Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2003, 07:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Organizing the kitchen

Hi all,

I am going to be spending some time this weekend and next week preparing for our maiden voyage in our 'new' Overlander next weekend. This is our first experience with a TT so I have some silly questions:

1) Where do you put your larger kitchen necessities - dishes, bowls, wine glasses, etc. (yes, wine glasses (plastic) are a necessity for us!!)

2)What do you put in the overhead cabinets?

3) Do you stock your fridge before leaving? How do you keep everything from rolling around?

Thanks!

Cyndi
cykakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1) Where do you put your larger kitchen necessities - dishes, bowls, wine glasses, etc. (yes, wine glasses (plastic) are a necessity!!)

We don't find wine glasses, or wine, to be necessary, or even desirable, but I do like real glass plates and drink glasses. My wife took a small cardboard box and made simple cardboard dividers sized to hold the glasses in place. The plates are separated one from another by a piece of that non-skid shelf liner.

2)What do you put in the overhead cabinets?

Very little, so far. Blankets and towels over the bed, cereal and snacks over the galley, dinnerware and glasses over the refridgerator. Most of them are empty.

3) Do you stock your fridge before leaving? How do you keep everything from rolling around?

We not only stock the refridgerator, but when it is empty that is our clue to come home. Everything will migrate to the front of the coach, so place items in the fridge accordingly.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:52 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Galley organization

For wine glasses, my wife gave me last Xmas two lexan glasses from REI. They are unbreakable and the stem unscrews from the bowl and nests inside the bowl. They take very little space when stored in this manner.

I have all my hiking gear under a seat. We put our wine in there and cushion the bottles with soft things such as my pack. I do intend to put a 2 or 3 bottle rack on top of the refrigerator when time permits.

Heavy stuff goes low. I have some expensive cookwear for the reason that good stuff cleans up easier. Under the sink, I have all the baggies, foil, plastic wrap, etc. I was able to make a pocket off to the side where I can stuff plastic grocery bags. These are indispensible for garbage and for unloading the refrigerator when we drop the trailer at the storage yard.

Glasses and dishes go in the upper cabinets along with things like measuring cups and coffee pot. We carry both paper plates and regular plates, plastic and regular cutlery. We often put a paper plate on top of a regular plate so that we can just throw away the mess rather than doing a lot of dishwashing.

I'm lucky to have a big Lazy Susan pantry for all the items that don't have to be cold. Again, heavy items like soft drinks go on the bottom shelf, condiments and such on the top shelf.

I put a rack on the end of the upper cabinet that holds 4 Chicago knives. We also carry can opener, bottle opener, wine opener, and measuring spoons.

I cool the refrigerator for at least 12 hours before leaving. I put in pre-cooled soft drinks and bottled water. We almost always carry steaks to cook out. The refrigerator is most efficient if it is fairly heavily loaded; the thermal mass keeps it stable. One thing that helps is to put one of the battery-operated fans inside the refrigerator. They keep the temperature consistent top to bottom. Batterys last about a season. I set the fan on the bottom blowing upward.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 08:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for all of the advice, John!!

I found the wine glasses on the REI website...perfect! I am going to order them. The ones I have right now are a hard plastic from WalMart....they're too tall to fit in the overheads.

Hopefully the new ones will arrive before we leave next Friday.
cykakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:44 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Question

Pahaska,

Do you drive (tow) with your refridgerator on---running on gas? I am new to camping and do not know if I am supposed to turn it off when I drive, and what about when I fill up at a gas station

Thanks!
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:01 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Refrig on gas

Quote:
Pahaska, Do you drive (tow) with your refridgerator on---running on gas? I am new to camping and do not know if I am supposed to turn it off when I drive, and what about when I fill up at a gas station
Yes, absolutely I do. No other way to keep food in a 2-way refrig safe in Texas summer heat. Actually, I run it on gas while travelling all year round. I never run with it off except maybe in the last leg of a trip coming home or if I gas up very close to my destination.

There are a number of threads endlessly discussing the pros and cons. IMHO, that's what the refrigerator is designed to do and any risks are vanishingly small. Obviously, refuelling requires turning it off before moving to the pumps and turning it on away from the pumps.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:09 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Re: Refrig on gas

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska

Obviously, refuelling requires turning it off before moving to the pumps and turning it on away from the pumps.
Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks!
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Where do you put the wine glasses?

We like to drink wine, but not from acrylic or lexan glasses. Does anybody have a good way to store their wine glasses so they don't get broken while traveling?

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Post Wine, good! I'm hanging with you guys.

I also was a "real" wine glass kind of girl until I got sick of cleaning up the broken glass. I've switched to plastic ones I purchased from Campingworld, not beautiful but functional.

That being said I know of folks who wrap their glasses in bubble wrap or kitchen towels for travel. They tell me it works out great. I don't have a ton of storage space in my Airsteam so tacky plastic wine glasses work for me
plus I've switched to wine in a box when we are traveling. Black Box makes a decent white wine, check them out!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Kitchen towels! Now why didn't I think of that? Doug has said he will invent a wine rack for us that will keep the glasses safe, but he doesn't have the time for it now so the kitchen towels will be a good temporary solution.

I keep hearing about those boxes o' wine. Maybe it's time to give it a try. Not that I have any problem with keeping the wine bottle from getting broken -- they're not around that long.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
We have both kind of glasses. Keep the glass ones in the original box (4 pack)
Wine out of a Box!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:34 PM   #12
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Kitchen towels! Now why didn't I think of that? Doug has said he will invent a wine rack for us that will keep the glasses safe, but he doesn't have the time for it now so the kitchen towels will be a good temporary solution.

I keep hearing about those boxes o' wine. Maybe it's time to give it a try. Not that I have any problem with keeping the wine bottle from getting broken -- they're not around that long.
Thou shalt not drink wine from a box........
Old 05-20-2005, 07:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Ok, if you are at the Seaside Rally drop by

my Airstream and try Black Box - It's like Yellow Tail, Lindemans Bin 65 or Woodbridge Chardonnay in quality. I was also of the mind set that "thou shalt not drink wine from a box" until I read a Consumer Reports article on the new breed of boxed wine. It's not bad at all and it takes up very little room and does not break.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:31 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
With a 2005 30' Classic, we have the front credenza. It holds 12 bottles. I bought a wine glass storage thing from Target and use the dividers to neatly hold the bottles in place. For the Champagne glasses and wine glasses, I use insulated lunch boxes from Walmart. I wrap the glasses in dish towels and then use a bubble wrap to place the next layer of glasses on top. The lunch box provides another layer of support. I am trying to make a box, covered with soft suede, that will hold the glasses in place and go in the overhead credenza. We do have the lexan glasses too, but sometimes it's just nice to use the real thing.

Dishes and bowls go in the drawers under the stove. Light stuff on the overhead cabinets (paper towels, paper plates, etc.).

Sonia
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:47 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We have a magazine rack that does a dandy job holding wine bottles - 4 or 5 will fit.

If you must have glass wine glasses - consider stowing them on the fridge door. Many door have funny little fingers designed to keep small bottles in place - they do a great job on stemware.

Over head storage - we keep the light weight stuff up high. cereal, bread, clothes. Heavy stuff down low.

One good way to cut down on packing volume is to do away with plastic storage containers - e.g. tupperware - and use ziplocs instead.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 03:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
my Airstream and try Black Box - It's like Yellow Tail, Lindemans Bin 65 or Woodbridge Chardonnay in quality. I was also of the mind set that "thou shalt not drink wine from a box" until I read a Consumer Reports article on the new breed of boxed wine. It's not bad at all and it takes up very little room and does not break.
Only kidding! We have on occasion partook (is that past tense of partake or would it be partaked) Wine from a box, however we have not tried Black Box. Do they have a good Merlot or Shiraz??? Kinda partial to Red. Of coarse out acrylic glasses are Mickey Glasses.

We store our wine in a round open top basket wrapped in throw blankets.

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
About ten years ago, we hosted a group of Hungarian bankers (we've signed up to give hospitality to State Dept visitors) and to keep costs down, I ended up buying a box of merlot, which I kept in the kitchen and decanted into carafes. As it turned out, four of the six owned vineyards and actually knew a whole lot about wine. Midway through the evening, one of the women followed me into the kitchen and caught sight of the wine box. She called for the others and pretty soon the box had a crowd. The box was the most exciting part of the evening. They were so impressed, they called their schedule coordinator to ask if they could arrange a meeting with the company that developed the wine-bag-box technology!

They felt that the bag kept the wine fresher after opening. I'd think in a trailer it would also stop the wine from mixing with air when the trailer hits rough spots in the road. Since then, when folks poo poo wine in a box, I just smile and remember that the Hungarian wine experts thought it was better than a bottle!

Mary

PS--In Camping World, I saw some glass holders--essentially holes in soft foam (glasses would just sit in the holes snugly). These things were pretty expensive (like $20), but I don't think it would be terribly hard to DIY.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Thou shalt not drink wine from a box........
Of course, Uwe, you use a glass, directly from the box is so uncouth.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I read somewhere to use a tube sock (new would be better ) for each wine glass. A plus is if one DOES break, you can throw the whole thing away.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Top Storage Cabinets

Above the kitchen area I have two overhead cabinets. As you know they are not very large or deep.

I am putting in a second shelf about halfway up with 1/4" plywood using side shelf supports of 1x1". The left cabinet will have one all the way across. The right cabinet will have one 2/3's across with a ceiling mounted end. That will allow some taller glasses in that 1/3 section.

I use melamine plates that will stack on both levels as needed.

I have a CampingWorld knife rack that attaches to one of the base cabinet doors. (Liked it so much I put one in the house too.)

The pots are under the sink on the right side. Also installed a papertowel holder on one of the doors. The other door has a small waste basket that takes little white plastic bags.

I am interested in how others organize their kitchens!!

Have some of you used Industrial Velcro for the bottom of the 13" TV?
Thanks,
Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote