Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
Meal plan

Anyone have a meal plan or suggestions on what to cook for an upcoming, 3 day, spring trip? Typically we just bring hotdogs an marshmallows an eat out at the onsite restaurants. The campground were going to will just have electric and water. 2 adults, 3 kids.
L911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3480124814.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	540.0 KB
ID:	177523

Lobster tails are always a hit.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Kids love to use those pocket sandwich makers in campfires.

You can do breakfast, lunch or dinner in those, entrees and dessert.

Maggie
Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Breakfast usually consist of either eggs or pancakes with bacon or sausage. Oatmeal if I don't feel like cooking.
Lunch most days is a sandwich of some kind.
Mid-afternoon snack is usually raw vegies or fruit with dip or a nice homemade salsa and chips.
Dinner will be steaks, hamburger or fish along with appropriate sides of baked or grilled potatoes along with another vegetable or two and salad.
If there is a particularly good local restaurant close by I may go there for either lunch or dinner one day.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Since you have electric you could take a slow cooker and put in a roast, add some chopped up potatoes and veggies for a great meal with little work.

Another choice is make a pan of lasagna or baked ziti cover the pan with aluminum foil to take with you and just put it in the oven to finish cooking for your meal, very little work to prepare while camping. Just make sure the pan will fit in the oven of your trailer first.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
It's ALL Dutch Oven!

Breakfast:
Mountain-man Breakfast, Combination of Hash-browns, Bacon, Eggs, Cheese topped with sour cream and salsa.
Eggs Benedict
Oatmeal, walnuts, raisins, dried cranberries, brown sugar and heavy cream
Dinner
Guinness Pork Loin, Scalloped Potatoes, Veggie of choice
Hearty Gumbo over rice, Best ever Cornbread

Camping is a time to try cooking something different, Everyone is to hungry, they'll try just about anything.
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
We enjoy cooking with the "DUTCH OVEN". We like everything in it from pizzas to beans and greens. To bake pizza and biscuits I use a rack inside the Dutch oven that came with a pressure cooker. It keeps the breads from burning on the bottom. If cooking messy things like lasagna then I use a liner either made from foil or throw away foil pan from the $ Tree. As I make casseroles at home I usually make an extra and freeze for the next camping trip. $ Tree has some disposable foil pans with foil Lids that work great. The grandchildren really enjoy making their own pizzas. I find the Dutch oven very entertaining, and when else does everyone so willing to help. Good luck.

Happy cooking and camping,
Jeanie
Rxtravelprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
I've been suffering from some health problems lately that have had to eliminate most of the traditional foods we would bring with us when we would camp....hotdogs, burgers, etc. This year we will probably be doing a lot more with veggies, lean chicken or turkey, etc. I've been trying some little combos of say chicken, onions, peppers, etc. wrapped in foil on the grill here at home. So far, they have come out pretty good.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I've been cooking in our 1963 Ovelander that is, um, not quite done and therefore has no propane system. A good old Coleman stove and a collection of cast iron has been really fun!
Biscuits, eggs and bacon...baked potatoes with steak....jambalaya...stuffed bell peppers

The biscuits were the toughest until I found a round griddle that fit on top of a skillet. After preheating both, I flop in the canned biscuits with some butter and flip it every few minutes.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxtravelprn View Post
We enjoy cooking with the "DUTCH OVEN". We like everything in it from pizzas to beans and greens. To bake pizza and biscuits I use a rack inside the Dutch oven that came with a pressure cooker. It keeps the breads from burning on the bottom. If cooking messy things like lasagna then I use a liner either made from foil or throw away foil pan from the $ Tree. As I make casseroles at home I usually make an extra and freeze for the next camping trip. $ Tree has some disposable foil pans with foil Lids that work great. The grandchildren really enjoy making their own pizzas. I find the Dutch oven very entertaining, and when else does everyone so willing to help. Good luck.

Happy cooking and camping,
Jeanie
Jeanie, do you have a photo or a link to your Dutch Oven?
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Jeanie, do you have a photo or a link to your Dutch Oven?
If you look in the Stella's Kitchen sub-forum, you will find a link to Byron's Dutch Oven Cooking. Lots of great recipes, ideas and information.

I've tried to copy it here. http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/du...es.htm#Recipes

Maggie
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
That's a great link! Thanks Maggie!

Wendy
Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
TravelBird, this is my set up: on the alum table is a lid off a big barrel from the Co-op Feed store with a charcoal starter chimney. The lid is just a redneck idea to keep the ashes in place and makes clean-up a little neater. I have two Dutch ovens. A # 10 from Lodge and # 12 of some other brand. Inside the 10 is the rack out of a pressure cooker. Then on the far left is a piece of duck work that I use if it is windy or very cold. This gives me better control of the temp. With the Lodge I got "CAMP DUTCH OVEN COOKING" cookbook. It was very helpful if the beginning. It has a chart of how to place the coals for even heat. Placing more coals on top, for even heat. Hope this helps. I'm not sure I know how to attach the photos. Lets hope!
Enjoy,
Jeanie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	178155  
Old 02-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Woops, I think I only sent one pic. I'll try again. Jeanie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	178156  
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxtravelprn View Post
TravelBird, this is my set up: on the alum table is a lid off a big barrel from the Co-op Feed store with a charcoal starter chimney. The lid is just a redneck idea to keep the ashes in place and makes clean-up a little neater. I have two Dutch ovens. A # 10 from Lodge and # 12 of some other brand. Inside the 10 is the rack out of a pressure cooker. Then on the far left is a piece of duck work that I use if it is windy or very cold. This gives me better control of the temp. With the Lodge I got "CAMP DUTCH OVEN COOKING" cookbook. It was very helpful if the beginning. It has a chart of how to place the coals for even heat. Placing more coals on top, for even heat. Hope this helps. I'm not sure I know how to attach the photos. Lets hope!
Enjoy,
Jeanie
Thank you so much, Jeanie!! My husband and I were just talking about our first season camping and what we are going to cook and how! Very helpful info!!! Cheers!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We litterally never ever eat out. That is the glory of camping. Bring the grill, slow cooker, salad stuff, grilling meats & fish, lunch and always vegs & fruits. Sometimes we will have smoked ribs/chicken/roasts (done by DH ahead of time) packaged for a meal and ready to thaw & reheat. I usually bake something too. We eat like we eat at home. Easy to be ready at a moments notice, especially after a day out ready for a relaxing evening eating in front of a nice fire. Beats eating out for sure.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Agree with Stream - Airstream cooking is a big part of the experience. Maybe I have seen too many episodes of "Kitchen Nightmares," but I am a bit choosey when it comes to eating establishments.

Driving can be enervating. I have to eat healthy on the road or else I'm done. You wrote Meal "Plan." Planning is the key word. I do a lot of preparation beforehand; homemade soup, ready-to-go salads, sandwich fillings etc. My portable cooler is well stocked. Quantity depends on the length of the trip. I do not pack a week's worth of premade meals and risk contamination. Three days max. The real pleasure is picking up fresh food along the way, especially regional specialties.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
a favorite for us is hobo pockets. Match stick potatoes, carrots, onions, a pat of butter, salt and pepper. Wrap it up in aluminum foil and grill for about 40 minutes turning every 10 minutes. Throw on any meat at the end. Very popular with my family on every trip.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Planning and Dutch Ovens (DO) make meals fun and easy when camping. Depending on the length of our trips, and when we leave, we try to have the first meal quick and easy. Depending on the weather soup and sandwiches are good.

What you plan is up to you and your family. DO's are good for one pot stews and meals. It helps to prep as much as you can before you leave. Zip lock bags are great for this.

Yes you can even do pizza in a DO Its easy, delicious, filling, and the kids will love it.

I have found some good sites that have Scouting recipies. I'm at work, but can check when I get home tonight.

If you're not into DO cooking, you can still cook some great meals in the trailer. Cooking and eating in a trailer is really no different than at home... I've camped with friends who have made enitre multi course meals in DO's, and others who had mad killer meals in a 19 ft Bambi. Let your imaginations run wild. A note of caution though, do not try that new really exotic recipie without trying it at home first or having a backup.

When we cook, we plan on cooking outside unless the weather is really bad. I've only been rained out once, and that was because of lightning.

Enjoy
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Oh yeah, load up on you favorite fresh fruits and veggies. Salads taste better when camping also
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote