Old 05-20-2005, 11:47 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
We have a magazine rack that does a dandy job holding wine bottles - 4 or 5 will fit.

If you must have glass wine glasses - consider stowing them on the fridge door. Many door have funny little fingers designed to keep small bottles in place - they do a great job on stemware.

Over head storage - we keep the light weight stuff up high. cereal, bread, clothes. Heavy stuff down low.

One good way to cut down on packing volume is to do away with plastic storage containers - e.g. tupperware - and use ziplocs instead.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 04:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
my Airstream and try Black Box - It's like Yellow Tail, Lindemans Bin 65 or Woodbridge Chardonnay in quality. I was also of the mind set that "thou shalt not drink wine from a box" until I read a Consumer Reports article on the new breed of boxed wine. It's not bad at all and it takes up very little room and does not break.
Only kidding! We have on occasion partook (is that past tense of partake or would it be partaked) Wine from a box, however we have not tried Black Box. Do they have a good Merlot or Shiraz??? Kinda partial to Red. Of coarse out acrylic glasses are Mickey Glasses.

We store our wine in a round open top basket wrapped in throw blankets.

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
About ten years ago, we hosted a group of Hungarian bankers (we've signed up to give hospitality to State Dept visitors) and to keep costs down, I ended up buying a box of merlot, which I kept in the kitchen and decanted into carafes. As it turned out, four of the six owned vineyards and actually knew a whole lot about wine. Midway through the evening, one of the women followed me into the kitchen and caught sight of the wine box. She called for the others and pretty soon the box had a crowd. The box was the most exciting part of the evening. They were so impressed, they called their schedule coordinator to ask if they could arrange a meeting with the company that developed the wine-bag-box technology!

They felt that the bag kept the wine fresher after opening. I'd think in a trailer it would also stop the wine from mixing with air when the trailer hits rough spots in the road. Since then, when folks poo poo wine in a box, I just smile and remember that the Hungarian wine experts thought it was better than a bottle!

Mary

PS--In Camping World, I saw some glass holders--essentially holes in soft foam (glasses would just sit in the holes snugly). These things were pretty expensive (like $20), but I don't think it would be terribly hard to DIY.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Thou shalt not drink wine from a box........
Of course, Uwe, you use a glass, directly from the box is so uncouth.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
I read somewhere to use a tube sock (new would be better ) for each wine glass. A plus is if one DOES break, you can throw the whole thing away.

Dennis
Old 05-21-2005, 04:39 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Top Storage Cabinets

Above the kitchen area I have two overhead cabinets. As you know they are not very large or deep.

I am putting in a second shelf about halfway up with 1/4" plywood using side shelf supports of 1x1". The left cabinet will have one all the way across. The right cabinet will have one 2/3's across with a ceiling mounted end. That will allow some taller glasses in that 1/3 section.

I use melamine plates that will stack on both levels as needed.

I have a CampingWorld knife rack that attaches to one of the base cabinet doors. (Liked it so much I put one in the house too.)

The pots are under the sink on the right side. Also installed a papertowel holder on one of the doors. The other door has a small waste basket that takes little white plastic bags.

I am interested in how others organize their kitchens!!

Have some of you used Industrial Velcro for the bottom of the 13" TV?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-21-2005, 06:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I would also like to know how others stow there kitchens. I have been reading Wally's book, but the information is a little dated.
Since Lori and I do not drink any "adult beverages" we should have a little more room to work with.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:39 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
We are leaving on our maiden voyage this coming Thursday and I was wondering also about wine glasses, I can't stand the thought of drinking wine but my lovely wife likes a glass of wine at night. I think I will go out and by some new tube socks :-) I liked the idea of throwing it the whole thing away if it breaks.
I wonder how organized we will be on this first trip. 8-10 days away ...... We can't wait til Thursday gets here.

roy
Old 05-21-2005, 08:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
i will briefly depart from wine consumption to say that i pre-freeze what i can, as i dont have the liberty to start up my reefer prior to departure. large joints of meat(like a ham dude..) are placed in the bottom of the reefer to pre-defrost and maintain refrigerated items while the reefer attempts to reach operating temperature....i use my wine for cooking, and i dont have to worry about my aluminium receptacles breaking..
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:42 PM   #24
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
spice bottles

we found these nifty containers at the craft store - they save loads of room if you carry many spices. They screw togehter and are about 7 inches tall when assembled - they come in several sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spice bottlers web.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	12327  

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #25
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
More missguided ideas on my part...

I will be moving into my Trade Wind at the beginning of March and expect it to be my home at least a couple months, maybe until fall. This use will be different than my short trip usage last year (new years messes me up) where two weeks was the long trip for me. Accordingly, I am trying to anticipate long term issues with the kitchen and what not. To this point I have relied on a very basic kitchen setup, but I am considering some extras. So my question is this, does anybody here carry things like bread makers and crockpots along with them? If so how does it work out? I also have a rotisserie that Im thinking could live in my pickup when not in use….Anyway your thoughts are appreciated.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
We keep a crock pot with us as well as a blender. They do not take up much foom and come in handy more often that one would think. The rotisserie sounds like a cool idea!

Good luck on your extended stay in the Trade Wind!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Ideal wine bottle storage...

In our new Safari 25FB there is a cabinet directly below the refrigerator that holds a case of Two-Buck Chuck Cabernet Sauvignon, the best of the six offerings of the world-famous Charles Shaw Winery.

Perhaps other models have this same cabinet, too. I am trying to find the best way of securing the bottles upright when the cabinet is less than full, a fairly common occurance at the rate that we drink this fine wine. Perhaps a series of Velcro loops attached to the back of the cabinet will do the trick.

Our "crystal" wine glasses are suitably thin plastic glasses found at party stores packaged by the dozens. Quick, easy, disposable, and clear enough to appreciate the color of the wine. These are the conical shaped kind with flat bottoms and a low center of gravity so that nothing of the nectar of the grape spills.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #28
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
We like to drink our wine out of real wine glasses. Plastic was OK went roughing it with a backpack. And before that glasses weren’t necessary. However, today things are different.
Since I like to make sawdust and do a little woodworking, I made a box that holds the glasses securely. For the top and base of the box, drill or cut out circles just the right size to fit the top and bottom of the each wine glass. One could use Styrofoam, but wood is organic and the IN thing nowadays.
Another item: You know how we all have old computers we can’t part with? Well, I gutted the inside of an old 1980s Macintosh computer case, and built compartments to hold my sprits. I guess that project qualifies as ergonomic recycling. Just boot it up, run the dynastic test and enjoy.
And it fits in the cabinet over the microwave.