Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #41
Camping Through My Eyes

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Detroit , Michigan
This spice rack and tea strainer are two of my small but needed items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	285881  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntersville , North Carolina
Foodie checking in re: sous vide. Anybody wanting a good primer see -> http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/f...l-recipes.html

Cooking in plastic in hot water bugs me. So does putting boiling water in plastic, i.e. my Aeropress for coffee. But I do both. Sous vide occasionally, coffee daily.

Sous vide will definitely keep you from ever ruining an expensive piece of meat ever again. No doubt you can get *amazing* results but there's something very unsatisfying about the method.

"To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace." M. Kundera
Ruffn It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Saint Helena Island , South Carolina
DW just bought a round dish strainer from Amazon. Well made of plastic with a drain built in. Fits perfect in the newer model round sinks.
rollieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
OK, back to the wine cork screw knife. Anyone got a good recommendation? Been looking to replace the rigging knife I normally carry. We were picking up some wine and they had cork screw knives in the display case. Got me to thinking. Then you posted that image and I'm thinking some more. Have always used the rabbit ear type, but son swears by the waiter pocket style. Been considering a Swiss Army knife, since it has a screw as well as a screw driver blade. However the CSK looks like a winner. Ideas, or does it matter? Pat
I have 2 of these, one for home one for the MH
https://www.amazon.com/Waiters-Corks...ter+cork+screw
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
We just got an ANOVA "sous vide" cooker at home and I'm thinking it might go along on our next RV trips - cooks steaks and such submersed in a pot of water in ziplock bags to perfection, followed by a quick sear on the BBQ and / or with a propane torch!
What the heck is a ANOVA "sous vide" cooker??
When I was Backpacking a few years ago, I used to cook many of my trail meals in a Ziplock bag, boiling it.
But Never a steak, or such.
Does it work as well as a BBQ?
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Why fill up all that wonderful space you can use to store wine - just bring a credit card to pay for local take out and $20 in singles for emergencies like that hot cup of coffee when you get up at 10:30 or so ....
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
River Falls , Wisconsin
I bought my 2015 23D from a lovely couple who kindly left me all their camping goodies. Thus I have two favorite new kitchen items: a beautiful French press and a burr grinder. So. Delicious.
smsmith50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
add to the list a thermopen meat thermometer and a dishdrainer ( wal mart has small ones)and microfiber dish drainer mat
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Valrico , Florida
Must have kitchen items

My husband loves to cook. I think he might have been a chef in his previous life. We bring our good knives and hang them on an IKEA magnetic strip next to the stove. Since we both like different types and strengths of coffee, we bring a mini Kuerug for when we have power, and a silicone drip cone with paper filters for boondocking. Both are easy clean up. Have you ever tried to clean out a French press or percolator when trying to conserve water?

I also can't do without my manual mini food processor. It is hand cranked and great for chopping onions, making sauces, pestos and salsa.

We usually try to bring our favorite pans and gadgets from home, but inadvertently, we forget and leave behind something important in the AS after its emptied and parked miles away. So there is something to say about having duplicates of everything.
soFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:11 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
After all of these great meals I have to bring my Pilates Reformer. It's a bit big (8' long) and doesn't fit in the kitchen but it's my must have for traveling. Requires an additional tent too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 8.23.52 PM.png
Views:	196
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	285898  
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyet View Post
After all of these great meals I have to bring my Pilates Reformer. It's a bit big (8' long) and doesn't fit in the kitchen but it's my must have for traveling. Requires an additional tent too

Haha! Love it!
Old 05-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Frieling stainless double walled French press - I love it.

Have not gotten into grinding my own beans yet.

We cook simple at home and pack simple couple pots and a couple fry pans.

I also enjoy bringing an electric griddle to use and make big batches of huge French toast made from a nice big loaf of bread from a bakery

I need to buy some better knives both in the house and AS

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Irankine,

We carry the "Mini" sized Green Egg. It has about a 10" grilling surface. I looked online and found the mini weighs 39lbs. We don't find it heavy to maneuver so I was surprised to read that weight. We carry ours in the truck. It works well for grilling or baking for just 2-4 people. As you probably already know the Green Eggs stay very hot for a good long while so it's easy to cook in batches on the small surface if you need to cook more quantity. Years ago I found a small set of pizza stones that must be slightly less than 10 inches because they fit the mini Egg with enough open space around the sides as not to smother the fire.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
west rutland , Vermont
Love your thought process!!
wendyanddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
[QUOTE=soFlo;1952135]My husband loves to cook. I think he might have been a chef in his previous life. We bring our good knives and hang them on an IKEA magnetic strip next to the stove. Since we both like different types and strengths of coffee, we bring a mini Kuerug for when we have power, and a silicone drip cone with paper filters for boondocking. Both are easy clean up. Have you ever tried to clean out a French press or percolator when trying to conserve water?

I also can't do without my manual mini food processor. It is hand cranked and great for chopping onions, making sauces, pestos and salsa.

We usually try to bring our favorite pans and gadgets from home, but inadvertently, we forget and leave behind something important in the AS after its emptied and parked miles away. So there is something to say about having duplicates of everything.[/QUOTE

THAT'S what a check list is for.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
What type of ice makers are you using?
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Rancho Cordova , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
The ice maker has turned into one of my favorite things...
Do you have a recommendation?
J-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #58
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just ordered one of these for when hooked up, rainy outside and need to cook with little mess.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CBO...cc2809e8a1fee2

Here is hoping it works well.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
west rutland , Vermont
Just about done loading our AS FC 28 ft for our maiden voyage this weekend. We were tent campers prior to this. So I said to my husband we need the grill. His response why you have a stove. Really😬
wendyanddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:11 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyanddick View Post
Just about done loading our AS FC 28 ft for our maiden voyage this weekend. We were tent campers prior to this. So I said to my husband we need the grill. His response why you have a stove. Really😬
WHAT is he thinking!?!?!? LOL!
lrankine is offline   Reply With Quote