Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Need Super Easy 1-pot/skillet dinners

Just bought a coleman fold 'n go portable propane stove. Now, I need super easy lunch/dinner recipes to make on it.

When I say "easy," I really mean it. If not super easy, neither of us will cook.

I need to buy a skillet or pot too, I guess. But first, need to figure out what we'll be cooking with it.

We have a couple of food rules....no chili...I hate chili. No hot dogs...only eat those at baseball games. And no sausage. And no pasta.

I'm hoping someone can help me out and share some tasty, healthy simple recipes. Got to be so easy, a caveman could do it.

Oh, and, we're in an Interstate...tiny fridge and tinier freezer.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
How do you feel about pressure cookers? I use one and find it saves a lot of time and makes cooking easy.

There are lots of good pressure cooker recipes. Sort of like a crock pot but your dinner is ready in 15 minutes instead of 8 hours.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #3

Cobourg , Ontario
Pressure cooker beef stew.

Stop at the grocery store and get a pound of stewing beef, precut. 3 potatoes, 2 carrots, 1 onion, 2 stalks celery, 2 parsnips, 1 19 oz can diced tomatos, some OXO cubes, season salt.

Put the pressure cooker on the stove and add some cooking oil. Put the beef in a bag with some flour and shake it up. Brown the flour coated beef cubes in the hot oil.

While the beef is browning chop up the vegetables. Add the vegetables, can of tomatos, 1 OXO cube. Then put in enough water to cover ( water will come out of the vegetables as they cook). Add some salt and pepper or season salt if you like.

Put the lid on the pot, and the regulator. When the regulator starts rocking turn down the heat a bit not too much, it needs to keep rocking.

Your stew will be ready in 12 - 15 minutes depending on altitude and brand of pressure cooker (pressure varies a little by brand).

Take the pot and set in the sink, and run cold water over the top. Or set in a pan of cold water.

When the pressure drops to 0 you can take the lid off. Season to taste and add a spoonful of honey.

Put away the leftovers in the fridge. Your delicious stew will be even more delicious the next day and the next.

You can also get some Bisquick or Pillsbury and bake fresh biscuits to go with the stew.

Everyone will think you killed yourself cooking and the whole thing takes about 45 minutes start to finish.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
We always make "Pine Bark Stew" when we do our annual "Camp on the islands manly man" fishing trip... Got it's name because the joke is if you don't have anything else, you substitute Pine Bark for meat...

Peel potatoes and onions.
Layer of potatoe slices.
Layer of onion slices.
Layer of meat of choice (we've used fish, pork chops or hamburger, which is my least favorite)
repeat layers two more times, or until you run out of room, or ingredients

Salt and pepper each layer to taste as you add them... add a little oil if using non-greasy meat.

Cook low and slow and covered in a large cast iron pot until potatoes are soft. Add ketchup if you like a tomato base...

We've made this with mullet, trout, redfish, pork chops, ham, hamburger... never had to default to the pine bark.

-Red
Old 12-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Google "10 easy crock pot meals". Bagged and frozen ahead of time. Can be cooked in a slow cooker (best) or stove top.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Google? That's like cheating or something....

Going to do it right now.
-Red
Old 12-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Skillet Pork Chops/Cabbage/Seasoned Field Peas w/Snaps:
Brown 2 pork chops. Add 1/2 Bag of Cole Slaw and drained Field Peas/w/Snaps.
Cover and Simmer for about 20-25 mins.

Use rest of bag of slaw for coleslaw with burgers for another meal.

I look forward to seeing more easy one skillet meals (I use electric skillet usually)
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
We always make "Pine Bark Stew" when we do our annual "Camp on the islands manly man" fishing trip... Got it's name because the joke is if you don't have anything else, you substitute Pine Bark for meat...

Peel potatoes and onions.
Layer of potatoe slices.
Layer of onion slices.
Layer of meat of choice (we've used fish, pork chops or hamburger, which is my least favorite)
repeat layers two more times, or until you run out of room, or ingredients

Salt and pepper each layer to taste as you add them... add a little oil if using non-greasy meat.

Cook low and slow and covered in a large cast iron pot until potatoes are soft. Add ketchup if you like a tomato base...

We've made this with mullet, trout, redfish, pork chops, ham, hamburger... never had to default to the pine bark.

-Red
Noted solo sailor and liar extrordinaire Tristan Jones used that recipe— which he called burgoo— and published it in his book, "One Hand for Yourself, One Hand for the Ship."
Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Noted solo sailor and liar extrordinaire Tristan Jones used that recipe— which he called burgoo— and published it in his book, "One Hand for Yourself, One Hand for the Ship."
He stole it from us...

-Red
Old 12-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Some great recipe ideas! Thanks.

I've never used a crock pot or a pressure cooker. Probably won't be buying one for the RV. So, best to stick to stuff I can cook in a skillet or a pot.

More recipe ideas please!!! I can't wait to try out the new camp stove!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you ever camp with us, I have a number of these you can copy. Our go-to's on the road are one-dish meals made in my favorite, lidded skillet.

POTATOES & EGGS

1 large baking potato, cut up and started in skillet with a little oil and a little butter.
Chopped onion to taste, add
Chopped ham or cooked bacon, if you have it, add
Salt & fresh ground pepper

6 eggs, beaten and seasoned, add when all of the above are cooked, and cook til done.

Feeds 2-3 and can be increased easily to feed more.

Maggie
Old 12-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #12

Cobourg , Ontario
You can cook the stew in a pot, it just takes longer. Simmer for 2 or 3 hours, give it a stir once in a while. When it smells done taste it and see.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Here is a useful shortcut... Just cruise the "Hamburger Helper" aisle in the market, just down the row from the "Rice-A-Roni" aisle.. You can find single pan/skillet dishes from tuna casserole to stroganoff to you-name-it.. Usually the only item needed to be "stored" in fridge is meat choice, and with minor creativity you can substitute chicken breast for burger, or other cubed beef or meat products to brown/cook first, and then add rice, noodles, seasoning or other stuff.. Yes, this is less "unprocessed" than some other recipes and cooking methods, but it does achieve the goal of being quick, easy and single pan...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Mexican soup:

2 or 3 cans chicken broth
2 or 3 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
Cooked chicken ( we buy the cooked diced Perdue chicken southwest flavor when on sale but any cooked chicken will do)
Rice ( either leftover or cook it right in the soup)
Corn

Heat and top with shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips. Cilantro too if you like it.

Easy, easy, easy! It is a family and guest favorite. Use equal amounts of chicken broth and tomatoes. Add 2 cans for more stew like and 3 for more soup like.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Natures Dinner....One pan, prefer cast iron. 2 tblspn oil, 1 to 1 1/2 lb hamburg, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 lb grn beans [fresh better than can], 8-10 new potatoes [small or slice-em] 2 cloves chopped garlic, 1 tsp tobasco [2 for me], 1/2 tsp oregano, 1 tsp salt, 1 bay leaf, 2 fresh tomatoes- diced [caned in a pinch].....Heat oil, brown meat & onion. Add the rest except tomato. Cover & simmer 1.5 hr. Add tomato last 30 min. Idiot proof, I'm a guy and I can't screw it up!!!!Don't tell me you don't have those spices, every real man has-em in the cabnet with his bourbon!! Next week upside down beef & sausage pizza. Stovetop, same cast pan. 2 inches thick. Need two beers per slice!!!!!!
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
Cowboy breakfast,
Brown 1 pound ground sausage, season how you like, I use hot sausage and garlic, remove sausage and drain grease, fry about 5 medium sliced potatoes in bacon grease in the same pan until turning brown and soft. I microwave my potatoes first or it takes forever, cover with the sausage, pour 6 wisked eggs over top, cover and cook on med. until eggs are done on top, remove from heat and put shredded chedder cheese to your liking on top. Slice like a pie and start your day.
Valacidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Ranch Style Beans/Hamburger

Easy, easy one skillet meal. I love this and a caveman could make it. Take 1 lb. hamburger cook and drain oil from skillet. Add to skillet 1 large coarse chopped onion and cook for 3-5 min. Put cooked hamburger back in with onions. Add 1 or 2 cans of Ranch Style beans, simmer for 10-15 min., enjoy. If I looks a little dry add some water.

Cheese corn bread fixed in your convection oven goes very well with meal.
Olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
You can use canned chicken for this or buy a pre-cooked chicken at the store.

CHICKEN ENCHILADA SKILLET

INGREDIENTS:

12 corn tortillas, cut into bite sized pieces
3 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
1 10-ounce can Ro*Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
1 10-ounce can red enchilada sauce
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 cup grated Cheddar
1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack
1/2 avocado, sliced thin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

DIRECTIONS:

Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat the pan over medium heat.
Add the corn tortillas and cooked chicken to the pan and cook until heated through, stirring often.
Pour the undrained Ro*Tel, enchilada sauce, and tomato sauce into the pan with 1/4 cup of each cheese. Stir to combine well. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Sprinkle on the remaining cheese, top with the avocado and cilantro before serving.

Dinner in less than 15 minutes!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjude View Post
Mexican soup:

2 or 3 cans chicken broth
2 or 3 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
Cooked chicken ( we buy the cooked diced Perdue chicken southwest flavor when on sale but any cooked chicken will do)
Rice ( either leftover or cook it right in the soup)
Corn

Heat and top with shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips. Cilantro too if you like it.

Easy, easy, easy! It is a family and guest favorite. Use equal amounts of chicken broth and tomatoes. Add 2 cans for more stew like and 3 for more soup like.
We have friends who make something similar, and it has become a favorite of ours, usually starting with one of those half-pound chicken breasts we cook in the broth.

We add a can of black beans and one of corn.

You can put this in a crock pot, too.

Maggie
Old 12-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #20
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Easiest Recipe ever

You will need:

A Crock-pot or Dutch over (Charcoal powered)
A pot roast
Some potatoes
Some celery
Some onions
Some mushrooms (optional)
If you're really feeling frisky, an envelope of onion soup mix.

As soon as you finish Maggies' Potato and eggs for breakfast, get out yer crock-pot. Put some water in the bottom of the crock-pot (or dutch oven). Put the roast in the pot. Slice some potatoes into the pot. Slice some celery into the pot. Slice some onions into the pot. Add the mushrooms. Make sure pot is full to near the top. Let cook from breakfast 'till dinner. Eat.

Makes enough to feed a small Georgia County or our family. Left-overs freeze well.

Enjoy!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote