Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I have one similar to the lower picture above that I've sawn off the bottom portion (right above the drawer) and I use it to grind fresh pepper for seasoning (I really like pepper!).

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Austin, TX "Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #16
Silver Spud
2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
Thanks for the feedback.

Lots of good info, thanks folks. Had no idea Peugeot made them! I'll grind this all into the decision. (Sorry.)

Right now we're on pins and needles waiting for the baby to arrive from Jackson Center. Due date is tomorrow. May be a rough delivery with all the rain & weather in mid-country.

The Silver Spud
BillB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2006 34' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Terrific Grinder Made In The USA

Artstream and others piqued my interest in manual grinders.

I had never owned one so did some research before I purchased.

I chose :

It is a conical burr grinder made from cast iron with a walnut handle and base. The base fits over a Ball Jar and the ground coffee goes right in. Very easy to spoon from the jar and easy to store for ground coffee.

It has produced grinds from course to fine as well as my overpriced electric burr grinder.

I was surprised to find out that my morning cuppa as well as my poor man's espresso from a moka pot are made more enjoyable by grinding my own. Well, you live and learn.

This company also makes a CI and walnut pepper mill. I am thinking about putting that on my birthday wish list later this year. Anyone already own one of these? How do you like it?

Happy Trails,
2006 34' Classic LTD
2010 Ford F250 PSD
Hensley Arrow Hitch
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
I am going vintage box-type

I love these coffee threads!!! Having ground my own beans on a daily basis forever, I am relatively happy grinding before camping, and keeping in an airtight jar........I flipped the jar upside down, though, a couple weeks ago, while camping on the Mohawk Trail, and it was a total mess. (Yes, I swept it up and used it, cuz there is no way I could go without coffee, and I was in the middle of no-where!)

I tried a backpacking grinder, and hated it (too coarse, and too hard to do). I am intrigued, though, by these wooden hand crank grinders, and am in the process of purchasing a Zassenhaus or other vintage grinder. I love how the vintage look will go with my '53 interior!!

Someone mentioned keeping in the freezer, which I always did 'til a couple years ago.....Some say that the oils leach out, and that it is much better to just keep in a cool, dry place!!
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Originally Posted by BillB44 View Post

So, in the spirit of roughing it as little as possible, does anyone have some advice/brands/tips on what type of MANUAL coffee grinder works well? We have a good electric one which we'll use when hooked-up, but want a manual option for frequent boon docking.

Markdoane had it right, even while boondocking the amount of time grinding is short, you already have a satisfactory electric grinder. We tried the hand grinder when we were on a longer cruise but found it cumbersome, poor grind and a pia, as grinding before fully awake takes the pleasure away from a relaxing wakeup. Save the grinding for tensioning the sails.
DaveFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #20
Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
Hand grinding your coffee beans is not for everyone, but I have done it for years & enjoy the 'ritual'. I picked up an aluminium grinder that matches the stove-top espresso maker I use -- if the link below works you will recognize this classic Italian design.

Does a good job grinding to consistent size, but it is easy to spill the odd bean out the top while grinding -- you really have to hold the thing to your chest whilst turning the crank, you can't use it like the countertop box mills I've seen. I bought mine in the UK, but I suspect something similar is available in the US.

Aromagrind Fine Precision Coffee Grinder : Coffee : Drinks : Kitchenware

RGBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
RGBaker, love the look of that grinder—perfect complement to the moka pot. I'm suspect, though, of any grinder that doesn't mention the type of grinding mechanism, though.

…but I also wonder if the grinding mechanism is really all that important with a hand grinder? As my understanding is that the main benefit of a burr grinder is that it prevents the beans from friction burn during the grind. Since a hand grinder grinds so slowly…

All these suggestions are great, but I have another parameter to add: Has anyone found a quality hand grinder that is not stepless? I love my giant Innova burr stepless grinder at home, but I have to have two grinders— one for espresso and one for French Press, since it's impossible to "find" just the right setting when you switch between the two. I'd love to find a hand-crank grinder with steps, so I can use it for different purposes at will. I'm willing to sacrifice the infinite precision for saving a bit of space (we like our espresso *and* our french press depending on the mood).

Also considering skipping the hand grind altogether and getting an inverter just for this purpose. Hmm…
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #22
Currently Looking...
Calgary , Alberta
This works for me.

For 3 years on the road, this grinder worked flawlessly for me:
Javagrind Coffee Mill by GSI and other Java and Tea Accessories
drdwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Just received a Hario Mini-Mill from Amazon [] to use with an Aerobie Aeropress coffee maker. The Hario produces an easily-adjusted, consistent grind, has an ergonomic shape, and a closed top to allow "energetic" grinding without spills (provides a bit of upper-body exercise for us Airstream potatoes). Takes about 2-3 minutes to grind enough for two mugs of outstanding coffee. For about $30, it's a great little grinder!
"I have found through trial and error that I work best under duress. In fact, I work only under duress." -Ed Abbey

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2010 Ford F-150 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4 w/ FlipPac camper shell
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member
1988 32' Excella
Lambert , Montana
Oh sure, now I find the coffee grinder thread. After purchasing the above-mentioned hario I've decided to find a 12v grinder, instead. Grinding coffee by hand is just too much work before daylight for this pilgrim
the_bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We buy Tim Horton's fine grind by the case - they do the grinding for us.
Steve & Susan
WBCCI# 03876
AIR# 6511
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Just wanted to report back that we got a Zassenhous based on the recs in this thread and are very happy with it--the one that's shaped to hold between your legs. It's easy enough to adjust between different grinds by just remembering how many twists from the top it bottom to take the nut. We also just replaced our moka pot with a handpresso (manually pressurized espresso maker) for a more authentic pull. You have to pump the thing about 50 times for each shot. So our morning coffee routine provided for some good arm exercise in the morning!
[[ Captain's Log ]] Our full-time journey in our 27'FB International
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #27
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Being a coffee whore, I can interject my opinion.....

Here is a great site you will learn tons through.

CoffeeGeek - News, Reviews, Opinion and Community for Coffee and Espresso

Personally, while traveling, I like to keep the load light. No whole beans to grind, therefore one fewer gadget to bring. I bring pre ground coffee.

I am into simple one step things for the AS. I am also interested in systems which have a minimal impact on my resources (electric, gas etc)
I use a pyrex percolator. There are no filters to buy or dispose of, nothing to wash, it simply knocks out for another pot, and requires no electricity to function. Simply put it on the stove, (which we all have available all the time, even while no 110v is available) and in 5 minutes you'll have superb java. I boughy my 8 cup perc at a place in the mall called kitchen collection for $15. I have lityerally thousands of dollars invested in coffee roasting/ grinding/ brewing equipment. I have to say, this little thing makes very, very good coffee while on the road. I have no complaints!
Medelco 8 cup Glass Stovetop Percolator-PK008 PK008 at Kitchen Collection&

AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote