Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Silver Spud

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
Manual Coffee Grinder?

I've been reading a lot of threads about brewing coffee in an AS and there are as many preferences as there are coffee maker brands. (I thought I was being a wimp worrying about coffee until I saw how many even roast their own green beans on the road.) We pick up our new 23FB Flying Cloud next week!

So, in the spirit of roughing it as little as possible, does anyone have some advice/brands/tips on what type of MANUAL coffee grinder works well? We have a good electric one which we'll use when hooked-up, but want a manual option for frequent boon docking.

(Have done some searches and can't find any threads on grinders.)

Cheers.

The Silver Spud
BillB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Bill-bee-four-four. How can one be a snob regarding aluminum ... and now coffee you ask? Sheesh! You've got a lot of company.

I am the only coffee drinker in our Safari and use a manual grinder. It's not efficient and pretty tedious for more than one or two. My GSI grinder isn't so great. (link here) The grind is very irregular -- a lot of powdery fines along with many large-ish chunks. The resulting taste leaves a lot to be desired. The grinder is wearing out after its fourth season of camping and I'd like better coffee. So I'll keep my eye on your thread and see what good suggestions come up!

GSI imports many items for the non-backpacking outdoor set. They make stainless margarita glasses but their wine glasses look great next to an Airstream - and are nigh onto indestructible.

After they poured me the very best cup of coffee I've had in my life, my current everyday favorite is Zoka's Tatoosh Blend. I like most everything Sumatran too. Full & rich is .

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
I have a Zassenhaus - one of the best, but I bought it in Germany. Google it and you can get it in the states. wolf
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
How lazy are we? Well I have the same GSI grinder as Canoestream - and I confess I am too lazy to use it on a day in, day out basis. What he said about the inconsistent grounds is so true too.

I do have a cordless Makita Drill that gets used for lots of stuff, perhaps grinding coffee? (Give a girl a tool and she'll find 15 odd uses for it that no guy would ever think of. Here goes the girl tool kit thing again!)

Why don't we talk to Makita and have them make a coffee grinder powered by rechargable ni-cad batteries that also can be used on the drill?

Paula
Old 10-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
I have a Zassenhaus - one of the best, but I bought it in Germany. Google it and you can get it in the states. wolf
I have one too and it's been grinding my beans for about 15 years.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
...I do have a cordless Makita Drill that gets used for lots of stuff, perhaps grinding coffee? (Give a girl a tool and she'll find 15 odd uses for it that no guy would ever think of. Here goes the girl tool kit thing again!)...

Paula
Hi Paula,

Funny!

However, I have seen Alton Brown on Food Network's Good Eats with a cordless drill attached to a pepper mill. I think I'd have more use for that. Pepper mills just have capacities that are too small. I use one a lot more than my coffee mill.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB44 View Post
... does anyone have some advice/brands/tips on what type of MANUAL coffee grinder works well?....
hi bill

go burr

go conical

go z...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/315638-post80.html

der mont bald vendorschmitz...

mine includes a canister base that has a sealed lid for the grinds.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Grind n Go

If going for a week or less, we generally grind enough for our trip at home ahead of time...and freeze. You might also think about an antique grinder if you can find a cheap one. We have an Arcade Crystal at home and it works like a champ...but not really AS friendly. A box grinder would be more AS suitable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4016ArcadeCrystalNo_3WOrig_CupAA.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	89193  
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
_

. , .
hi mongo man, how ya beeee !

IF u drink as much bean as me...

it takes a big grinder to feed the addiction.

so i've combined another interest with the drinking affliction...

Click image for larger version

Name:	biker_coffee_grinder.gif
Views:	308
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	89195

ne1 wanna ride my bike?

it's a whole new way to pedal coffee

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Silver Spud

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
"Z" Seems to be z way to go

Upon more digging and reading, the German-made Zassenhaus seems to be the clear front runner in manual grinders. Not cheap (about $80) but sounds like it lasts forever, adjusts for desired grinds, and is classic/cool looking. (Not unlike an AS.) The model you hold between your knees seems especially smart for dinette grinding. Zassenhaus Conical Burr Coffee Mills

My wife just rolls her eyes. Says 'What would Lewis & Clark think about all this?'

The Silver Spud
Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
This Lewis and Clark thinks thats why I have an inverter.

I have a hard enough time finding the coffee in the morning without having to grind the beans by hand.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
Certifiable

. , .
Peugeot has been making some pretty good mills for a few years too.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
burton , Michigan
We got a box grinder off Ebay for about $24. It works fine. I think it works great since hubby does the grinding, lol.
goobygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Ever plug in the generator just to grind coffee? we did! After that we bought a manual grinder, but it's a bit of a pain (all of the above issues). The next phase was to add solar, an inverter (overkill perhaps?), but, by golly, I can grind coffee, run the microwave and power anything in the trailer except the A/C.

We do love our coffee.
Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I have one similar to the lower picture above that I've sawn off the bottom portion (right above the drawer) and I use it to grind fresh pepper for seasoning (I really like pepper!).
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #16
Silver Spud

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
Thanks for the feedback.

Lots of good info, thanks folks. Had no idea Peugeot made them! I'll grind this all into the decision. (Sorry.)

Right now we're on pins and needles waiting for the baby to arrive from Jackson Center. Due date is tomorrow. May be a rough delivery with all the rain & weather in mid-country.

The Silver Spud
Old 08-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Terrific Grinder Made In The USA

Artstream and others piqued my interest in manual grinders.

I had never owned one so did some research before I purchased.

I chose : www.redroostertradingcompany.com

It is a conical burr grinder made from cast iron with a walnut handle and base. The base fits over a Ball Jar and the ground coffee goes right in. Very easy to spoon from the jar and easy to store for ground coffee.

It has produced grinds from course to fine as well as my overpriced electric burr grinder.

I was surprised to find out that my morning cuppa as well as my poor man's espresso from a moka pot are made more enjoyable by grinding my own. Well, you live and learn.

This company also makes a CI and walnut pepper mill. I am thinking about putting that on my birthday wish list later this year. Anyone already own one of these? How do you like it?

Happy Trails,
'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
I am going vintage box-type

I love these coffee threads!!! Having ground my own beans on a daily basis forever, I am relatively happy grinding before camping, and keeping in an airtight jar........I flipped the jar upside down, though, a couple weeks ago, while camping on the Mohawk Trail, and it was a total mess. (Yes, I swept it up and used it, cuz there is no way I could go without coffee, and I was in the middle of no-where!)

I tried a backpacking grinder, and hated it (too coarse, and too hard to do). I am intrigued, though, by these wooden hand crank grinders, and am in the process of purchasing a Zassenhaus or other vintage grinder. I love how the vintage look will go with my '53 interior!!

Someone mentioned keeping in the freezer, which I always did 'til a couple years ago.....Some say that the oils leach out, and that it is much better to just keep in a cool, dry place!!
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB44 View Post

So, in the spirit of roughing it as little as possible, does anyone have some advice/brands/tips on what type of MANUAL coffee grinder works well? We have a good electric one which we'll use when hooked-up, but want a manual option for frequent boon docking.

Cheers.
Markdoane had it right, even while boondocking the amount of time grinding is short, you already have a satisfactory electric grinder. We tried the hand grinder when we were on a longer cruise but found it cumbersome, poor grind and a pia, as grinding before fully awake takes the pleasure away from a relaxing wakeup. Save the grinding for tensioning the sails.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #20

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
Hand grinding your coffee beans is not for everyone, but I have done it for years & enjoy the 'ritual'. I picked up an aluminium grinder that matches the stove-top espresso maker I use -- if the link below works you will recognize this classic Italian design.

Does a good job grinding to consistent size, but it is easy to spill the odd bean out the top while grinding -- you really have to hold the thing to your chest whilst turning the crank, you can't use it like the countertop box mills I've seen. I bought mine in the UK, but I suspect something similar is available in the US.

Aromagrind Fine Precision Coffee Grinder : Coffee : Drinks : Kitchenware

Cheers,
GB
RGBaker is offline   Reply With Quote