Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #29
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Here is a easy, fairly quick and tasty one pot wonder ~ great to serve with "instant salad" from a bag with some fresh cut tomatoes and a good glass of Merlot.

Sliced mushrooms (wash, dry and slice before you leave, store in paper bag, they will keep well)
Saute mushrooms in some olive oil
Boil water for your favorite pasta ~ maybe a nice mix of whole wheat pasta and spinach pasta
To the mushrooms add sun dried tomatoes that are either the "soft" ones, or plumped up from olive oil
Add a nice ready made basil pesto (usually available in any market) to taste continue to saute to warm everything up
When the pasta is just done, mix all together. Sometimes if parts get cool I will mix over low heat a minute or two.
For an extra "rich" taste add a bit of thick cream to the mix (no calories in this recipe!)

The thing I like about this is that most of it can travel very well and it is quick and easy ~ you can make lots of it for a group or a small amount for two.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson!

My blogs:
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #30

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Originally Posted by snake View Post
....Fresh baked bread is nice when boondocking. I use an ice chest with a tray of warm water in the bottom to create a nice warm, moist enviornment for the dough to rise......
That is a GREAT idea!

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member
1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California
Groundhog Day Delight

Here's what Gordon Ramsey might recommend for today:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gordon_Ramsey_groundhog.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	95380  
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member
2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
First night's menu...

After a long day of driving, backing into a campsite, and setting up camp, we're perfectly content with generous sandwiches or homemade burritos made before we left home/previous camp. If we are getting into the new camp late, then it's a "road meal" at a diner. We often prepare some dishes, stored in the fridge, for warming on the stove for any days that include hiking. Best two kitchen utensils (IMHO): a $7 fish filleting knife from Big 5 (will cut everything, including your finger, if not careful); a non-stick 10" wok w/ lid. It has a large interior with high sides, and you can cook for a crowd in it, if necessary, or just the two of us. I'll have to try a pressure cooker, also.

Burrito contents: (this list can be changed to your tastes)
1 can of non-fat refried beans
Half-cup salsa of your choice
chicken, beef, or tofu scramble
chopped, roasted veggies of your choice (375 degrees for 30 min in roasting pan)
shredded cheese (we prefer vegetarian pepperjack)
large burrito wrap

Once you make the contents, you can wait until you camp to stuff the burritos, or make them ahead of time and warm them in wok/skillet. Takes just a few minutes to warm up. Great thread!
"I have found through trial and error that I work best under duress. In fact, I work only under duress." -Ed Abbey

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2010 Ford F-150 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4 w/ FlipPac camper shell
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #33
1972 Travelux Princess 25
Cobourg , Ontario
Home made soup (and stew and chili) rules!

One of the BEST TASTING soups, that hardly anyone knows about, is red lentil soup.

You use a 19 oz can of diced tomatoes,

1 can water

1 onion chopped

2 sticks celery chopped

2 carrots chopped

2 cup dry red lentils

2 OXO cubes

1 pound of best smoked sausages, sliced.

Put it all in the crock pot and cook all day. Or in the pressure cooker and cook for 10 minutes.

Season to taste. A dash of Tabasco is mandatory, salt according to taste or your doctor's advice.You will probably have to add more water too.

This is a hearty delicious soup. Even better the next day.

Living in the trailer park of sense, looking out the window at a tornado of stupidity.
Ganaraska is offline   Reply With Quote