but . . . ) can be stored anywhere in the TT if it isn’t used daily.

I start with the disposables. Front & Center. Graduate outwards from there.

I won’t claim to have a well-equipped or even well-used kitchen. Today. But on those times I’m motivated to consistently cook, this division serves well.

I know this division “seems” obvious, but digging thru ill-organized cabinets and pantry seems par for an RV. Too irritating for me. “Where” matter far more than “how”, at least at the beginning. Thus, what’s my worst state? Tired and dirty? Sick and alone? Just hungover? What are my tendencies in those states?

Put those items at the “easiest” place.

After that comes the particulars of each place.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:40 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkie2 View Post
Suggestions on how to organize food?

What about dishes? My oven stores the bakeware. I am taking bowls, cups, plates, etc.
Canned good stored as low as possible (nothing can fall off the floor), and can be tucked away in odd nooks and crannies that otherwise wouldn't be used for much. Handy hint for long-term stroage of canned goods— for canned goods with paper labels, tear off the labels and write the contents on the can with a Sharpie marker. That way you don't have to worry about labels coming off and ending up with mystery meals.

Save the pantry for stuff that's in jars or bottles, that are more likely to make a mess if they escape confinement during transit, and since the pantry is being remodeled, make sure it doesn't allow jars or bottles to escape. Boxed foods are lightweight and stack easily, and can go in overhead lockers.

Dishes and tableware should be stored near the sink or near the dining table (where they're cleaned or where they're used). Serving dishes should be stored near the sink or near the stove (where they're cleaned or where they're filled).

By the way, the microwave is an excellent place to store paper plates, bowls, spare paper towels, etc. while in transit. Assuming you have a microwave, that is.

And don't forget that unless you're boondocking many miles from civilization, you're never very far from a grocery store, because people everywhere have to eat, including people in the places you'll visit. So you normally don't need to store much food, unless you have regional favorites you can't find elsewhere, or unless you have dietary restrictions that require special varieties of food that are hard to find anywhere.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado

“Canned good stored as low as possible (nothing can fall off the floor), and can be tucked away in odd nooks and crannies that otherwise wouldn't be used for much.” - Protagonist

Read this and was immediately taken back to my youngster days in a nuke submarine. At the start of a Spec. Op., this how we stowed our canned goods. Yup, on the deck in the berthing compartments. We walked on our chow until it was consumed! Little off topic, but fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0189.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	300757  
Silverpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I simply built some shelves in to better be able to utilize the space. I found some hidden space on the end that became a little spice rack too...
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8CE98302-414F-4929-A235-9D6DEEA425F5.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	300758   Click image for larger version

Name:	0A84B590-03F2-4CE1-BE40-E836A004A22B.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	300759  

Name:	BD8E690F-9019-48A6-AC20-0BEC097AB37E.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	300760   Click image for larger version

Name:	D23993B4-5A12-4193-8968-9A3EA5904654.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	300761  

Old 12-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Hmmm... well in mine we have drwrs... and so we put the can goods at the bottom.. and lighter stuff further up... I saved all the old plastic mao jars.. and after cleaning 'em put things like oatmeal and other grains in them... and they can go up in the cab above the refrig... heat doesnt seem to bother 'em...

while plates, cups and all are kept at the kitchen area.. so its easy to grab a plate while your serving or dishing up...

Needless to say the refrig is also used to store things.. that can be kept cold... meats and even fruit can be put into the freezer area... and pulled down thawed out and used in meals...
As to pots and pans... etc... they are kept in the lower compartments too... so that everythiing that is used daily is within reach.. things that are used occasionally are kept in hide away places...
Manual items are used in camping.. and leave the elect acessories at home... that way you don't have to have the power on...
Pre making your meals and then putting them into zip lock bags or indivule container... is the way you can account and make up your meals... a week at a time... etc...

A good staple is the old beef stew in a can... chili and other soups are good to go too.. and as they said.. mark 'em so that if the label comes off.. you know what it is.. we also put the date purchased on thing.. so that we use the old stuff first...

Of course paper plates and all are nice.. but its not that hard to use real dinnerware... and wash 'em when done... just makes it more than basic... and when you cut things they don't leak through...

Once your out and on a trip or two.. you will know what you want and don't... by trial and starvation... grin...

Good luck...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
With regard to putting canned goods near the floor (as Silverpuller delightfully ridiculed), consider this:

Never put anything in an overhead cabinet/locker unless you're willing to have that item bounce off your head when you open the cabinet/locker. Because stuff in any storage space can become dislodged in transit, and may fall out when you open the cabinet door.

Metal cans can put serious bumps on your scalp if they fall out onto your noggin, so they never go overhead if I have a choice.

Heavy stuff (cast iron skillets, dutch ovens, pots and pans, portable appliances, etc. or anything that you need two hands to lift) never goes higher than waist height— or lower than knee height for that matter— so that you don't have to strain to lift them up from too low or lift them down from too high.

Of course, if you're young and healthy and physically fit, you can make up your own rules about where to put the heavy stuff. But as I get older and medical science has a more difficult time fixing the bits and pieces of me that fall apart, I pay more attention to the ergonomics and try to make things easier on myself.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:25 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I simply built some shelves in to better be able to utilize the space. I found some hidden space on the end that became a little spice rack too...

Bruce

This is an interesting mod. Materials used? How did you attach and what support system on exterior edges?
Old 12-12-2017, 06:29 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpuller View Post
“Canned good stored as low as possible (nothing can fall off the floor), and can be tucked away in odd nooks and crannies that otherwise wouldn't be used for much.” - Protagonist

Read this and was immediately taken back to my youngster days in a nuke submarine. At the start of a Spec. Op., this how we stowed our canned goods. Yup, on the deck in the berthing compartments. We walked on our chow until it was consumed! Little off topic, but fun.

Yup!
Old 12-12-2017, 06:30 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
With regard to putting canned goods near the floor (as Silverpuller delightfully ridiculed), consider this:

Never put anything in an overhead cabinet/locker unless you're willing to have that item bounce off your head when you open the cabinet/locker. Because stuff in any storage space can become dislodged in transit, and may fall out when you open the cabinet door.

Metal cans can put serious bumps on your scalp if they fall out onto your noggin, so they never go overhead if I have a choice.

Heavy stuff (cast iron skillets, dutch ovens, pots and pans, portable appliances, etc. or anything that you need two hands to lift) never goes higher than waist height— or lower than knee height for that matter— so that you don't have to strain to lift them up from too low or lift them down from too high.

Of course, if you're young and healthy and physically fit, you can make up your own rules about where to put the heavy stuff. But as I get older and medical science has a more difficult time fixing the bits and pieces of me that fall apart, I pay more attention to the ergonomics and try to make things easier on myself.

I agree. We currently have the cast iron stowed in the closet.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
If you google this topic in the blue box at the top of your page, there are lots of threads here on cabinet organization, and some picture of modifications folks have made.

Maggie

Thanks, Maggie! I try searching and end up with hundreds of threads to search through. Will do it when I have access to a computer and not just my phone.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I have a 1978 so no upper cabinet doors I prefer the cambers. I keep what I use in the trailer, crock pot, pots and 2 fry pans, coffee maker & electric kettle, plus a few dishes this all stays in the trailer, canned goods is stored under the bed. Since I travel with my cat we have lots of storage room.I will be heading South to LA after Christmas to meet other CareAVanners, if you come upon a 1978 31' A.S with #4610 being towed by a white GMC pickup, that will be me. Safe travels everyone, see you down the road, Bev
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I have a 25' Sovereign 1986 model and nothing heavy goes in upper cabinets anywhere in the Airstream. I want the lowest center of gravity should I have to make a quick lane change to dodge another vehicle or object in the road. I do have a complete set of white Corel dishware placed under the sink along with Cuisinart pots, pans and lids. Pots fit inside each other with Pampered Chef pads separating each so they don't scratch the surfaces. Lids give me fits though and they definitely don't go in upper cabinets due to weight. That is the second thing I considered, cabinets riveted to walls don't need much weight in them. Plastic wine glasses go in upper cabinet over stove and next cabinet over as well as the pantry. Ceramic coffee mugs go in the pantry also along with my stainless steel insulated mug. I use plenty of Chinet paper plates because I don't mind doing the dishes, they go in the fire! I know this doesn't cover actual food products but boxes of food items go over the fridge since I don't have a microwave.
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpuller View Post

Oh my goodness, hahaha. That makes two of us. A whole day spent handing cans down the forward hatch, we'd be walking on cans for weeks and God help anyone who had the lowest bunk!!!
Swrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Really depends on one's personal eating habits.

I do not eat a lot of canned/processed/packaged food, so have little to organize in that respect, other than coffee, tea, and dog food, which doesn't even fill the pull-out pantry. Spices are stored on oven hood (magnetized mini tins).

Fresh food is stored in the fridge (with lots of ice packets) and in a cooler enroute.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream spices.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	346170  
Old 03-14-2020, 08:42 PM   #18
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I did a video on this if it's helpful!

Find it here: https://youtu.be/9oeyVtCl0L0

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:48 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
North vancouver , BC
I discovered on our recent trip that our mugs, bowls, and cups all fit nicely in the small overhead compartment over the fridge. I think this compartment is pretty standard on recent model Internationals and Flying Clouds. This left the plates, stacked on their ends in a rectangular metal basket, in the cupboard above the dinette. The toaster, coffee maker, tea pot, bbq tools, and cereal boxes also fit nicely above the dinette. The remainder of the food was stored in baskets above the sink and stove (although I am going to show my husband the shelves pictured up thread!) Most canned goods, extra cereal, chips, popcorn, soda etc is stored in the cupboard under the dinette. Plastic containers and other miscellaneous stuff in the drawer under the dinette. Dog food and treats in the compartment under the fridge and the large bag of dog food (I refill a small container for in the trailer) is kept in the truck. Pots and pans and kettle are under the sink with cast iron frying pans stored in the oven.
Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:13 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post

Bruce

You inspired me with your awesome mod! Yours is definitely superior craftsmanship. I am proud of it nonetheless. Thanks for the inspiration!

[/ATTACH]
[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8848.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	363586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8852.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	363587