Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
OK let's hear it for the potatoes!

I know all us full timers are doing things with potatos...but did you know this?
snopes.com: Green Potatoes Poisonous?

Also wondering what kind of nifty things you do with YOUR potatos....hmmmm?
Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Let's hear it for those Potato recipes...!

OK- All us fulltimers are fond of baked potatos with our cook outs...but did you know this?
snopes.com: Green Potatoes Poisonous?

Also would like you to share your potato tricks. / Recipes
Old 12-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
OK let's hear it for the potatos!

My all-time favorite potato dish is Rivel Soup . . . the story that I have been told is that it is an old-time German peasant recipe. It was a tradition in my family to have a pot of this soup simmering on the stove when relatives came to call during cool weather . . . . I always looked forward to visiting my aunt who was sure to have a simmering pot on her stove when we arrived after hours on the road . . . .

Start with a large stock pot and fry at least 1/2-pound of quality Hickory-Smoked bacon . . . fry the bacon until very crispy . . . remove from pan and set aside . . . . remove all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings from the pan.

Finely chop 1-medium onion and fry in drippings until translucent . . . . add 1/2-gallon chicken stock to the pot and bring to simmer. While stock is heating peel and cube 5 pounds of potatoes. . . . add to the the simmering stock cooking until the potatoes are almost tender.

In a medium to large bowl, place 2.5 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings -- then add one egg at a time until a stiff dough is formed (will likely take three eggs but may take up to five depending upon size) -- once the dough is formed, drop dough by teaspoon sized drops into the simmering soup . . . simmer until the rivels (noodles) are done to taste.

Plate up soup and garnish with crumbled bacon bits that were fried for flavoring earlier.

This soup is quite hearty, but the bacon fat can be a problem for some. Fine olive oil and minced garlic can be substituted for the flavoring in the noodles, but I haven't found a good substitute for the bacon flavoring in the soup stock.

Kevin

P.S.: I like my Rivel Soup thick, so I don't add much water, but my family's recipe always called for 1/2-gallon chicken stock with a 1/2-gallon of water -- when I make the soup, I add just enough water to float the rivels (about 3-cups at most).
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
I like to make what is commonly called Idaho Potatoes. Makes sense wince we are from Idaho, though not the part of the state that actually grow potatoes. Idaho Potatoes or skillet potatoes are made by starting with some butter or oil and carmelizing some chopped onions and green peppers (maybe celery also), and then adding precooked and diced potatoes and cooking until the spuds are browned. Goes great with eggs for breakfast and smells wonderful. Consider adding some salsa also.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Roasted garlic mashed taters are my favorite.....

Taters, butter, sour cream, roasted garlic, salt, pepper, grated parmesan cheese, bacon bits or pancetta bits and a little milk ... omg they're delicious!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
take yams, slice them up, and bake on a cookie sheet, brush with olive oil and salt & pepper to taste, love it........
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our favorite mashers are with butter, garlic, fresh ground pepper, buttermilk and sour cream. Yum!

I have made that rivel soup, Kevin, but not since my kidlings were little. (Oldest just turned 40.) Those same rivels go very nicely in basic chicken soup, in place of noodles.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I make a killer split pea soup with potatoes...

Make up the soup according to the label on the pack of dried split peas...a bit of chopped onions, carrots, and a nice big ham bone (with lots of meat) usually left over from a holiday ham...

Put four or five good sized potatoes in the microwave to cook...when cooled a bit, peel and using a 'ricer', add the extruded potatoes to the SP soup...simmer for several hours for the ham to soften and the flavors to meld...KILLER SOUP!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
Slice baking potato from end to end, not quite through. Put sliced sweet onions between potato slices. Add some minced garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. Place in foil. Pour melted butter over potato. Wrap in the foil and bake for 45 minutes at 400 - or toss on the grill - or toss in the fire bowl! Delicious.