Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxtravelprn View Post
TravelBird, this is my set up: on the alum table is a lid off a big barrel from the Co-op Feed store with a charcoal starter chimney. The lid is just a redneck idea to keep the ashes in place and makes clean-up a little neater. I have two Dutch ovens. A # 10 from Lodge and # 12 of some other brand. Inside the 10 is the rack out of a pressure cooker. Then on the far left is a piece of duck work that I use if it is windy or very cold. This gives me better control of the temp. With the Lodge I got "CAMP DUTCH OVEN COOKING" cookbook. It was very helpful if the beginning. It has a chart of how to place the coals for even heat. Placing more coals on top, for even heat. Hope this helps. I'm not sure I know how to attach the photos. Lets hope!
Enjoy,
Jeanie
Thank you so much, Jeanie!! My husband and I were just talking about our first season camping and what we are going to cook and how! Very helpful info!!! Cheers!!

WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
We litterally never ever eat out. That is the glory of camping. Bring the grill, slow cooker, salad stuff, grilling meats & fish, lunch and always vegs & fruits. Sometimes we will have smoked ribs/chicken/roasts (done by DH ahead of time) packaged for a meal and ready to thaw & reheat. I usually bake something too. We eat like we eat at home. Easy to be ready at a moments notice, especially after a day out ready for a relaxing evening eating in front of a nice fire. Beats eating out for sure.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Agree with Stream - Airstream cooking is a big part of the experience. Maybe I have seen too many episodes of "Kitchen Nightmares," but I am a bit choosey when it comes to eating establishments.

Driving can be enervating. I have to eat healthy on the road or else I'm done. You wrote Meal "Plan." Planning is the key word. I do a lot of preparation beforehand; homemade soup, ready-to-go salads, sandwich fillings etc. My portable cooler is well stocked. Quantity depends on the length of the trip. I do not pack a week's worth of premade meals and risk contamination. Three days max. The real pleasure is picking up fresh food along the way, especially regional specialties.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
a favorite for us is hobo pockets. Match stick potatoes, carrots, onions, a pat of butter, salt and pepper. Wrap it up in aluminum foil and grill for about 40 minutes turning every 10 minutes. Throw on any meat at the end. Very popular with my family on every trip.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Planning and Dutch Ovens (DO) make meals fun and easy when camping. Depending on the length of our trips, and when we leave, we try to have the first meal quick and easy. Depending on the weather soup and sandwiches are good.

What you plan is up to you and your family. DO's are good for one pot stews and meals. It helps to prep as much as you can before you leave. Zip lock bags are great for this.

Yes you can even do pizza in a DO Its easy, delicious, filling, and the kids will love it.

I have found some good sites that have Scouting recipies. I'm at work, but can check when I get home tonight.

If you're not into DO cooking, you can still cook some great meals in the trailer. Cooking and eating in a trailer is really no different than at home... I've camped with friends who have made enitre multi course meals in DO's, and others who had mad killer meals in a 19 ft Bambi. Let your imaginations run wild. A note of caution though, do not try that new really exotic recipie without trying it at home first or having a backup.

When we cook, we plan on cooking outside unless the weather is really bad. I've only been rained out once, and that was because of lightning.

Enjoy
Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Oh yeah, load up on you favorite fresh fruits and veggies. Salads taste better when camping also
Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
We tend to eat pretty healthy and clean. My latest is buying frozen, vacuum-packed salmon (2 pieces per pack). Stays frozen in the freezer then when defrosting in fridge , doesn't smell. Pop into a foil packet with herbs, veg, lemon, w/e). Grill, put in fire, etc. Easy! Also, we and kids love those banana packets where you slice the banana peel, stuff in choco chips, nuts peanut butter, etc, wrap backup and then wrap in foil..warm up. yum.

We plan our meals but always try to buy local foods wherever we go, if possible.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
I always make a lasagna at home to take along and bake. I love using our oven!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Everything we eat cooked is either prepared on the grill or rarely one of those electric skillets (think pancakes). I'll fire up the grill, throw some cast iron on it and fry up bacon or sausage with eggs over the charcoal fire. Then you either throw bread on the grill to toast or (my favorite) flour tortillas to make breakfast burritos. It also makes a killer chili.

I convert to indirect heat and use the grill as an oven and cook all sorts of things that way.

Throw some smoking chips on it and smoke anything that won't move fast enough, so far my favorite was an overnight brisket.

If you run out of ideas, it can actually be used as a boring regular charcoal grill for steaks, burgers and even s'mores.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
If you run out of ideas, it can actually be used as a boring regular charcoal grill for steaks, burgers and even s'mores.
I don't know about you all, but I still prefer the taste of a steak on charcoal or wood. Gas is OK for nearly everything else, but just doesn't do it for steak.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
I haven't used gas to cook anything in eons. In fact, we got rid of briquettes and went to lump charcoal years ago and haven't looked back.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
We bought one of those cheap small Weber charcoal grills (I think it was less than $40) about 10 years ago and have had hundreds of meals off that thing. I need to replace the cooking grate soon, but it has been probably the best camping investment I've ever made. Our last trailer came with one of those small outside grills that attach to the main gas line and I don't think we used it more than once.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I'll second you on that mini Weber kettle. I goes with us on every trip.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Mini weber for us, too. However, many of our last trips had fire and charcoal BBQ ban - Colorado especially. So the flat pan on the Coleman had to substitute. A little extra cleaning but no big deal.