Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Asheville , North Carolina
Must Have kitchen items for the AS Kitchen

I would love to hear what everyone's "gotta have" kitchen items are for their AS kitchens. Obviously space is an issue and if you're into cooking (which I am) things like my full size Kitchen Aide stand mixer won't be making any trips with us. Let the discussion begin!
lrankine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Good set of sharp knives
Cutting board
Small whisk
Melamine mixing bowl in three sizes (lightweight)
Non-stick frying pan in small and medium sizes
Saucepan, Pasta pot (smallish)
Usual kitchen utensils, including a good can opener
Two sets of stainless steel tongs, one is hugely long for Dutch oven cooking
Flatware
Paper Plates
Decent Coffee Cups (for tea)
Teakettle
smallish canisters for flour, sugar, teabags, matches, etc. Ours are recycled tin cans with plastic lids
Supplies for washing-up dishes, etc
Dishpan that fits into the sink
Pasta strainer/colander set (collapsible silicon that stores flat)

Although we are into cooking, we minimize it in the AS. We have a 12v/115v microwave that is portable and very handy. The portable icemaker also rides along (115v only)
If pressed, I would add one cast iron skillet and a dutch oven for outside cooking.
We minimize weight and avoid 'single-taskers' in the tool set
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
It is the same

We have outfitted our trailer with the same items that we have at home. We cook a good bit. We did buy pans that nest and a bowl set that nests to save some space. Ours is a 2017 30 Ft FC Bunk. Lots of storage. Might have to be a bit more careful with a smaller model. We keep small grill in the bed of the truck.

Have fun shopping. We have been married 36 years. Like newlyweds shopping for our first home.
jim6090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
We try to cook as much as possible, so generally have the same things we have at home. What's different is duplicated items and appliances.

The only appliances we have are the Keurig and an icemaker (which sits on the dinette table). Utensils in a drawer and cooking implements in canister on the counter. We have fewer dishes (only 2 of us) and pots/pans have to nest. A few baking dishes/pans and a handheld mixer in lieu of the Kitchenaid stand mixer.

I haven't really missed anything from home and we seldom use the microwave, but use the oven on every trip - usually something freshly baked makes the AS smell great. When the first microwave died, I was contemplating just turning the space into more storage.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I have noticed that ice machines are mentioned in several threads......is that a better method than simply getting a bag of ice and tossing it into a cooler?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrankine View Post
I have noticed that ice machines are mentioned in several threads......is that a better method than simply getting a bag of ice and tossing it into a cooler?

We bring a zip lock full of ice cubes - then make them as we use them in a tray in the freezer [emoji851]
Mikenbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Good list above.

We use the knives that have a plastic sleeve to cover the blade. Some have plastic sleeves color coded to the knife blade color. We prefer contrasting colors as it is easy to think the blade is covered when it is not.

We carry a muffin pan and a cake pan. Baking on a cool day adds to the experience. We also carry a few of the disposable aluminum foil pans. They work well to make a big salad or side dish for pot luck contributions. We also have the disposable pepper and salt grinders. After fresh, there is no going back.

We also carry a small Pyrex measuring cup. It is good to heat liquids in the microwave and to mix cooking ingredients.

In addition to paper plates and disposable drink cups (works to beat eggs), we carry some Corel type dishes for more formal dining. Theses replaced some china that we found were not used enough to justify storing them. We have a pair of the plastic stemless wine glasses for adult beverage consumption, a wine aerator, cork screw and manual can opener. We purchased some of the plastic handled church keys and find the new ones to not cut an adequate opening. The flat punched low cost option works better and takes up less space.

It's a process. Try it. If it does not work, adjust. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We just got an ANOVA "sous vide" cooker at home and I'm thinking it might go along on our next RV trips - cooks steaks and such submersed in a pot of water in ziplock bags to perfection, followed by a quick sear on the BBQ and / or with a propane torch!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I agree with Jim6090. Duplicate all the items you use in your home kitchen on a daily or weekly basis. Knives, skillets, pots,cooking utensils, coffee maker, etc. When we tossed the "trailer stuff" and duplicated it with quality items that we use ever day at home it made camping much more fun.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrankine View Post
The ice maker has turned into one of my favorite things about the AS - dumb, I know. I guess it's a number of factors:

1. I like knowing where my ice/water came from. Sometimes the bags of ice from the store are ripped and ice may be exposed

2. I never run out - the portable ones make a new batch about every 10 min

3. I drink a lot of water/tea/etc and use quite a bit of ice.

4. I never have to think about it - the thing just keeps on chugging out the ice
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Plenty of wine while you cook

Kelvin
Old 05-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
A good manual can opener.

Grippy things for opening jars.

Trivets (wood for me)

Plastic wine glasses.
Corelle dinnerware
Large drink tumblers made of plastic (see a theme?)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Don't forget your cheese grater. We use a pair of plastic cutting boards that have lips on three sides to contain the slicing and dicing. We collect coffee/tea cups from NPs and such along the trip. Good memory of the trip. The one thing we don't use as disposables is flat ware. Easy to wash and a set of SST fits in the drawer.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
I plan on using my things from our tent camping kitchen. Perc style coffee pot for the stove, mixing bowls can double as salad bowls or popcorn bowls (and they nest). I have two speckled blue pots - one large, one medium), but I'm only going to bring the medium one. I used the large one for heating water to wash dishes and now I don't have to do that!

For my dishes, I have the Coleman speckled blue bowls, plates, and cups. I've had them forever and they still look great.

Our Safari came with a toaster from the previous owner, but I don't think I want to use it or bring it. Toasters aren't easy to completely clean and it could be a mice inviter. My 13 year old will be devastated without the toaster though. Trying to decide.

One thing I never used before while camping was a saucepan, but I use those at home quite a bit. I'm thinking it might be good to add one. I know I will need to add in a muffin tin and some pizza pans.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I do coffee in an Aeropress. DW likes her instant coffee. (I know). Iron fry pan and DO because they can't be beat and are still non stick after 68 years.(they were my mom's as a wedding gift). I have a Whirley Pop popcorn maker and the pot doubles as a pasta pot so it is dual purpose. Collapsible colander is a good thing. Collapsible mixing bowls as well. I don't do the ice maker thing as the freezer in the fridge keeps me well supplied. 4 ice cube trays are kept busy. I love to use the fine Chinet dishes as they make good fire starters and save on dish water.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"Must Have kitchen items for the AS Kitchen"

Whatever you are used to using at home.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We bought two nice stainless saucepans at Walmart...Wearever Cook & Strain...that have glass lids with both large and small drain openings...eliminates the need for carrying a colander.

I like silicone nesting bowls, as their squish factor in both cabinet and frig is a plus, and they can also be used to re-heat leftovers in the microwave.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4655.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	285854  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Maybe I missed it in previous posts, for me the MOST important kitchen tool is a good corkscrew/bottle opener!
Ever try to remove a cork without one?
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:47 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
This is an AWESOME response! Great suggestions everyone! Keep'em coming!
Old 05-19-2017, 04:49 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Maybe I missed it in previous posts, for me the MOST important kitchen tool is a good corkscrew/bottle opener!
Ever try to remove a cork without one?
Actually......yes I have. That's why I've kept one in my shaving kit for decades! LOL!