Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Nesting cookware

Preparing to outfit the galley in the new 'stream.

Many good threads here, and I do appreciate all the past posts. I never knew there was such a thing as Corelle, and was out at the local discount retailer looking at some today. I've found some stainless steel wine goblets. I've found a stainless steel French press coffee maker. I've assembled a few hand-me-downs and leftovers, including an iron frypan -- despite the weight something I'd never be without.

I'm getting stuck on nesting cookware. I have a stack of stuff we've used in the past for camping trips -- lightweight aluminum pots that nest with some lids that invert into frypans. But I'd really like something heavier, that distributes the heat. All the stuff at the store has long handles which interfere with nesting.

Any ideas?
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
There are several brands of SS nesting cookware that the boating croud use, pricey but very nice. Google "nesting cookware". Here's a few starters:

cuisinart
magna
galleyware
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Nesting Cookware - Galley - Stainless Steel - Teflon - Galleyware Company

I have not bought any yet...but this was one of the sets that I liked...here is a link:
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
...Any ideas?
winter and home bound is the time for dreaming and list making...

'moe put together a VERY inclusive post on STUFF here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...list-7630.html

he is quite happy with the nesting pots listed there and here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...pots-7840.html

i prefer NORMAL cooking stuff that can be dual or triple or multi purpose...

dutch oven and pressure cookers, for example that are also boiling pots...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...chen-5410.html

and skillets that can be used indoor or OUTSIDE on the grill...

sometimes ONE really well made utensil, used many ways is better than an array of single purpose items...

nesting cook ware isn't ideally shaped or sized, imo for most common cooking tasks...

and i like firmly attached handles and items that can hold up to abuse..

anyway u will need/want other lists and here are some...

the generic sticky on 'stuff'...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ring-3099.html

and post #12 here, the motherlist of all lists...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post492516

should be plenty of reading and ideas therein.

people seldom change their cooking habits, eating routines and gadgetry just because they're rvin'...

so think about what is REALLY useful at home and carry one of those in the rv !

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
We have this set - not quite as nice as the set above but we've been happy with it:

Exponent by Coleman Outfitter S.S. Cook Kit - Dick's Sporting Goods
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Multi-functional

Jammer,

We have the microwave/convection and a conventional oven.

With that said I picked upsome corningware with removable handles on Ebay very inexpensively. They nest easily and work on the cooktop , in the conventioal oven and in the micro/conv.

If you have the mico/conv I would suggest at least a vintage pyrex pie plate from a second hand store, family member or Ebay. A overturned pyrex pie plate must be used in the Sharp model to make popcorn. The new pyrex in the U.S. is no longer made from borosilicate and is known to shatter.

I also carry some of the old cast iron skillets. they can be used on the stovetop , to bake and roast in a conventional oven and on an open fire.

A presto pressure cooker with the optional pasta draining lid and conventional lid has also really served us well and meets our needs for the times we need a larger pot.

CW offers a set of nesting pots with aluminum core bottoms by Cuisinart that are excellent ands around $100. Much less than alot of the nesting sets. BTW it often does not show up online or in some of the catalogs, but if you call their 800# they can lookup the item number for you.

Hope this is helful for a few ideas.

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You can find Corelle at WalMart, too, for about $20 for a set of four, also accessories. We have two Wearever saucepans, also from WalMart, one fits inside the other, the lids have vent/strainer openings and they do us very well. An inexpensive, 4 quart, spatter-ware kettle, 8" and 12" Dutch ovens and a couple of skillets cover most other needs.

We have become very fond of silicone items, which are lightweight, multi-purpose and flexible in the cabinets. Kitchen Collection at the Outlet Malls are the best-priced source we have found so far. We have a couple of nesting measuring cups and three bowls---all of which can go into the microwave.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
DW's choice for home and road...KitchenAid Gourmet Reserve Hard Based Cookware
Old 04-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
I have a combination of Calphalon, Analon and Circulon pieces that I mostly picked up at Ross & Marshall's. I found pieces with unusually short handles, non-stick and with metal lids. I do not like glass lids for the home or AS. Plus, I only use non-stick in the AS b/c of the easy, low water use cleanup.
I have:
10" fryer w/ lid.
Omelet
2-1/2qt pot w/ lid & ear handles.
1-1/2qt sauce pan w/ lid.
They all nest quite nicely and I keep the handles overlapped and turned towards the cupboard wall. They take up very little space.
Removable handles would make me nervous on a gas cook top.
These pieces are not as nice as the department store versions but they are still of a quite high quality.

I just purchased two FoldTuk collapsible baking pans that are oven, micro and refrigerator safe. I have not used them yet.
FoldTuk Bakeware - Cookware, Flexible, Gourmet, Nonstick, Silicone, Toaster oven, Bakeware Sets
I only have an oven and wanted something for brownies and heating up leftovers. Now leftovers can go straight from the refrigerator to the oven. Less cleanup!
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have a set of nesting cookware by Fagor...4 sizes of stainless steel sauce pans plus a skillet that is Teflon-coated...removable handles and the lids double as strainers...they also come with plastic snap-on lids for food storage... Compact, cooks great, very efficient... We got ours at Camping world some time back Smarter Multifunctional Stainless Steel Cookware - Item - Camping World We've never needed anything more...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
I have a nice Cuisinart set I got from Camping World that nests. It seems to be well made and is pretty heavy stuff. I really like it. I think the whole set was about $100

I also just picked up a vintage Cutco utensil set off of ebay for about $75. It appears to never have been used. What I like about it is it came with a nice stainless steel holder that mounts on the wall right next to the stove, so the utensils are out of the way, but readily accessible.

Here is a photo showing said Cutco set and also one of the pieces of my Cuisinart set.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
_

. , .
what's for dinner!

good looking pans '01...

i don't see them on the CW website but is this the set?

West Marine: Cuisinart Stow-8 Stowaway Cookware Set Product Display

very nice

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
We used a different approach (not that we know what we're doing!). We used regular pots with real handles. To address the space issue we've stowed them in the oven for traveling. To keep 'em from rattling I stuffed each one into some of the many ditty bags i found in our attic from the 'ole camping days (the kind that has thick fabric lining one side so you could turn them inside out, stuff them with clothes and use them as pillows). I was going to bungee them to keep them from moving around but with the ditty bags they fit nice and snug.

If there is a reason not to do this would love to hear.

(The only thing we aren't using from the old camping equipment is the aluminum nesting pots with removable handles. The boss outvoted me 1 to 0 on that one. )

This way we were able to use some of the spare stuff from the home kitchen that is better quality. We supplemented with a couple of items from the list 2air posted. One eventually links through to a listing of stuff on amazon.com that was quite good.

Good luck.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
good looking pans '01...

i don't see them on the CW website but is this the set?

West Marine: Cuisinart Stow-8 Stowaway Cookware Set Product Display

very nice

cheers
2air'
Thats it 2air. I'm no pro, but it is good stuff in my opinion.

Dinner was tacos.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I recently got one of the Cuisinart Stow-8 cookware sets at the North Little Rock, AR Camping World. If you check the Cuisinart website, you can see that they are now listed in their discontinued section. A shame really. I am glad I found a set. There were two more sets in stock at the NLR Camping World. Other CW stores may have some in stock, so it is worth checking if you are near one.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
I have the Cuisinart Stow-8 Cookware Set and would recommend it. I have used it for two years. It's heavy, heats evenly, the handles attach securely and easily, the lids fit well. The two skillet/saute pans double as casserole dishes. The larger skillet/saute also works nicely for a one layer cake, brownies, or a cobbler. The whole set nests and I stow it in the oven. I also carry a nonstick skillet, a cast iron skillet, an electric skillet and a crockpot. I cook a lot and have found this selection takes care of all my cooking/baking needs.

Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote